Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 07:23:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: My mother's a psychic, here's what she says about BTC  (Read 5539 times)
piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
September 27, 2014, 05:03:32 PM

I must be psychic too, because I concur Smiley

Do you even understand that your examples are all services? You can switch to another service in seconds and the cost of doing so is nearly zero. However, ipv4 had a first mover advantage against other packet transfer methods, inclidung vastly superior ipv6. That is the analogy that anybody who understands anything about bitcoin would make. You don't, so really, just go somewhere for 5 years.

The best analogy I can think of is: Bitcoin is like UUCP, which was invented in 1978 and was actively used for 20 years, then when TCP/IP Internet got popular, UUCP usage dropped, but one of the last legacy UUCP services was shut down only in 2012, although very few people used it since 2000.

Bitcoin now is like UUCP in 1994 when PPP connection protocol was standardized. It can still grow, but not at its prior rate, and new emerging protocols and technologies are on the rise to make it obsolete within a few years. Or even faster than that, as the time it takes to develop technologies has contracted, as numerous examples of late show.

How about this analogy?

Little better, but still misses the point. UUCP to TCP/IP is like Mastercoin is to Bitcoin - a higher level file exchange protocol on top of IP, replaced by FTP or bittorrent now. The underlying protocol, the one whose packets all routers are passing around, did never change and is being painfully upgraded for like 20 years now to overcome deadly limitations in the original implementation. Because infrastructure made tons of assumptions about tcp.ip, much like alot of assumptions about Bitcoin being the main crypto has been already made and are added daily. With each passing day it is less and less likely that bitcoin will ever be replaced by something else.

It will be extended (because it is quite extendable), modified, sure. But the bitcoin blockchain is here to stay and be the main point of reference for a trusted ledger, deal with it.

i am satoshi
albert73

Activity: 79
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 27, 2014, 06:07:01 PM

You should rather get job as a physic, if you inherited some gift from your mother, then as troll.

He obviously did not inherit his mother's gift. This guy predicted black coin would never hit 25 cents.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=469640.msg5429487#msg5429487

worldcoinindex shows its ATH was above 25 cents.

http://www.worldcoinindex.com/coin/Blackcoin
kwukduck
Legendary

Activity: 1937
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 27, 2014, 06:17:31 PM

My Aunt is psychic also and she said this is the best investment i could make...
So one of them is not a real psychic i guess...

14b8PdeWLqK3yi3PrNHMmCvSmvDEKEBh3E
POM

Activity: 547
Merit: 254

View Profile
September 27, 2014, 07:11:24 PM

My Aunt is psychic also and she said this is the best investment i could make...
So one of them is not a real psychic i guess...
I do hope your aunt is correct  Grin
frankenmint
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1018

HoneybadgerOfMoney.com Weed4bitcoin.com

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2014, 08:28:17 PM

Psychic's aside, I would imagine that they used the same tools we use to perceive a possible outcome, only difference is that psychics feel urged to state their opinions to everyone else and will use confirmation bias to justify their so called esp.

BTW I just noticed i was referenced on Boondocks  as a 'freelance honey badger'  FTW!!!! If that's not a signal to buy more btc I don't know what is. 

MatTheCat

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 27, 2014, 09:47:58 PM

First of all, I would like to see the source of your statistics here but either way, they are meaningless dude... how is the internet analogy even remotely relevant here? Did the internet beat out some other larger competitor in 1990s? The analogy doesn't work. The Dot.com and Paypal statistics are also irrelevant.

Your point seems to be that because bitcoin has very few users, it can be easily overtaken by a better cryptocurrency. You fail to realize two points here though:

1.) The investment in bitcoin by several multi-billion dollar companies gives it a huge amount of momentum. Furthermore, the fact that you can buy almost anything with bitcoin now on the internet gives it a huge amount of momentum. I had to buy something from Newegg.com the other day and didn't even realize that they take bitcoin until I went to check out, so I ended up just paying in bitcoin. You can't spend alt coins anywhere, and therefore their only purpose at the moment is to trade for a profit.

2.) The reason bitcoin isn't that popular is because cryptocurrencies in general are not that popular. As they start to become more popular, do you think people are going to jump onto the coins that nobody uses? People aren't going to go online and do research and find out what coin has the most robust security protocol or anything like that - they are going to choose the one that is most popular and that they can use the most easily. There are tons of bitcoin companies popping up everywhere and making the currency easy for everyone to use. This is not the case for any other coins.

Like I said, unless bitcoin suddenly fails for some unexpected reason (and by suddenly, I mean over the course of like one day or less), no other cryptocurrency is going to overtake it. This kind of thing doesn't happen slowly - it happens suddenly at once or it doesn't happen at all. Nobody wants to invest in a currency that nobody uses and can't be spent anywhere (except for people trying to turn a quick profit).

One of the problems with Bitcoin might well prove to be a miscalibrated rate of release of mined BTC into Bitcoin wallets. We already have about half of all Bitcoins mined, waaaaayyy before anything like a viable Bitcoin economy has had the chance to establish itself, yet we have had an astronomical price boom which has been based largely upon hoarding. Now the air is coming out of this price boom, and still 95% of all Bitcoins in existence are hoarded and are not in regular circulation.

Anyone with any kind of financial noose can by now hear the air pissing out of the Bitcoin balloon and they will also be aware of the mass of coins out there which have been purchased or mined at a fraction of the cost of even today's greatly diminished spot price. Anyone buying into Bitcoin now, does so with a huge risk of having their investment rendered as a tax to the early adopters.

On the otherhand, the number of ways in which Bitcoin can be used as a means of payment is spreading like wildfire, although the motivation for people to pay with Bitcoin isn't that great. I have been using Bitcoins since 2011. I used them because I needed to use them to buy shit on Silk Road. Thus I had a motivation and therefore I am a part of the tiny percentage of the world's population who has experience of using Bitcoin. Recently, I bought some computer hardware using Bitcoin. I didn't need to use Bitcoin but I done so simply to experience how the process ran. Aside from the inconveniance of having to buy the coins from the exchange and wait over 1 hour for the transaction to clear, which resulted in my order being auto-cancelled, which meant I had to contact Scan.co.uk's customer support to get the order reactivated and matched up with the Bitcoin transaction which was now out of my control, the transaction was 'successful'. I used Bitcoin to get what I wanted and the retailer got what they wanted. Everyone was happy, except things would have just been so much simpler had I just used debit/card payment. For the average punter, Bitcoin offers absolutely no advantages as a means of exchange over conventional banking methods and lots of inconveniences and extra expenses such as the hassle and fees involved with buying the Bitcoins to begin with, bitpay fees (yes, my goods cost me slightly more due to apying with Bitcoin), and then the prospect of the thigns being totally out of the buyers hands should a little 'mishap' occur in the transaction. Once the Bitcoins are gone, they are gone, whilst the goods or services are still to be made good on.

I conclude that outwith black market transactions, the only scenario in which a normal Joe may want to hold a stash of Bitcoins for making purchases with (lets face it, nobody is going to transfer funds to exchange, to buy Bitcoins, to make a transaction which could have been more readily and less expensively made through convential banking), would be if Bitcoin was going to slowly but steadily increse in value. Unfortunately, the opposite is proving to be true and the only thing that can save Bitcoin's market value is an increase in demand. Of course, a decrease in supply could also have the same effect but with something like an estimated 95% of all Bitcoins being classified as 'hoarded', and with the price gradually sliding south, I would suggest that supply is already limited to an extreme. Thus Bitcoin needs to get a large injection of capital from somewhere. I hear everyone pronounce 'the hedge funds will not only save Bitcoin, but propel it into the stratosphere'. Problem with that is that any large volume of capital taking a bite into the Bitcoin market is taking a bite into massive overextended glut of withheld supply. How did things work out for the venture capitalist who bought the Silk Road coins at $800 per pop, for example?

Perhaps the key ingredients for a better Bitcoin 2.0 might be

*Instant transactions

*Requiring far less computational power to support P2P network

*Much better balancing of mining rate, user adoption, and propagation of means of actually spending the damn things (and this is always going to be by far the trickiest factor to get right)

As it stands, the Bitcoin universe has been flooded with more than half of all Bitcoins that will ever exist. Despite an out and out scarcity of places in which Bitcoin adopters can actually spend their coins, we have had an enormous speculative bubble, which relied heavily on hoarding in addition to a manic rush to get on board the 'next big thing before it's too late', and in all likelihood, the price bubble also greatly relied upon fraudulent trading over at Gox, where many many Bitcoiners ended up getting burned. As a result of the precipitious acceleration of Bitcoin spot price, their was also a 'bubble' in the Bitcoin mining race. These miners however, whose computational power is vital to support the Bitcoin p2p network, need prices of around $400 I believe in order for their operations to be profitable and hence worthwhile.

I suspect that the strong likelihood is, that Bitcoin will go down in history as the harbinger of new era of monetary transactions, but will also ultimately fall foul of its own fundemantel miscalibrations in terms of requiring far too much expensive computational power and releasing too many 'units', too quickly, before a viable economy could get a chance to develop, which resulted in Bitcoin becoming a victim of the vampire known as rampant speculation.

If we had the level of Bitcoin adoption that we have today in terms of the amount of retailers willing to accept Bitcoin as a means of payment (albeit with the unit of account being in dollars, pounds, euros, etc), back in early 2012; when Bitcoin was still 'cheap', had bottomed out, and was slowly rising in value; then Bitcoin itself may well have gone on to be 'the one'. I will state again, the only conditions which would be conducive for an actual adoption of Bitcoin into the 'real economy', would be conditions where Bitcoin was slowly and steadily increasing in value. Only under these conditions would the average Joe (or anyone else for that matter) have a good reason to hold a stash of Bitcoins for making online purchases.

As things stand, I suspect the free market is going to respond to Bitcoin by stating:

"Great idea with a few fundamental flaws that are needing ironed out. Back to the drawing board with you!"

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.
Odalv
Legendary

Activity: 1400

View Profile
September 27, 2014, 10:03:51 PM

"Great idea with a few fundamental flaws that are needing ironed out. Back to the drawing board with you!"

a) I'm not sure you understand what is bitcoin, how it works and you can be strong bitcoin investor.
b) I'm not sure you can make money by trading bitcoin

- conclusion -> bitcoin is not for you.

Edit:
 but you are welcome ( as I told time ago)
MatTheCat

View Profile
September 27, 2014, 10:16:09 PM

a) I'm not sure you understand what is bitcoin, how it works and you can be strong bitcoin investor.

Edit:

and if you understand Bitcoin so well, and you are so good at trading it.....

.......why does Bitcoin keep going down, when you keep saying that it is going up?

Might the case not be, that you are simply just another clueless cunt, with no more than an average level of intelligence, that has swallowed the Kool-Aid and hence has suffered the delusion of actually thinking he is smart?

Edit: but you are welcome.

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.
Odalv
Legendary

Activity: 1400

View Profile
September 27, 2014, 10:33:49 PM

Edit:

and if you understand Bitcoin so well, and you are so good at trading it.....

.......why does Bitcoin keep going down, when you keep saying that it is going up?

Might the case not be, that you are simply just another clueless cunt, with no more than an average level of intelligence, that has swallowed the Kool-Aid and hence has suffered the delusion of actually thinking he is smart?

Edit: but you are welcome.

NP :-), I'm sinking with the ship (the idea is worth it, ... profit too)
criptix
Legendary

Activity: 2464
Merit: 1145

View Profile
September 28, 2014, 12:28:46 AM

I must be psychic too, because I concur Smiley

Do you even understand that your examples are all services? You can switch to another service in seconds and the cost of doing so is nearly zero. However, ipv4 had a first mover advantage against other packet transfer methods, inclidung vastly superior ipv6. That is the analogy that anybody who understands anything about bitcoin would make. You don't, so really, just go somewhere for 5 years.

The best analogy I can think of is: Bitcoin is like UUCP, which was invented in 1978 and was actively used for 20 years, then when TCP/IP Internet got popular, UUCP usage dropped, but one of the last legacy UUCP services was shut down only in 2012, although very few people used it since 2000.

Bitcoin now is like UUCP in 1994 when PPP connection protocol was standardized. It can still grow, but not at its prior rate, and new emerging protocols and technologies are on the rise to make it obsolete within a few years. Or even faster than that, as the time it takes to develop technologies has contracted, as numerous examples of late show.

How about this analogy?

Little better, but still misses the point. UUCP to TCP/IP is like Mastercoin is to Bitcoin - a higher level file exchange protocol on top of IP, replaced by FTP or bittorrent now. The underlying protocol, the one whose packets all routers are passing around, did never change and is being painfully upgraded for like 20 years now to overcome deadly limitations in the original implementation. Because infrastructure made tons of assumptions about tcp.ip, much like alot of assumptions about Bitcoin being the main crypto has been already made and are added daily. With each passing day it is less and less likely that bitcoin will ever be replaced by something else.

It will be extended (because it is quite extendable), modified, sure. But the bitcoin blockchain is here to stay and be the main point of reference for a trusted ledger, deal with it.

i see light in the dark, that is a really good explanation!

█████
                    ██████
                   ██████
                  ██████
                 ██████
                ██████
               ██████
              ██████
             ██████
            ██████
           ██████
          ██████
         ██████
        ██████    ██████████████████▄
       ██████     ███████████████████
      ██████                   █████
  ██████
 ███████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
 ████████████████████████████████████

█████
                     ██████
                    ██████
                   ██████
                  ██████
                 ████████████████████
                 ▀██████████████████▀
.LATTICE - A New Paradigm of Decentralized Finance.

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

▄████▄▄   ▄
█▄          ██████████▀▄
███        ███████████▀
▐████▄     ██████████▌
▄▄██████▄▄▄▄█████████▌
▀████████████████████
  ▀█████████████████
  ▄▄███████████████
   ▀█████████████▀
    ▄▄█████████▀
▀▀██████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀
Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
September 28, 2014, 03:19:30 AM

Mister contrarian indicator is back. Time to buy.

Look inside yourself, and you will see that you are the bubble.
criptix
Legendary

Activity: 2464
Merit: 1145

View Profile
September 28, 2014, 03:21:56 AM

Welcome back Mat,

could you tell us if you bought or sold?  Wink

█████
                    ██████
                   ██████
                  ██████
                 ██████
                ██████
               ██████
              ██████
             ██████
            ██████
           ██████
          ██████
         ██████
        ██████    ██████████████████▄
       ██████     ███████████████████
  ██████
 ███████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
 ████████████████████████████████████

█████
                     ██████
                    ██████
                   ██████
                  ██████
                 ████████████████████
                 ▀██████████████████▀
.LATTICE - A New Paradigm of Decentralized Finance.

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

▄████▄▄   ▄
█▄          ██████████▀▄
███        ███████████▀
▐████▄     ██████████▌
▄▄██████▄▄▄▄█████████▌
▀████████████████████
  ▀█████████████████
  ▄▄███████████████
   ▀█████████████▀
    ▄▄█████████▀
▀▀██████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀
Xer0

Activity: 826

°^°

View Profile
September 28, 2014, 05:31:32 PM

I know, you know, that I'm not telling the truth.
I know, you know, they just don't have any proof.
MatTheCat

View Profile
September 28, 2014, 08:13:26 PM

Welcome back Mat,

could you tell us if you bought or sold?  Wink

Sold fucking yonks ago in mid 500s m8, and have absolutely no inclination to buy any more Bitcoins for any reasons that go beyond Silk Road.

I am about to buy myself over £1K of PC equipment. The two e-tailers from which I am most likely to purchase from both accept Bitcoin as a means of payment. I have made just one 'legit' market purchase using Bitcoin. I done it just to see how it ran. The conclusion was that Bitcoin was both more slightly more expensive, and a much bigger pain in the arse than it would have been had I simply just paid with VISA. And since I had (and still do have) some bucks on Bitstamp, I never had the expense or the hassles of getting my fiat turned into Bitcoins in the first place.

Despite the greatly increasing number of outlets that are accepting Bitcoin as a means of settling accounts denominated in FIAT, Bitcoin just isn't offering any valuable utlility to the average Joe, or even to someone who is 'initiated' into the world of Bitcoin, such as myself. The only people who will make a point of using Bitcoin to make clear market transactions will be 'supporters' of the technology, but as we know, there are very few of those on that grander scheme of things and a bear market will ensure that they become even less in number.

For Bitcoin to make sense to anyone for use as the means of making payment it was intended to be, it would have to be both relatively stable in price, and also increasing in value. That way, someone looking to make £1K of tech purchases in the near future might be tempted, to stock up on Bitcoins knowing that:

A) If they do lose nominal value, it won't be much

B) It would be far more likely that the BTC increase in value in the time between buying them and spending them.

Any other state of affairs out with the above conditions are not conducive for Bitcoin being used as a means of settling accounts in the legit real world economy. Instead of the above, we had a stupendous specualtive bubble, and are now in the middle of a brutal correction and are almost certainly no where near the moment of final capitulation.

As a means of buying drugs on the internet, Bitcoin is great. Beyond that, Bitcoin is toxic shit.

CMMPro

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 28, 2014, 09:37:16 PM

If your mother has declared herself a "psychic"....then your mother is a fraud.

Nothing more disgusting than these pieces of shit sociopathic frauds like the "Long Island Medium"...they should all be in jail.

BittBurger

Activity: 924

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 02:02:53 AM

OP:

I think the bigger possibility is that psychic or not, she's still your mom, and she's heard all the FUD just like everyone else, and ... just like everyone else ... would advise you to sell and invest in something less risky.   Big possibility she's just stating her opinion right now.  Not being psychic at all.   Moms do that  "to protect their kids".

-B-

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
BittBurger

Activity: 924

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 02:06:02 AM

I didn't need to use Bitcoin but I done so simply to

Tuned out here.   IQ too low to listen to him further.

-B-

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 03:32:05 AM

I didn't need to use Bitcoin but I done so simply to

Tuned out here.   IQ too low to listen to him further.

-B-
Naw, today is just Drug Sunday. That's how he didn't become a millionaire you know, spent his single digit coins on drugs.

Look inside yourself, and you will see that you are the bubble.
allwelder
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1004

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 12:56:09 AM

Never be over optimistic or pessimistic with such only "math" stuff.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
MatTheCat

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 03:21:48 AM

Naw, today is just Drug Sunday. That's how he didn't become a millionaire you know, spent his single digit coins on drugs.

Say Ibian, how your 100% all-in Bitcoin investment working out for ya?

Are you still net $800 per BTC, or have ya been taking advantage of the nose-dive back to the low treble digits in order to lower yer cost average?

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: