Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 12:38:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Blockchain.info asking for private keys- is my system compromised?  (Read 1120 times)
mdotstrange (OP)

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2014, 12:43:08 AM

I have most all of my coins stored in paper wallets created with Blockchain.info

I've used Blockchain.info a ton to send/receive with my hot wallet- today after I pressed "send" to send a small amount of btc from blockchain.info using my laptop I got these browser popups that asked for the private keys to my paper wallets- I initially thought that maybe I had tried to send more btc than was in my hot wallet but that was not the case-

I use 2FA with authenticator with blockchain btw

Has anyone ever seen this? Is it normal behavior for blockchain.info or is my system/browser compromised?

Thanks!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Skinnkavaj

Activity: 469
Merit: 250

English Motherfucker do you speak it ?

View Profile
September 26, 2014, 01:09:32 AM

1. Are you on the right Blockchain.info? Not a pishing site?
2. Can it be that you have watch only addresses?
3. Have you tried logging in from another computer?

juju

Activity: 381
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 26, 2014, 01:15:25 AM

I have most all of my coins stored in paper wallets created with Blockchain.info

I've used Blockchain.info a ton to send/receive with my hot wallet- today after I pressed "send" to send a small amount of btc from blockchain.info using my laptop I got these browser popups that asked for the private keys to my paper wallets- I initially thought that maybe I had tried to send more btc than was in my hot wallet but that was not the case-

Has anyone ever seen this? Is it normal behavior for blockchain.info or is my system/browser compromised?

Thanks!

Don't paste your private key anywhere. This sounds really Phishy, I don't have any experience using Blockchain.info other than as a visual block explorer, so it might be normal.

Honestly I would advise you to never paste your private key into a dialog. I would import the private keys into a new bitcoin-qt wallet or armory wallet using https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Importprivkey , ensure that the key pairs are generated on a new operating system offline, then format over this OS after making redundant offline backups. Nuke your current machine and get new ip.

If you want to use Blockchain.info try out their mobile app. avoid using it on a traditional computer, create a few transactions on the offline machine then broadcast an amount of Bitcoin your comfortable losing into your new mobile wallet. (I would check out the breadwallet if you have iOS)
santaClause

Activity: 183
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 26, 2014, 01:47:42 AM

I would speculate that the amount being sent was more then what is available in your hot wallet, and you have your paper wallets loaded on your 'account' as a watch only address, so blockchain.info was trying to spend the funds because it had to but didn't have the private keys.

Were you trying to spend more that was available in your hot wallet on your specific blockchain.info account?

If this is not the case then you may have some kind of male-ware
mdotstrange (OP)

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2014, 02:04:56 AM

I had enough funds in my hot wallet for the transaction and after canceling the private key requests the transaction went through fine.

And yes my paper wallets are watch only so maybe for some reason it was trying to draw funds from them-

I'm going to reformat my laptop just in case- thank you for the replies.
The00Dustin

Activity: 807
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 26, 2014, 09:58:09 AM

male-ware
sexist or feminist?
I had enough funds in my hot wallet for the transaction and after canceling the private key requests the transaction went through fine.

And yes my paper wallets are watch only so maybe for some reason it was trying to draw funds from them-

I'm going to reformat my laptop just in case- thank you for the replies.
Better safe than sorry, however, if you had malware that was trying to get your private keys, I would suspect it would have also stolen the remaining contents of your online wallet while you were logged into blockchain.info.  The only reasons I could imagine this not happening are as follows:
1) It can't tell what the hot and cold funds are, so the prompt was caused by malware attempting to steal it all that and hitting cancel thwarted it.
2) You use 2FA and a separate authorization code is required for each transaction, even back to back.

Regardless, if I were unsure in your scenario, I would move my hot funds to a completely different wallet generated separately out of an abundance of caution, however, I have no experience with blockchain.info wallets, so I don't know if this would be necessary, beneficial, or even possible.
Sarahiko

Activity: 772
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 26, 2014, 10:01:28 AM

Same thing happen to me when i tried to send bitcoin from a watch only address, so maybe that would be the case
BitCoinDream
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1204

The revolution will be digital

View Profile
September 26, 2014, 10:02:32 AM

Thanks!

This is a highly abnormal behavior from blockchain.info and U r definitely compromised. Please provide us the URL u used to log into blockchain.info as there are numerous phishing site of similar name.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: