Bitcoin Forum
December 03, 2016, 12:29:06 AM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.13.1  [Torrent].

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Recommendation: 28c3: Bitcoin - An Analysis Video held on 28th CCC in Berlin  (Read 836 times)
Spekulatius
Legendary

Activity: 1022

View Profile
May 06, 2012, 08:25:45 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlWyTqL1hFA

Prof. Dr. Stefan Katzenbeisser (working in the Security Engineering Group of the Computer Science Department at the Darmstadt Technische Universität, Germany)
& Prof. Dr. Kay Hamacher (working in several departments at the before mentioned university) hold a lecture on Bitcoin at the 28th Chaos Communication Congress on the 27th - 30th of December 2011 in Berlin. Economical, technical and anonymity issues are addressed and analysed.

Its a good run down on all these issues from a scientifical point of view. I would suggest to everyone being interested in the future capacities and issues bitcoin is going to face, to watch it. (After a newbe explanation of 'what bitcoin is', the real action starts at around 12:40) Wink

This thread shall provide a place to review and share oppinions on the points made in the video.
(for better clarity & referentiality, Ill group every point of controversy named in this thread with a numberand time code)

Although not having watched all of it, I already would like to point out some statements made in the video, that I disagree with:

#1: At 18:43 Hamacher concludes from his analysis of bitcoin use, that Bitcoin is a luxurious good (superior good) because its used more, as it becomes more expensive.

He fails to realize, that bitcoin is predominantly (my assumption) used as a medium of speculation. Naturally more of it is used (volume) as prices go up.

#2. At 22:15 Hamacher states, that Bitcoin will vanish ultimately, because of loss of bitcoins (lost backups, forgotten passwords,..). He predicts at a rate of 5% loss per year that bitcoin will vanish around 2031.

He misses the fact, that 1 Bitcoin can be divided infinitely. Therefore even 1 Bitcoin in existence would suffice as medium of exchange in a world economic relying on bitcoin on a daily basis. Also: If every year (according to his statement) 1% of all Bitcoins not "lost", would be lost, we would never hit zero. If I loose 1 Bitcoin this year, starting with 10 BTC and keep loosing 1% of what I have every year, I would still have 3.6603 BTC after 100 years!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 1848

View Profile
May 06, 2012, 10:51:03 PM

I liked the one from the CCC Camp in summer more...

Anyways: Why discuss + dissect it now? The video is already nearly half a year old...

https://bitfinex.com <-- leveraged trading of BTCUSD, LTCUSD and LTCBTC (long and short) - 10% discount on fees for the first 30 days with this refcode: x5K9YtL3Zb
Mail me at Bitmessage: BM-BbiHiVv5qh858ULsyRDtpRrG9WjXN3xf
Spekulatius
Legendary

Activity: 1022

View Profile
May 06, 2012, 11:42:47 PM

yeah, but the questions raised are still actual. Apart from that, I coulndt find anywhere else, it was discussed.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.