Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 12:07:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Less reward per block next year?  (Read 1783 times)
StasConstantine (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 07, 2012, 12:27:54 AM

Really? I just got into all this mining/bitcoin business and they are cutting rewards in half? This sucks, is there any possible way that they go up again? I'm not entirely familiar with the system and how it works..

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
yogi
Legendary

Activity: 947
Merit: 1042

Hamster ate my bitcoin

View Profile
May 07, 2012, 12:35:12 AM

No, block reward will half about every four years. Eventually there will be no reward and miners will be financed entirely by transaction fees.

But difficulty will adjust and this is also important for calculating mining profits.

StasConstantine (OP)

View Profile
May 07, 2012, 12:49:25 AM

But aren't transaction fees optional?
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 07, 2012, 12:59:34 AM

Don't know about fees but the price of BTC should rise soon after the reduction,by how much ? Who knows Huh

Maybe to $10  Huh

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
May 07, 2012, 01:04:56 AM

they are cutting rewards in half?

They?

It is an algorithm.

But for the when, .. sometime around December 9th, plus or minus a week.
 - http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=67185.0

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

yogi
Legendary

Hamster ate my bitcoin

View Profile
May 07, 2012, 01:11:05 AM

In the future miners will probably only include transactions that have at least a minimum % fee, and if you want your transaction to be processed in a reasonable amount of time you will have to pay it.

It is uncertain at this time what effect the reward drop will have on bitcoins value.

But my guess is the value will drop before hand due to this uncertainty and then rise again after.

publio

Activity: 64
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 07, 2012, 01:13:21 AM

Don't know about fees but the price of BTC should rise soon after the reduction,by how much ? Who knows Huh

Maybe to $10  Huh

Care to explain your reasoning?  Huh

Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4340
Merit: 3042

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
May 07, 2012, 01:24:05 AM

But aren't transaction fees optional?

Yes, but miners processing zero-fee transactions is also optional. Wink

To elaborate, right now the block reward is so large that miners just don't care about transactions fees, and are (usually) willing to process zero-fee transactions simply because it makes no significant difference to their profit whether transaction fees are included or not. But after the block reward drops a few times, miners will start prioritising transactions with high fees (because that's where their profit is) while transactions with low or no fees get ignored.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
Fuzzy

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 07, 2012, 01:33:37 AM

Really? I just got into all this mining/bitcoin business and they are cutting rewards in half? This sucks, is there any possible way that they go up again? I'm not entirely familiar with the system and how it works..

LOL, there's your problem right there. If you spent 30 min reading the wiki page, you'd know the block reward is set to halve every time half the remaining coins are mined. 21,000,000 / 2 = 10,500,000, right now we're at 8,949,150.

StasConstantine (OP)

View Profile
May 07, 2012, 01:38:01 AM

How much do you think the fees will go up?
yogi
Legendary

Hamster ate my bitcoin

View Profile
May 07, 2012, 01:45:27 AM

The cost of mining is related to difficulty, so the fee will adjust to whatever people are prepared to pay.

But remember the lower the difficulty the less secure bitcoin will be.

So a better question is, how much are you prepared to pay in order to keep bitcoin secure.

Fuzzy

View Profile
May 07, 2012, 01:56:02 AM

The cost of mining is related to difficulty, so the fee will adjust to whatever people are prepared to pay.

But remember the lower the difficulty the less secure bitcoin will be.

So a better question is, how much are you prepared to pay in order to keep bitcoin secure.

I'm 99% certain the rules will be changed to keep miners and therefore the securers of the network online. Possibly in the form of an increased Total Coin ceiling.

I just don't see 50% of the network sticking around for the "fees".

But that's at least a decade away from becoming a real problem, there'll be other currencies by then.

Perhaps a new currency will be started that secures the BTC network while issuing it's own currency.

Man, this is gonna be interesting, can't wait.  Grin
yogi
Legendary

Hamster ate my bitcoin

View Profile
May 07, 2012, 02:01:52 AM

We are already paying fees.

The constant creation of coins lowers the value of all existing coins.

The only reason we don't notice this is because the number of $ invested in bitcoins is also going up.

Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4340
Merit: 3042

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
May 07, 2012, 02:10:24 AM

I'm 99% certain the rules will be changed to keep miners and therefore the securers of the network online. Possibly in the form of an increased Total Coin ceiling.
The rules cannot and will not change. The total number of coins cannot be increased.

I do. Right now, fees are about 0.1% of the block reward (at least they were last time I checked). If the fee per transaction stays the same and transaction volume increases by 1000 times, the resulting total fees will be equivalent to the current block reward. There's no problem here unless transaction volume doesn't increase enough, in which case Bitcoin is doomed anyway.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
Fuzzy

View Profile
May 07, 2012, 02:55:58 AM

The constant creation of coins lowers the value of all existing coins.

Again, that depends on the votes of the miners and whether or not a slight decrease in value is worth the security a larger network would provide.

The rules cannot and will not change. The total number of coins cannot be increased.

Not sure if you're trolling, or just ignorant.

I do. Right now, fees are about 0.1% of the block reward (at least they were last time I checked). If the fee per transaction stays the same and transaction volume increases by 1000 times, the resulting total fees will be equivalent to the current block reward. There's no problem here unless transaction volume doesn't increase enough, in which case Bitcoin is doomed anyway.

By the time the transaction volume increases by 1000x, the number of miners will also have increased by a significant amount, reducing everyone's share of the fee.
StasConstantine (OP)

View Profile
May 07, 2012, 03:13:55 AM

From what I'm reading right now what you guys posted the only thing i see is: Market Collapse
Graet
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2012, 03:20:16 AM

there seems to be a misconception that in a free market the miners control the price - this is incorrect, the market determines the price. The only way miners can affect the price strongly is by dumping coins and crashing the market - sort of the opposite of what most miners desire...

there will only ever be 21million Bitcoins produced - no troll, go read some stuff before accusing ppl of ignorance
from
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitcoin
Currency
Unlike conventional fiat currency, Bitcoin has no centralized issuing authority.[13][22][23] The network is programmed to grow the money supply as a geometric series until the total number of bitcoins reaches 21 million BTC

| Ozcoin Pooled Mining Pty Ltd https://ozcoin.net Double Geometric Reward System https://lc.ozcoin.net for Litecoin mining DGM| https://crowncloud.net VPS and Dedicated Servers for the BTC community
Fuzzy

View Profile
May 07, 2012, 03:21:00 AM

Market Collapse

Completely possible, but being decentralized, Bitcoin is far more rooted than any Fiat currency. So regardless of how it collapses, it will always exist in some form.

That's the idea, anyway.
Fuzzy

View Profile
May 07, 2012, 03:24:22 AM

Not sure if you're trolling, or just ignorant.
there will only ever be 21million Bitcoins produced - no troll, go read some stuff before accusing ppl of ignorance

Never said there would be. But the rules of bitcoin can be changed, whether you like it or not.
StasConstantine (OP)

View Profile
May 07, 2012, 03:25:20 AM

is there any way to remove the 21 million limit? it would be cooler if the limit was somehow tied with the ammount of users using bitcoin, or ammount of transactions there were in past few blocks, or something like that
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: