Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 01:44:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: If you found a servie that you could get "extra" bitcoins from?
Get as many bitcoins as possable and run. - 5 (31.3%)
Tell everyone so everyone can have a go. - 2 (12.5%)
Report the bug and keep quite. - 3 (18.8%)
Report the bug and tell everyone. - 1 (6.3%)
Report the bug and tell everyone when it is fixed. - 4 (25%)
None of the above.  (Please explain) - 1 (6.3%)
Total Voters: 16

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: If you found a servie that you could get "extra" bitcoins from?  (Read 1182 times)
QuickQuestion (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 26, 2014, 09:50:15 PM

I am interested to know how the bitcoin community feels about things like this for some research I am doing.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
bitcoinbot

Activity: 357
Merit: 130

View Profile
September 26, 2014, 09:53:14 PM

I don't seem able to vote so I will just say

Report the bug and tell everyone when it is fixed.
inBitweTrust

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 26, 2014, 10:06:32 PM

I am interested to know how the bitcoin community feels about things like this for some research I am doing.

I would follow a responsible disclosure policy and secretly report the issue and  give an appropriate amount of time to fix. I would suggest they reward the favor by contributing to a charity of my choice. The manner and amount of time one allows the vulnerability to be patched is dependent upon the circumstance and severity of the case. This is somewhat of a complex ethical discussion where many considerations have to be made as briefly outlined here:
https://www.eff.org/issues/coders/vulnerability-reporting-faq

libivan

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 26, 2014, 10:22:43 PM
Last edit: September 27, 2014, 02:06:15 AM by libivan

It happened to me something alike: last week I was playing around in one of the dice BTC sites, and then there was this bug that out of nothing multiplied my balance to way more than 1 BTC (when, at first, I had only the free faucet initial credit).

I informed the admins and they fixed it instantly. They gave me a reward of about 10% of the bug credit. (moments after, I lost the reward gambling there  Cry)
Traffic4u

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 26, 2014, 10:31:21 PM

The ethical thing to do is to report the bug and once the security hold that previously allowed this is patched to make the bug public so anyone holding their bitcoin with that site/service is aware. If after some "reasonable" amount of time the bug has not been addressed then it would be appropriate to make the bug public.

I do think that many people would likely exploit the bug (regardless of what they say publicly) until the hot wallet of the site/service has run dry
TrailingComet

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 27, 2014, 04:34:04 AM

I would like to believe that I would be ethical and report the bug. Like to believe.
Most likely folks would pocket small amounts and report big amounts at risk thru a bug

odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3208

View Profile
September 27, 2014, 05:14:27 AM

I have too much self-respect to steal money from other people. I am not so desperate that I have to steal, so I don't.

I prefer to help someone avoid losing money to thieves and other scum. If you saw someone robbing an old lady, would you help her or would you join in?

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
williamj2543

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Get ready for PrimeDice Sig Campaign!

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2014, 05:15:50 AM

Depends if its ethical or not. If its a limited investment program, why not, but if its a hack or something like double spending, then no. It would make me feel too bad.

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
sandykho47

Activity: 252
Merit: 251

Knowledge its everything

View Profile
September 27, 2014, 05:44:15 AM

Get as many bitcoin i can & tell everyone  Grin
And report to admin when i got bored  Smiley

Kemampuanku Tidak semua orang memiliki dan dapat melakukannya . Tidak memakan kaum sendiri . dan mempunyai kode etik yang tidak masuk akal.
CryptoCarmen

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

★Bitin.io★ - Instant Exchange

View Profile
September 27, 2014, 11:49:39 AM

It happened to me something alike: last week I was playing around in one of the dice BTC sites, and then there was this bug that out of nothing multiplied my balance to way more than 1 BTC (when, at first, I had only the free faucet initial credit).

I informed the admins and they fixed it instantly. They gave me a reward of about 10% of the bug credit. (moments after, I lost the reward gambling there  Cry)

Well, i hope you learned the lesson from this.
twister

Activity: 672
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2014, 12:14:20 PM

I voted for "report the bug and keep quiet" but I would tell the website owners, other than that I would keep quiet as some people might take advantage of that bug. And I would hope to get rewarded but normally it doesn't happens.

Few time back I reported a bug I found on a dice site and they just fixed it and went on with their business and told me that they didn't found any bugs.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████