Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 08:50:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Moderated Monero General Discussion Thread  (Read 11134 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
5w00p

Activity: 644
Merit: 502

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 08:43:49 PM

I noticed that HitBTC already has BTC/EURO and LTC/EURO pairs. Do you think it would be a stretch to add an XMR/EUR pair?

They already have the infrastructure/legal stuff to receive funds in EURO and XMR. So given enough incentive it should be feasible. Am I missing something?

Yes, I think you are missing the fact that those two coins have MUCH greater market cap than XMR.

http://coinmarketcap.com/
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 10:05:01 PM

Thanks for the reply david. OP updated.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
Jojatekok

Activity: 264
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 05:08:33 AM

It would be nice if MEW or the core devs set up a Monero wiki, similar to the Bitcoin wiki (https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Main_Page). It's a bit hard for newbies to navigate Bitcointalk to find accurate and up-to-date information, given the level of anti-Monero FUD and trolling.

There is one here http://monero.wikia.com/ but it is focused on development. Personally, I find it a shame to "burn" the monero name for development wiki - it should have a greater scheme than that. I don't remember who is the creator of the wiki, but I suggest anyway that we start writing some topics out of dev here. It is always possible to use a "development" category to isolate devving from the rest.

Greetings!

I am the creator of the wiki, and it was primarily made with a purpose of creating space for official development-related schemes. I asked the dev team whether there should be content for the general audience, but they told me that they were already working on a wiki, if I recall correctly.

Anyway, PM me if you want to have administrator access to the Monero Wikia page.

Code:
Monero  (XMR): 47hK4gehaMrFTQCiV5FEmM54hpqTrdHudb9nUBG88NicBDpxH4TGuh3TmW84Dc6dpMiEiBLGvJCuT3xC3LNHctmx7mG8NLM
Bitcoin (BTC): 14wHehBtFt321WTV15khon8Juaxh9drnfJ
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 03:43:57 PM

Fiat pairs in Europe:

CCEDK will offer XMREUR, XMRUSD, XMRRUR, XMRDKK beginning Saturday, October 4th (or possibly Friday night).

https://cryptocointalk.com/topic/17639-october-news-at-ccedk-2fa-dropdown-menu-happy-hour-maraton-trading-and-100-trading-pairs-end-of-first-week/

http://cointelegraph.com/news/112630/if-we-cant-use-paypal-100-what-is-the-purpose-then-ronny-boesing-ceo-ccedk

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
papa_lazzarou

Activity: 649
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 05:21:53 PM

^^^ Sorry, what were you saying?

I noticed that HitBTC already has BTC/EURO and LTC/EURO pairs. Do you think it would be a stretch to add an XMR/EUR pair?

They already have the infrastructure/legal stuff to receive funds in EURO and XMR. So given enough incentive it should be feasible. Am I missing something?

Yes, I think you are missing the fact that those two coins have MUCH greater market cap than XMR.

http://coinmarketcap.com/
aminorex
Legendary

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 06:40:59 PM

The existence of an XMR/fiat exchange with coverage of EUR and USD in a developed jurisdiction seems very positive to me.  It means that XMR will be less coupled to BTC, and accessible to anyone willing to send funds by bank wire or SEPA.  It may constitute a liquidity event, if interest is high enough.  However, it will not make XMR more usable.  Only DB and GUI work can do that.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
papa_lazzarou

Activity: 649
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 08:34:28 PM

@aminorex: it wasn't directed at you. Just pulling 5w00p's leg. Smiley
aminorex
Legendary

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 02:00:51 AM

From the quiescence of this thread, in contrast to the rapid growth of the free-for-all thread, I feel forced to conclude that people are idiots.

TooDumbForBitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 02:05:52 AM

From the quiescence of this thread, in contrast to the rapid growth of the free-for-all thread, I feel forced to conclude that people are idiots.

Wait, you're what, 45 to 55?  And you're just concluding that? 

I don't believe you.

▄▄                                  ▄▄
 ███▄                            ▄███
  ██████                      ██████
   ███████                  ███████
    ███████                ███████
     ███████              ███████
      ███████            ███████
       ███████▄▄      ▄▄███████
        ██████████████████████
         ████████████████████
          ██████████████████
           ████████████████
            ██████████████
             ███████████
              █████████
               ███████
                █████
                 ██
                  █
veil|     PRIVACY    
     WITHOUT COMPROMISE.      
▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
|   NO ICO. NO PREMINE. 
   X16RT GPU Mining. Fair distribution.  
|      The first Zerocoin-based Cryptocurrency      
   WITH ALWAYS-ON PRIVACY.  
|

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

▄███████
   ████████
   ███▀
   ███
██████████
██████████
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███

▄▄█▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀▀█▄▄
   ▐██▄▄██████████████▄▄██▌
   ████████████████████████
  ▐████████████████████████▌
  ███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
 ▐██████     ████     ██████▌
 ███████     ████     ███████
▐████████▄▄▄██████▄▄▄████████▌
▐████████████████████████████▌
 █████▄▄▀▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀▄▄█████
  ▀▀██████          ██████▀▀
      ▀▀▀            ▀▀▀
generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2014, 04:53:28 AM

Wait, you're what, 45 to 55?  And you're just concluding that? 

I don't believe you.

Many people are motivated by fear--and I believe the motivating fear acting here is: if you let trolls rule the unmoderated thread, that new users will be influenced by FUD and the adoption rate won't increase. At least that's why some days, and depending on my anxiety level,  I go to the wasteland instead of relaxing on a nice soft comfy chair.

rdnkjdi
Legendary

Activity: 1256
Merit: 1009

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 05:04:17 AM

Fear is the natural opposite side of greed when it comes to investing/gambling (crypto does not deserve to be classified as "investing")

Anon136
Legendary

Merit: 1217

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 05:14:25 AM

(crypto does not deserve to be classified as "investing")

If you are going to make a statement like that than you need to qualify it. Many if not most people on this forum would disagree. If you are going to make an assertion that almost everyone would disagree with than it needs to be accompanied by an argument, else it looks a lot like trolling.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
rdnkjdi
Legendary

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 05:25:33 AM

If you are going to make a statement like that than you need to qualify it. Many if not most people on this forum would disagree. If you are going to make an assertion that almost everyone would disagree with than it needs to be accompanied by an argument, else it looks a lot like trolling.

The gambling/investing assertion wasn't necessary for my primary point.  Fear & greed are the two emotional sides of eithe gambling or investing.  I could write a long post explaining my perception of the two but I'm on my phone right now o.0
generalizethis
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2014, 05:38:23 AM

The gambling/investing assertion wasn't necessary for my primary point.  Fear & greed are the two emotional sides of eithe gambling or investing.  I could write a long post explaining my perception of the two but I'm on my phone right now o.0

That's imposing the argument that negative energies must create "negative" energies. But isn't Love and Hate a more apt to any ying/yang model. I would say the opposite of Greed is Giving and the opposite of Cowardice is Bravery--I changed fear to cowardice because fear is a primary energy that can be viewed as good or bad. I'm afraid of being arrested, so I follow laws: I'm afraid of not getting rich, so I break the law; I'm afraid of not living my life completely, so I grab a hold as many experiences as possible; I'm afraid of the unknown, so I don't try new things....

rdnkjdi
Legendary

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 05:51:43 AM
Last edit: October 02, 2014, 06:03:09 AM by rdnkjdi

Having a tough time figuring out what you're saying.  Fear or greed can be good or bad (if that's how you want to look at it).  Fear kept people from making fortunes with bitcoin.  Greed made people lose fortunes.  Depending on timing and a lot of other stuff.

I was just replying to the person who was implying fear was chasing away noobs.   Of course greed and fear are two NATURAL sides of the coin (no pun intended)

My point I guess was just that greed and fear are two opposite emotions in the investment/gambling arena.

I agree with your other stuff about generosity vs greed & fear of missing life experiences vs fear of dying.  Just not sure those are as applicable as investing/gambling
generalizethis
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2014, 06:27:02 AM

Having a tough time figuring out what you're saying.  Fear or greed can be good or bad (if that's how you want to look at it).  Fear kept people from making fortunes with bitcoin.  Greed made people lose fortunes.  Depending on timing and a lot of other stuff.

I was just replying to the person who was implying fear was chasing away noobs.   Of course greed and fear are two NATURAL sides of the coin (no pun intended)

My point I guess was just that greed and fear are two opposite emotions in the investment/gambling arena.

I agree with your other stuff about generosity vs greed & fear of missing life experiences vs fear of dying.  Just not sure those are as applicable as investing/gambling

Not sure if we're on the same page, but can give some clear examples of fear being flipped in the gambling/investing world:

I'm afraid of making a bad investment, so I research and track every investment I make/ I'm afraid of making a bad investment, so I make no investments at all or trust second party's as infallible (ahem--Madoff).

I'm afraid of making a bad bet, so I research odds and hone my instincts with practice/ I'm afraid of making a bad bet, so I never bet.

I'm afraid of not making my money back, so I spend more time researching and making calculated risks so as to ensure my results are better with each coming move/ I'm afraid that I won't make back the money I lost, so I frantically invest in long shots that promise to pay off big.

rpietila
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 11:26:20 AM

The existence of an XMR/fiat exchange with coverage of EUR and USD in a developed jurisdiction seems very positive to me.  It means that XMR will be less coupled to BTC, and accessible to anyone willing to send funds by bank wire or SEPA.  It may constitute a liquidity event, if interest is high enough.  However, it will not make XMR more usable.  Only DB and GUI work can do that.

Can you send me PM a memo how to get in there. I think they need more liquidity soon  Grin

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
McHaggis

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 12:23:36 PM

One of the first things I was going to suggest was the creation or funding of a second or third major XMR exchange with high voulme, excelent usability (specifically on smart devices) and no chat box.
whoknowsthisnose

Activity: 47

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 12:29:10 PM

I think they need more liquidity soon

Indeed. As a quite new exchange they have very low volumes at all markets.
I just signed in yesterday and will give all my guppy-power to improve, but this will not make any markable move. My hope is, many will follow and even some other species like dolphins, sperm whales and other big mammals. And of course last but not least some bigger reptilias (sometimes cold blood can be very helpful  Wink )

whoknowsthisnose

Activity: 47

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 12:54:17 PM

I just got an answer to my ticket at CCEDK, how to verify my identity (the KYC-thing). As mentioned in their FAQ it neccessary to deposit/withdraw larger amounts of fiat (i. e. > 100 EUR).

With the permission of Ronny Boesing I paste it here for your information:

You are very welcome
|
| You are very welcome to send me following information, so we know you are you!
|
| Validation procedures: You may avoid any delays in regards to deposit and withdrawal in this matter by sending copy of passport or national ID to verify your identity, a copy of either utility or electricity bill to verify your address, and a phone number to verify these documents and yourself, should that be considered necessary. Please send these details via our mojohelp desk as per mentioned link:  http://ccedk.mojohelpdesk.com start new ticket, and mention in subject: Validation, User ID and User name. We will after receipt, delete from mojohelpdesk and save information on a secure server. All of this information will not be shared with anybody else, according to our privacy policy mentioned on site.
|
| Hope to have your info, and start deposit asap
|
| Once again welcome.
|
| Rgds
|
| Ronny Boesing
| CCEDK
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: