Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 10:05:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Moderated Monero General Discussion Thread  (Read 11134 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
David Latapie

Activity: 658
Merit: 503

Monero Core Team

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2014, 12:32:11 AM

[...] the GUI is coming hopefully by Christmas. [...]

Can a core dev confirm this is indeed the time frame we're looking at?
This is our guesstimation. You should better interpret it as "not before Christmas" than "at Christmas". And of course, it could happen that a time warp (pun intented) makes it available earlier.

Monero: the first crytocurrency to bring bank secrecy and net neutrality to the blockchain.HyperStake: pushing the limits of staking.
Reputation threadFree bitcoins: reviews, hints…: freebitco.in, freedoge.co.in, qoinpro
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Its About Sharing
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

Antifragile

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 07:41:54 PM

Not even a mention of GUI...  Sad

The missive is weekly, and the GUI is coming hopefully by Christmas. There is no need to mention it in every weekly bulletin unless there is something available for trial use or something Smiley

Otherwise excellent, very well written summary about the forum! I will have to join soon. My joining is the stress test to any software, because I am naturally dumb, and totally incapable of doing anything lower-level stuff with computers (most higher-level also, but my Excel skills keep me alive year after year). I will come back screaming YIPPEE when the registration has worked fine  Grin

Incidentally, we just started a MEW vote concerning whether to move "our" discussion to a new forum or try to continue discussing here. Since the announcement that a new dedicated forum actually is available, the support from members has moved to support the new forum.

I think it is a bit soon to start moving Monero content away. Just a simple reason: More people are going to discover Monero here. The Crypto field is in its infancy and outside of Bitcoin having it's own forum, I can't think of any other Cryptos that would warrant their own as well. Just my .02

IAS

ps - Really looking forward to Christmas  Grin

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
myagui
Legendary

Activity: 1154
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 10:55:38 PM

[...] I think it is a bit soon to start moving Monero content away. Just a simple reason: More people are going to discover Monero here. The Crypto field is in its infancy and outside of Bitcoin having it's own forum, I can't think of any other Cryptos that would warrant their own as well. [...]

While I agree that more people are going to discover Monero here, I just don't think that a dedicated Monero forum will take much away from that. The threads here - at least the main ones - will continue to exist and will most likely continue to enjoy significant activity.

The dedicated forum just adds to what already exists, a new location that effectively brings Monero to focus. A location where the Monero community can start taking a stronger shape and take on honest discussions about Monero's direction.

smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 10:59:20 PM

While I agree that more people are going to discover Monero here, I just don't think that a dedicated Monero forum will take much away from that. The threads here - at least the main ones - will continue to exist and will most likely continue to enjoy significant activity.

The dedicated forum just adds to what already exists, a new location that effectively brings Monero to focus. A location where the Monero community can start taking a stronger shape and take on honest discussions about Monero's direction.

Well said. I think the best answer is to continue to use both.

Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
October 09, 2014, 03:29:48 PM

[...] I think it is a bit soon to start moving Monero content away. Just a simple reason: More people are going to discover Monero here. The Crypto field is in its infancy and outside of Bitcoin having it's own forum, I can't think of any other Cryptos that would warrant their own as well. [...]

hear, hear

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
Anon136
Legendary

Merit: 1217

View Profile
October 16, 2014, 05:28:44 AM

It looks like this thread is dying. Maybe it will become active again when monero rallies and the trolls crawl out of the woodworks.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2014, 07:31:34 AM

It looks like this thread is dying. Maybe it will become active again when monero rallies and the trolls crawl out of the woodworks.
Don't confuse signal:noise ratio with death.
There is a lot happening, not all of it is ready for open discussion.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
October 16, 2014, 07:33:42 AM

The discussion on the original thread has been much better lately so less clamoring for a moderated thread. It is nice that this one is here though, in case things get bad again (they probably will).

rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Merit: 1036

View Profile
October 16, 2014, 04:52:43 PM

Don't confuse signal:noise ratio with death.
There is a lot happening, not all of it is ready for open discussion.

Some even is, yet trolls continue to paint it black:

How can it be bad for Monero if it is adopted as a mandatory currency in a world with potentially millions of people?

Don't you know that such things tie up enormous amounts, which has a tendency to prop up the price, which makes the millions of people get interested as they see the value rising, which makes them invest serious amounts?

If this is unclear, perhaps graduation from level0=troll is not happening soon... Grin

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
Roccker

Activity: 264
Merit: 111

View Profile
October 16, 2014, 05:07:34 PM

Monero is not listed in 388 cryptocoins at cryptocoinrank?
http://www.cryptocoinrank.com

The Case for Bitcoin:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4882599.msg43979219#msg43979219

[am a noob]
update 2018: not total newb anymore i guess- now turned megalomaniac
pa

Activity: 528
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 16, 2014, 07:50:06 PM

How was Bitcoin being used when its price was about $1? Were there any merchants accepting it back then? What were the first steps in the development of its economy before Silk Road?

Of course history won't repeat itself, but what can Monero learn from Bitcoin's first couple of years?
farfiman
Legendary

Activity: 1449
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 03:06:07 PM

Monero is not listed in 388 cryptocoins at cryptocoinrank?
http://www.cryptocoinrank.com
strangely enough, bbr isn't either... pattern?

"We are just fools. We insanely believe that we can replace one politician with another and something will really change. The ONLY possible way to achieve change is to change the very system of how government functions. Until we are prepared to do that, suck it up for your future belongs to the madness and corruption of politicians."
Martin Armstrong
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 04:41:51 PM

How was Bitcoin being used when its price was about $1? Were there any merchants accepting it back then? What were the first steps in the development of its economy before Silk Road?

Of course history won't repeat itself, but what can Monero learn from Bitcoin's first couple of years?

I was around for single digits but not $1. I remember there being a few merchants. For example alpaca socks and a few VPS providers, and people selling some mining gadgets such as pcie risers. I don't remember much else. For the most part everything was focused on either mining or speculation (MtGox).

pa

Activity: 528
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 05:04:48 PM

I was around for single digits but not $1. I remember there being a few merchants. For example alpaca socks and a few VPS providers, and people selling some mining gadgets such as pcie risers. I don't remember much else. For the most part everything was focused on either mining or speculation (MtGox).

I guess Roger Ver's MemoryDealers was the first big merchant to get on board. A trip down memory lane:

I've been reading all about bitcoins the last few nights and I am sold on the idea.

I'm proud to announce that http://www.memorydealers.com will now formally accept bit coins.

We are a decent size company with about 30 employees with expected sales revenue of close to $10M USD for 2011

If anyone needs any networking equipment,  I would be happy to help,  and I will accept payment in bit coins.
(Cisco, 3com, Foundry, Juniper, etc.  We specialize in transceivers such as GBIC, SFP+, X2, XFP etc)

If anyone has any experience implementing bitcoin into a normal website shopping cart,  please contact me.
I will have a bitcoin advertising banner on my website after our next website update.  (about 2 more weeks)

If you guys are happy with my efforts,  please feel free to send a few bitcoins my way.

15AERx25L4pD9tkKYoYxWgMSuvVNaNhvXG

Please let me know if you have any other thoughts or ideas on how I can help bitcoin grow along with my own business.

Roger Ver

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  All
  Print  

Jump to: