Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 08:21:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: use *coin for rating points in a news portal (or blog)?  (Read 896 times)
EskimoBob (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

Quality Printing Services by Federal Reserve Bank

View Profile
May 07, 2012, 06:01:09 AM

Friends of mine have a news site that has existed for over 11 years. They use "Slashdot like" karma points system for comments and users.
Plan is to move this site to Drupal and start using BTC (or LTC?) instead of just points. Now users can have BTC in the bank and not just good karma Smiley

Plan is this:
1) Generate a BTC address for every user, who has posted at least N comments in last X months.
2) Transfer Y coins (10-??) to every BTC address for free (users can add coin to this account number)
3) Every time you mod a comment or article, coins are transferred
4) Readers can tip writers the same way

Comments and suggestions are welcome.

BTW, do any of you like to program this module for Drupal 7.n?

While reading what I wrote, use the most friendliest and relaxing voice in your head.
BTW, Things in BTC bubble universes are getting ugly....

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
May 07, 2012, 09:01:07 AM

1) Generate a BTC address for every user, who has posted at least N comments in last X months.
3) Every time you mod a comment or article, coins are transferred
Comments and suggestions are welcome.

Paying using a quantitative metric and not qualitative metric will likely not give the results you are looking for.  Especially if a bot can profit from it.

As far as a forum which acts as a wallet as well, Ogrr does this.

Witcoin used to do this. 

It's quite a task to get users to pay:

Witcoin couldn't figure out how.

CoinSmack was along the same lines:
 - http://coinsmack.com

There have been calls from Reddit /r/bitcoin to add these features (e.g., tipping).  Reddit is open source so it may happen someday.

Quora has a Quora credits incentive system that has had mixed reviews.

There should be a winning approach where micropayments can help build and foster community and participation, but it has been elusive so far.  I see success from the crowdsource microlabor task platforms (TaskRabbit,  Zaarly, etc.) but those are a "do this and get X" type of concept.  When it goes lower to Q&A types of sites (e.g., Quora, Reddit) or Forums, people won't pay for service nor tip.  At least that's that what I'm seeing.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

EskimoBob (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

Quality Printing Services by Federal Reserve Bank

View Profile
May 08, 2012, 10:33:19 AM

Good points Stephen Gornick. Thank you.
We had a plan to kick start the tipping by depositing a small amount to every active account.
I started to think about using LTC (litecoin) because buying 1000 LTC costs close to nothing and the tip's can be "bigger numbers".
Do you like to receive a tip for 0.0005 or are you happier to see 0.5 or even 5? Smiley Humans like the bigger numbers.   

Paying using a quantitative metric and not qualitative metric will likely not give the results you are looking for.  Especially if a bot can profit from it.

Mod points are given for your comment quality not for quantity. If the comment sucks and is off-topic, you get no coin but negative karma and your comment falls quickly under the display threshold (like in Slashdot). Using a bot to scam the comments rating system is pointless because you can not transfer the coins out (at leas in the beginning) and if we discover some type of abuse, we will take all the scammers coins for good and also from all the accounts used by bots.
It is a non English site and this probably keeps the larger part of the world away.

While reading what I wrote, use the most friendliest and relaxing voice in your head.
BTW, Things in BTC bubble universes are getting ugly....
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
May 09, 2012, 01:04:06 AM

Do you like to receive a tip for 0.0005 or are you happier to see 0.5 or even 5? Smiley Humans like the bigger numbers.

.0005 BTC is 0.5 millibits (mBTCs).

That's the denomination Ogrr uses.

I started to think about using LTC (litecoin)

If you are doing an internal thing where withdrawal isn't allowed then why even mess with BTC.  Just call them credits, like what Quora does, for example.

And when you do eventually want to allow cash out, just peg X number of credits to 1 BTC. (e.g., 1000 site credits = 1 bitcoins).   That's what SealsWithClubs.org does, for example.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █