Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 02:31:33 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Consumer question  (Read 931 times)
Jamie_Boulder (OP)

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2014, 03:23:56 AM

Say you're paying for a 'service' or a 'host' - what you're paying for doesn't matter, apply that part to something that interests you.

Now my question:

Would you prefer to pay a larger 'fee' ONCE prior to usage and have unlimited access until you leave?

OR

Pay a much smaller fee but be charged for each time you use the service/host.

Keep in mind this is something that would have to interest you otherwise you wouldn't be there to begin with.

Thanks!

polynesia
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 27, 2014, 04:15:22 AM

I typically would like to pay a larger fee to cover all transactions.
Once this becomes a sunk cost, the transactions look free of charge to me.
Billbags

Activity: 280

Brainwashed this way

View Profile
September 27, 2014, 04:19:20 AM

That's a hard question. The old saying "There are two kinds of people in this world". Try to offer both but give a discount for the lump sum payment.

Listen: meat beat manifesto ~ Edge of no control (pt.1)
Read:"He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past." ~ George Orwell
Think: http://unenumerated.blogspot.com/2014/12/the-dawn-of-trustworthy-computing.html
btceuropen

Activity: 80
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 27, 2014, 04:24:50 AM

do you plan to supply for host service?
Jamie_Boulder (OP)

Activity: 378

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2014, 08:01:15 AM

do you plan to supply for host service?
Not at all, something completely different that I'll keep to myself for now.

Still interested in some response though! please put your thoughts below.

jdany

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

Inspired

View Profile
September 27, 2014, 09:31:16 AM

I hate when I go to a carnival and have to buy all of those overpriced tickets to ride the rides.
I hate when they include the rides into your admission and charge you for rides that you won't ride.

Aswan
Legendary

Activity: 1734
Merit: 1015

View Profile
September 27, 2014, 09:45:35 AM

Say you're paying for a 'service' or a 'host' - what you're paying for doesn't matter, apply that part to something that interests you.

Now my question:

Would you prefer to pay a larger 'fee' ONCE prior to usage and have unlimited access until you leave?

OR

Pay a much smaller fee but be charged for each time you use the service/host.

Keep in mind this is something that would have to interest you otherwise you wouldn't be there to begin with.

Thanks!

Depends on what it is.
If you rent a dedicated server, option 1 would be totally awesome but not maintainable for the service provider.
For MMOs I prefer the subscribtion model because it allows for the game developer/publisher to plan ahead and invest their monthly income into the game instead of squeezing as much as possible out of the game and then dropping it.
For an Internet connection I prefer a flat rate (for volume AND speed - in Germany some companies offer "flat rates" which technically offer an unlimited volume for you to download, but will slow down your connection to an unacceptable speed once you downloaded a certain amount of data [which is rly low, usually between 500mb and 5gb]).
For a phone line I prefer to get charged per use.
For hotels I prefer to only pay for breakfast if I actually take it. I really dislike breakfast being included in the hotel price.

For new services I am trying out I prefer to pay per use since I don't want to commit in case I don't like the service.
Skoupi

Activity: 252

Skoupi the Great

View Profile
September 27, 2014, 10:00:34 AM

I prefer a one time buy. If you want to charge extra later on you should do it for expansions of your service and let the user decide if they suit him...
Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1617
Merit: 1012

View Profile
September 27, 2014, 11:32:31 AM
Last edit: September 27, 2014, 11:43:38 AM by Soros Shorts

If the amount is trivial, I'd prefer to pay for everything upfront if it would end up costing less in the long run.

I am assuming that I know more or less what I am getting, i.e. the product or service is more or less homogeneous and that the calculated savings does not factor in crap that I will never use.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2014, 11:38:11 AM

I like having both options, but if I had to choose I prefer paying a big chunk of money and having access to the services forever, so paying a chunk of money for a lifetime subscription or very long term subscription is great for me because I don't have to worry about my income so much.
Velkro
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014

View Profile
September 27, 2014, 12:09:05 PM

Depend on use cases, you will not get much information
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4256
Merit: 4532

View Profile
September 27, 2014, 12:11:05 PM

I like having both options,

+1

credit cards charge upwards of 50c per transaction, bitcoin has alot less fee's, thus why limit yourself to one payment model when you can impliment them all.

EG
think about online gaming. people can pay a one time fee of $60 to get the full game with all available weaponry and difficulty options, customisable options. or they can have basic play where they have to buy the customizable options and weaponry.

same with many other things.. think sports events. one time season ticket. or pay for individual games at the gates.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: