Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 09:32:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ready to admit bitcoin is a failure?  (Read 14601 times)
25hashcoin

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 12:14:59 AM

Pure shill FUD by OP.

Bitcoin - Peer to Peer Electronic CASH
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
drawingthesun
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 01:55:14 AM

The question really is, if Bitcoin doesn't go mainstream then what is the problem?

Bitcoin has issues, the main one being that it can't handle 10,000 tx per second which is a base requirement for a worldwide network. However we are obviously not testing that limitation so then what else can be the problem?

The worst possible case is that the world at large does not have an interest in a worldwide decentralized currency/network, and that the Bitcoin experiment (and all other cryptocurrencies) will be always be reserved for the niche geek underground.

This is hard for me to understand, as I see Bitcoin bringing financial freedom to so many parts of the world, I just cannot see this not taking off, if not bitcoin but cryptocurrency in general.

I feel that many people on this forum share this same view, that Bitcoin is amazing and will keep rising in popularity. However we might all be blind to a simple sad truth, that the world doesn't want what Bitcoin has to offer.

Atheose0

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 02:02:42 AM

I am facing problem with BTC mining but on the trading section I am still lucky.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4473

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 02:04:36 AM

Bitcoin has issues, the main one being that it can't handle 10,000 tx per second which is a base requirement for a worldwide network. However we are obviously not testing that limitation so then what else can be the problem?

the solution to bitcoins transaction issue is the same as banks wire transfer issue.
in short, the solution for small scale consumer transactions is credit cards/offchain transactions. whilst leaving bitcoin-core nodes to be the equvelent to goldman sachs, HSBC big money movers in the background

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
kingscrown

Activity: 672

http://fuk.io - check it out!

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2014, 02:12:27 AM

we are getting PP now.. so id say mass adoption is coming

bitcoinanon

Activity: 71
Merit: 10

The way of the future...

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 02:25:30 AM

"If you build it, they will come" Do not wait for something to be developed for the community go out and fucking do it yourself you do not need permission.
knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 02:55:03 AM

It's impossible to say bitcoin is a failure when it has always been number 1 and no signs of stopping

is the total failure to rally and continual selling pressure not a sign? or the continual centralization of miner power? whether people like it or not, superior technology is going to supplant bitcoin at some stage. sooner is more likely than later.

YUP +1

Please describe how a currency might be such superior and how it will take off faster than bitcoin's network effect.

sublime5447 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 03:15:54 AM

It's impossible to say bitcoin is a failure when it has always been number 1 and no signs of stopping

is the total failure to rally and continual selling pressure not a sign? or the continual centralization of miner power? whether people like it or not, superior technology is going to supplant bitcoin at some stage. sooner is more likely than later.

YUP +1

Please describe how a currency might be such superior and how it will take off faster than bitcoin's network effect.

It looks like you might already know, seems that you are familiar with a lot of paul grignons works I am sure you have heard of his proposal for a digital currency right?

His proposal wont grow as quickly because there is no gain beyond using an honest form of currency.

http://www.moneyasdebt.net/
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 04:20:03 AM

YUP +1

It looks like you might already know, seems that you are familiar with a lot of paul grignons works I am sure you have heard of his proposal for a digital currency right?

His proposal wont grow as quickly because there is no gain beyond using an honest form of currency.

He wanted to do a film about Bitcoin. Whatever happened to that?

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
cinnamon_carter
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

It's about time -- All merrit accepted !!!

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2014, 04:29:08 AM

Well I judge a lot by the network difficulty.

I don't see that it dropped recently.

It would have to drop several times in a row weeks or months before I would say bitcoin is in trouble.

Over the long term (10 years or longer) certainly I think by the next time the reward halves to 12.5 btc a block I would expect a price boost.

More places and people are using bitcoin now than ever before.

That needs to continue to happen. 

Complaining because it is on sale makes no sense to me at all !!

(Unless you bought btc at $600 as an investment or something then like any investement take your lumps and go home)

For true believers in all the good things cryptocurrency can bring to the world I would say everything is doing just fine.

For people who bought in at whatever price hoping to retire this year you should have known that was not going to happen anyway.

Check out my coin Photon
Merge Mine 5 other Blake 256 coins - 6x your hash power  https://www.blakecoin.org/

The obvious choice is not always the best choice.

LOOK DEEPER - Look into the Blake 256 Family -- CC
devphp

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 04:54:58 AM

I can see mass bankruptsy of small miners in the chart below.
In the previous years the difficulty was clearly following the price of Bitcoin, now they have detached. The difficulty keeps growing as a result of massive investments by large mining farms, but the price keeps going down or sideways at best forcing small miners to switch off their equipment. You don't need to be a genius to understand what that implies. The pattern is not the same as in previous years, no matter what they tell you.

Vortex20000

Activity: 504

sucker got hacked and screwed --Toad

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2014, 04:56:39 AM

Uhm. Bitcoin was just integrated into PayPal's Merchants Hub. A failure you say? gtfo

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 05:03:25 AM

In the previous years the difficulty was clearly following the price of Bitcoin, now they have detached. The difficulty keeps growing as a result of massive investments by large mining farms, but the price keeps going down or sideways at best forcing small miners to switch off their equipment. You don't need to be a genius to understand what that implies. The pattern is not the same as in previous years, no matter what they tell you.
There is no causal relationship between hashing and price. Any correlational relationship is purely coincidental. The price people are trading on is based on risky exchanges that people don't trust anymore after Mt Gox. You can claim anything you want, but your dataset is too small. Using the term "bankruptcy" is purely inflammatory.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
devphp

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 05:06:18 AM

There is no causal relationship between hashing and price. Any correlational relationship is purely coincidental. The price people are trading on is based on risky exchanges that people don't trust anymore after Mt Gox. You can claim anything you want, but your dataset is too small. Using the term "bankruptcy" is purely inflammatory.

When you base your predictions for future price patterns ("Bitcoin went from $32 to $2 and then to $1000 so it will recover again and go to $5000"), somehow the dataset is not too small, but in this chart the dataset is not enough, although it covers all of Bitcoin's history. Makes perfect sense Smiley
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 05:09:25 AM

When you base your predictions for future price patterns ("Bitcoin went from $32 to $2 and then to $1000 so it will recover again and go to $5000"), somehow the dataset is not too small, but in this chart the dataset is not enough, although it covers all of Bitcoin's history. Makes perfect sense Smiley
I don't subscribe to TA. There are many other predictive vectors like VC investment, technology development, politics, etc.

sublime5447 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 05:12:34 AM

YUP +1

If he did want to do a video about bitcoin it wouldnt have anything favorable to say. This is from Paul.

"1.The Scarcity Model: A single uniform quantity in limited supply made valuable by its own scarcity.
In other words, the value of this type of money depends on the supply of, and demand for, the money commodity itself. Conventional definitions of money define money only in terms of this model, a "medium of exchange". Examples are: cowries, gold and silver, fiat cash and coins, bank credit, and now, in the model's purest and most spectacularly speculative form, Bitcoin.

2. The Abundance Model. A promise of something specific from someone specific made valuable by its redemption in real production. The value of this type of money is defined by the promised redemption in goods and/or services. As such, this type of money is promises of an indefinite number of non-uniform commodities in indefinite supply and, unlike the limited quantity "coin" concept of money, the total quantity of these credits in circulation does not affect their value, because the value of a credit is defined by what its issuer will redeem it for in real goods and/or services. Examples are: business-to-business barter credits, customer rewards, travel points, discount coupons, mutual credit systems."
sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 05:14:58 AM

It wont fail because its open source
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 05:17:55 AM

YUP +1

If he did want to do a video about bitcoin it wouldnt have anything favorable to say. This is from Paul.

"1.The Scarcity Model: A single uniform quantity in limited supply made valuable by its own scarcity.
In other words, the value of this type of money depends on the supply of, and demand for, the money commodity itself. Conventional definitions of money define money only in terms of this model, a "medium of exchange". Examples are: cowries, gold and silver, fiat cash and coins, bank credit, and now, in the model's purest and most spectacularly speculative form, Bitcoin.

2. The Abundance Model. A promise of something specific from someone specific made valuable by its redemption in real production. The value of this type of money is defined by the promised redemption in goods and/or services. As such, this type of money is promises of an indefinite number of non-uniform commodities in indefinite supply and, unlike the limited quantity "coin" concept of money, the total quantity of these credits in circulation does not affect their value, because the value of a credit is defined by what its issuer will redeem it for in real goods and/or services. Examples are: business-to-business barter credits, customer rewards, travel points, discount coupons, mutual credit systems."
Bitcoin fits both models. I hope he isn't implying that someone will dictate what is the best money for the whole world. That would simply be sophomoric.

sublime5447 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 05:47:00 AM

YUP +1

Bitcoin fits both models. I hope he isn't implying that someone will dictate what is the best money for the whole world. That would simply be sophomoric.

Bitcoin does not fit both models its value is a product of supply and demand, and no he isnt implying someone will dictate the best form of money, but what he does imply is the the scarcity model leads to control and manipulation.
ikydesu

Activity: 686

fb.com/Bitky.shop | Bitcoin Merch!Premium Quality!

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2014, 06:10:19 AM

It wont fail because its open source

lol, and everybody like open source Grin
and bitcoin become mainstream Grin
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: