I have a bunch of questions about general networking, if you guys could answer some it would be very much appreciated. Most of it is about decentralized networking.
1. How viable is a world wide wireless mesh network (obviously you still need a cable to go to and from other continents.)
how much throughput and what would the ping be like talking to nodes across countries like the US. How well does it scale, and overall how viable is it, and how much would it cost.. what are the disadvantages.
2. How expensive is this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free-space_optical_communication
. Would it be good for #1 and the wireless be a backup so to say when conditions are not good for FSO.
3. Would you rather pay anonymously for a mesh network like this or continue paying your current provider.
4. You and your neighbors have to chip in some money to buy good equipment for your street/block/complex/flats. How would setting up a cable across long expanses of land work?
5. How easy would it be to exploit these types of networks.
Thanks for any answers.