Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 02:57:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to convert root key into private key SOLVED  (Read 3125 times)
matt608 (OP)

Activity: 882
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 27, 2014, 09:05:11 AM
Last edit: September 27, 2014, 03:30:35 PM by matt608

Hi,
I have an armoury paper wallet with a root key and a secure print code.  I need to import it into multibit.  I managed to do it once before about a year ago so I know it is possible, I was using these instructions:
http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/5324/how-do-i-import-private-keys-from-bitcoin-qt-to-multibit-client

But I can't get it to work this time, there was something else I had to do last time that isn't in the instructions (because the instructions explain how to import a private key rather than a root key).  I did something to 'convert' the root key into the private key but I can't remember how I did it.

I've had others on the forum tell me to download offline armoury and do it there, but I am running Macos 10.6.8 and armoury only seems to be available for 10.7 or later.

Please can someone help? I don't have access to armoury where I originally made the backup.

Coiner.de

Activity: 773
Merit: 531

View Profile
September 27, 2014, 09:51:41 AM

I think you have to have an offline Armory installation at least.

Then restore wallet with Armory.

Open Wallet Properties for the wallet.

Click "Backup This Wallet"

Choose "Export Key Lists"

Click "Export Key Lists"

And you get your private keys in various formats.
matt608 (OP)

View Profile
September 27, 2014, 10:01:41 AM
Last edit: September 27, 2014, 12:15:44 PM by matt608

I think you have to have an offline Armory installation at least.

Then restore wallet with Armory.

Open Wallet Properties for the wallet.

Click "Backup This Wallet"

Choose "Export Key Lists"

Click "Export Key Lists"

And you get your private keys in various formats.

Thanks for the reply.  I given that a go but the problem is I am on mac 10.6.8 and armoury only works on 10.7 or later, it wont open.

matt608 (OP)

View Profile
September 27, 2014, 02:25:01 PM
Last edit: September 27, 2014, 03:30:54 PM by matt608

I managed to borrow a friends windows 8 machine and downloaded armoury.  I imported the root key I have on my paper wallet, but I noticed no addresses appeared.  I clicked to back up and export the key lists, but only another root key was given.  No private key.  I tried creating an address and then exporting the key lists and a private key turned up so I imported it into multibit and let it sync, but as I thought there were 0 bitcoins on that address (makes sense as I had just created it...).  

So I am confused.  

I have a watch only address on blockchain.info and I can see the coins, but why when I import the root key no address appears?  Do I have to download the entire blockchain?

Edit:  What's even more confusing is the watch only address I can see my BTC sitting on is the same as the address than the wallet generated, in which case, how can the private key of that address not contain my BTC?

Going to try resetting blockchain and transactions for a long sync...

SUCCESS

Thank you for those who helped.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: