Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 11:19:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bounty 20 BTC: Wi-Fi Hotspot, enabled by bitcoin  (Read 27459 times)
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 10:15:56 AM

Sounds very nice, but would require a special client used to meter the bandwidth and to sign/create these transactions, right?

Also, what happens if the Access Point thinks the user has used 100 MB of traffic, the user client thinks he has used only 99 MB of traffic though and refuses to "pay up"? Overprovision by some percentage? Choke (=rate-limit) the client till he pays up? This might lead to some bad user experience if consequences are harsh and immediate or in some not-paid traffic (or whatever) if there iss too much leeway.

It might work perfectly for per-minute flatrates though, maybe even for "per 10 seconds" types of contracts. Even per second maybe, though this might already start to have some timing issues (or packet loss issues!), especially with wireless connections.

Something where this might also work out, would be a bitcoin powered online hosting provider...

For APs the biggest problem might be to get bitcoins you own into that client - either it has to access your wallet file or it has it's own single private key(s) pre-charged with some amount. One could sell pre-charged private keys at the counter in a cafe for example and the added benefit for the customer would then be that they can use up as much as they like of that and transfer the rest to their wallet and use these as "normal" bitcoins after their session ends.

That way, even if you sell access "vouchers" to the local W-LAN for 30 USD or so while 1 hour only costs 2 USD, they still can afterwards keep and use the remaining balance.

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Mike Hearn
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1128

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 12:31:15 PM

Sounds very nice, but would require a special client used to meter the bandwidth and to sign/create these transactions, right?

It can just be built in to existing Android mobile clients. It's fair to ask that users have this, as that way it can be totally transparent ... users can end up on your wifi gateway without even realizing, if your fees are acceptable.

Also, what happens if the Access Point thinks the user has used 100 MB of traffic, the user client thinks he has used only 99 MB of traffic though and refuses to "pay up"?

You buy access ahead of time in small amounts. The user can never be in bandwidth debt. They can have bought small amounts of traffic they didn't use, though.

It might work perfectly for per-minute flatrates though, maybe even for "per 10 seconds" types of contracts. Even per second maybe, though this might already start to have some timing issues (or packet loss issues!), especially with wireless connections.

The proposal on the wiki is per kilobyte. The negotiation is cheap enough for that to be feasible, I think.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 02:08:21 PM

It can just be built in to existing Android mobile clients. It's fair to ask that users have this, as that way it can be totally transparent ... users can end up on your wifi gateway without even realizing, if your fees are acceptable.

Automated payments are not currently possible.  This would likely require a second, independent wallet app made for the purpose.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 03, 2012, 10:02:11 AM

Further information on this project is now occurring on the thread on Rugutu:

- http://www.rugatu.com/questions/739/wi-fi-hotspot-enabled-by-bitcoin

Sorry, haven't used rugatu before.  But sure, as long as the code is open source, works, and posted.

Bounty created  http://www.rugatu.com/questions/739/wi-fi-hotspot-enabled-by-bitcoin

Rugatu pledges 1 bitcoin.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 09:48:19 PM

Further information on this project is now occurring on the thread on Rugutu:

- http://www.rugatu.com/questions/739/wi-fi-hotspot-enabled-by-bitcoin

Just posting an update on this thread ... there appears to be a party interested in building this:

- http://www.rugatu.com/questions/739/wi-fi-hotspot-enabled-by-bitcoin/3384

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

CA Coins
Donator

Activity: 305
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 23, 2012, 03:56:39 AM

Good luck!
ptshamrock

Activity: 484
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 03:35:58 PM

NEat !

"Money needs to be depoliticized, and the time has come for the separation of money and state to be accomplished."
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 02:29:23 AM

The ability to share a router for use by the operator for internal use as well as offering access commercially.

Software License: [flexible, GPL or BSD]
Hardware supported: [incomplete]  (probably WRT54G, etc., also Ubiquity Nanostation2)
Payment methods: Both Bitcoin or Voucher Code (i.e., a code for a 2 hour pass, 1 day pass, etc.)
Private access: Second SSID for internal use, WPA2 protection
LAN /ethernet: Full access
WLAN DHCP: Supported (optional)
WLAN Static IP: Supported (optional)
Remote admin: Supported (optional)

Someone with expertise in this area might want to consider creating a business plan to provide this and pitch it to BitAngels:
 - http://www.bitangels.co

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

RAVENCROW

Activity: 169
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2013, 04:19:17 PM

can't wait to see someone pull this off sounds wicked awesome  Cheesy

฿Allaboutbit ฿฿Cludcoin ฿[/color]
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 06:46:17 PM

Keeping an eye on this:

Bitcoin Wifi Hotspot running on Raspberry Pi.
 - http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=277584.0
 - http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1ko3sz

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

fishy

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

What do you call a fish with no eyes? A Fsh!

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 04:53:53 PM

Watching! Smiley

\   \  \ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\◥◣◢◤//////////////// /  /   /
Win88.me ❖ Fair, Trusted Online BTC Gambling ❖
/   /  / ////////////////◢◤◥◣\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \  \   \
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 08:16:13 PM

Watching again.

I think this is a million dollar idea (or a BTC8771.929824561 idea).

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2013, 08:17:55 PM

Why not just gateway for boingo or ipass or BT Openzone?

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
RodeoX
Legendary

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 08:25:54 PM

I have heard of some of those, but do they take BTC? If so that's great. I just don't like giving my banking info so I can send an email from the airport.

NewLiberty
Legendary

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2013, 10:05:16 PM
Last edit: August 21, 2013, 10:52:06 PM by NewLiberty

I have heard of some of those, but do they take BTC? If so that's great. I just don't like giving my banking info so I can send an email from the airport.
They don't, point being I can set up as a reseller of these, accept your bitcoin purchases, and job is done.  Globally, all airport, hotels, and cities everywhere.
There is no technical problem whatsoever for setting up a global WiFi ISP.  It is a business problem only.

I know product managers at these companies.  It can be done.  It isn't even hard, the question that will make it happen is whether there is a market.  If there are close to 100 subscribers globally, its going to be worth doing.

If we want additional privacy features, all that takes is setting up a RADIUS server and running RADIUS proxy through it for authentication, accounting and billing.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
NewLiberty
Legendary

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2013, 10:54:43 PM

No technical development is needed.  Just business development, a little marketing, a website, a payment gateway.  The technology for this is old and already deployed.

RodeoX
Legendary

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 01:50:07 PM

@NewLiberty   Ahh, a reseller system, of course.

I was thinking of some kind of automated wallet running on a hacked-up router. But whatever. I would use this service whenever I travel.

Newar
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

https://gliph.me/hUF

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 02:09:24 PM

If I can get on boingo with BTC, that'd be great! They are everywhere, it seems.

OTC rating | GPG keyid 1DC91318EE785FDE | Gliph: lightning bicycle tree music | Mycelium, a swift & secure Bitcoin client for Android | LocalBitcoins
NewLiberty
Legendary

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2013, 07:10:56 PM

If I can get on boingo with BTC, that'd be great! They are everywhere, it seems.

Yes, I could set this up without much difficulty. 
Have existing high level partnership relationships with these global wifi providers, and the authentication management elements.
The only concern is whether there is sufficient demand and how much I am willing to lose to find out. Smiley

Snail2
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 07:34:43 PM

After a quick look at the available solutions Aruba with Amigopod can do this. If we are thinking in freeware solutions then Packetfence is a good solution. It has built-in billing support, so you just need an external payment processor, what gives the green light for the auth process. I'm going to playing a bit with this Smiley.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: