Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 08:01:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Core 0.9.3 has been released  (Read 109136 times)
ABISprotocol

Activity: 278
Merit: 251

ABISprotocol on Gist

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2014, 01:26:38 AM

OK, after a complet download from the official torrent ... no crash of this version 0.9.3 on my WinXP SP3 + all KBs updates.
Strange that it have been located on the blockchain files  Tongue

So, the answer is : when bitcoin core crash without warning ... re-download the whole blockchain folder.  Cheesy

ps : i don't  have changed anything in this computer ... and it's run only for network stuff (no private use).
That's strange indeed. Probably a database (either the UTXO database or the block index) was corrupted in a sneaky way. You had tried a reindex before?

Anyhow, great to hear that your problem is solved.

I am very curious to know when CoinJoin might be incorporated as something fully supported and available from Core, and given recent concerns regarding state actors such as the Russian Federation or some proposals which have recently come out of the UNSC, I believe that it would be timely to clarify this issue and raise its priority.
It will be incorporated when someone implements it. It's an open source project, so there is no saying who will pick this up. AFAIK no one is working on wallet features in Bitcoin Core at the moment. The core developers are focused on improving the node infrastructure. Maybe Cozz (who got Coin Control to a state where it could be merged) would be interested, given incentive.

Hello wumpus,

Thanks for your reply.  I am not sure what would be the best way to communicate with Cozz to relay my thoughts or request.  Please advise by private message in this forum if possible.

I've posted a reply here https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/3226#issuecomment-58226430
to an earlier comment from laanwj (git) which appears here: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/3226#issuecomment-58159250

Again, thanks.

ABISprotocol (Github/Gist)
http://abis.io
wumpus (OP)

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 08:08:27 AM

Thanks for your reply.  I am not sure what would be the best way to communicate with Cozz to relay my thoughts or request.  Please advise by private message in this forum if possible.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=72619
https://github.com/cozz?tab=activity

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
ABISprotocol

Activity: 278
Merit: 251

ABISprotocol on Gist

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2014, 01:38:38 AM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=72619
https://github.com/cozz?tab=activity

Thank you, e-mail was sent earlier today which cc'd various including Cozz.  I appreciate the help!

ABISprotocol (Github/Gist)
http://abis.io
TheFootMan

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 09, 2014, 03:24:14 AM

The SHASUMS is not signed by Gavin's Code Signing key.

It is signed by Wladimir's key, which is itself signed by Gavin's key, but still, this freaked me out momentarily when I went to verify it.

For those needing to verify the downloaded files, it would be done like this:

Code:
gpg --recv-keys 2346C9A6
gpg --list-sigs 2346C9A6

If you already have Gavin's CODE SIGNING KEY on your key, the output for the second command above should include something like:
Code:
sig          1FC730C1 2011-12-15  Gavin Andresen (CODE SIGNING KEY) <gavinandresen at (nospam...) gmail.com>

Which means Wladimir's key should be trusted.

Another question however is did anyone ever in person verify pgp  fingerprints from Gavin, Wladimir or other devs? When doing some reading on GPG, I see this is something that's recommended to do to establish trust, also calling someone and having them read their fingerprint out loud, if you already know them by person could be an option.

As Bitcoin is some very serious stuff, I can at least see persons responsible for larger amounts of funds in bitcoins, having the need to do fingerprint comparision to ensure keys are correct. Or do people in general just accept that downloaded keys should automatically be trusted?

The way to get Bitcoin Core, is to download it from https://bitcoin.org/bin/0.9.3/, then run sha256sum on the binary you downloaded, and verify output against the corresponding SHA256 Hash in the SHA256SUMS.asc file. And then this file itself has to be verified to see if it turns up valid. And if you do not have Wladimir's key, it needs to be retrieved as I described earlier in this post (you could always look it up on a gpg key server).

To verify the file:  
Code:
gpg --verify SHA256SUMS.asc
, and get something like this:

Code:
$ gpg --verify sig.asc 
gpg: Signature made Mon 29 Sep 2014 04:44:14 PM CEST using RSA key ID 2346C9A6
gpg: Good signature from "Wladimir J. van der Laan <laanwj at (nospam...) gmail.com>"
gpg: WARNING: This key is not certified with a trusted signature!
gpg:          There is no indication that the signature belongs to the owner.
Primary key fingerprint: 71A3 B167 3540 5025 D447  E8F2 7481 0B01 2346 C9A6

Now if you already trust Gavin's key, then all should be swell. However, what if you just got hired to be the financial manager of finances at say Overstock.com, and you need to ensure that there's no friggin way that your 10 million dollars worth of BTC will be compromised in anyway, be it a malicious binary or otherwise.

Would it not be in the power of, let's say the NSA, or any other intel agencies to conduct a MITM? I don't know all the details, but there's been incidents of SSL certificates being stolen, so that an entity can claim to be somebody they're not, and serve malicious data to the user? And as such certificates can be stolen, I would think they could've been obtained through other methods as well..

Bitcoin.org's security certificate says: "You are connected to bitcoin.org which is run by (Unknown), Verified by GeoTrust, Inc., which is a US company.

So let's say that your download from bitcoin.org is compromized by an intel org which manages to make the site seem like everything's fine by connecting you over https but conducting a MITM. So you receive a malicious binary. Most users will not verify their download, and happily run Bitcoin Core. There's no instructions for verifying the downloads at the download page at bitcoin.org afaik.

So the amount of users who downloaded without verifying the downloads are now all compromised, the malicious software could do anything now really, like stealing all the bitcoins - installing a keylogger on the users machine, transferring private files, without the user knowing etc. Most likely, bitcoins would not be stolen, as this would alert the user base about the issue quite quickly, good thing is we have diversification in the bitcoin ecosystem, so not everyone is running the same software, or downloading from the same place all the time.

But let's say the download was MITM attacked, and the user wants to verify the download. He could just get Wladimir's key off a pgp-key-server and be done with it, but how can he be sure that the key  actually belongs to Wladimir? Could not also this download of the public key be compromized by a MITM attack? But, wait, Gavin has signed that key. Let's get Gavin's key? So we download it, from the web somewhere or from a public key server, we could still be mitm attacked.

So let's say you now have the binaries, the signature file, and you verify it against Wladimir's pubkey, which is signed by Gavins pubkey, and you think everything's good. The fact is that you could be fooled at this point. Does anyone remember the BGP Hijacking, where some clever hacker stole all the traffic for numerous miners, such that all the mined bitcoins would end up in his hands? He went off with 83K USD worth of bitcoins.

What if you're up against a more powerful entity, that really knows how to do MITM attacks? How could you secure yourself? What if your friend went to a bitcoin conference, then saw Gavin in person, and then he checked the fingerprint of Gavins CODE SIGNING KEY on his laptop and compared it to the actual fingerprint which Gavin could provide in person?

Then you would know that Gavin's CODE SIGNING KEY is legit, and by extension, if Gavin trusts Wladimir, then you should also trust Wladimir. However, Wladimir (no offence meant at all) could be associated with some intel org and he could inject malicious code into the binary, which any dev which had the right permissions could do, be it Gavin, Wladimir or anyone else that has the power to make a release of the Bitcoin Core software. So even, if we have established that fingerprints were correct, we would still need to trust the devs not to do anything nefarious.

The only other way to ensure we're 100% safe, is to study the source code, and then for every sucessive release, do a diff and check that nothing nefarious has snuck in. And then compile it ourselves, but then again, what guarantee is there that none of the libraries that the code depends on, or the compiler itself has been compromised?

The subject of Bitcoin security is quite complicated, but just imagine how much damage could be done for the right group of malicious hackers, if they manage to MITM attack quite a few users, they could monitor the users balances, and then at a given time, they could issue commands, if not preprogrammed in the binary, to empty the wallets completely, or upon next successful entering of the passphrase by the user, emptying the wallet completely.

Who knows if NSA or any other intel org not at this very moment has dedicated teams working on these scenarios.

Provided we do trust the developers, which I believe most do, we should also trust the software that they release, but how can we do that if we do not know with 100% accuracy that the pgp keys are actually belonging to who they're claimed to belong to?

Perhaps even more likely than the NSA scenario is one or a group of hackers working in concert. For instance, if such a group has access to all the traffic that goes through an ISP, they could manipulate the traffic anyway they'd like and with a stolen SSL certificate for bitcoin.org, they could redirect traffic and post malicious binaries for users to download, no? Of course, there's many hurdles to overcome, but there's some pretty advanced hackers out there that could pull of some serious tricks.

A market currently valuated at approx  5,000,000,000 USD is bound to atract some interest. I know the cap's just an imaginary number based on number of bitcoins multiplied with the current price, I digress..

But the final question would then be: How do a normal user ensure he's running Bitcoin Core safely, and how do a small business ensure they do not get wiped our completely, and how will major companies deal with the risk when they go heavily into the Bitcoin market? I would think such companies would have dedicated security engineers for such purposes.

So, I'm just thinking ahead, and wondering when we will see the most sophisticated attacks against the bitcoin infrastructure. Another problem would be the bad publicity, newspapers and TV-stations reporting about small businesses totally wiped out by the 'bitcoin hack', and then followed by very serious government types proclaiming that Bitcoins are inherently unsafe, and it's best to deal with regulated currencies that is issued and controlled by the state.

I'm not going into conspiracy territory with this, but knowing how relaxed many people are in regards to security, I would think there will be at least a few disasters ahead of us. Could that be prevented, and what measures are in place to prevent this from happening?

An answer could be, anybody could read the code, the code for all included libraries, and then compile it themselves. But who could do that? Could even a group of 5 experts do this and really understand everything in a short period of time? Sure, the source code is available, but for the majority of people, this is not something they'll ever concern themselves with.

If those running bitcoin.org reads this, it would be very interesting to know the stats, how many people download the binaries, as opposed to those downloading binaries and the checksum file? I would think many don't care about the verification.

Perhaps this was the wrong thread to ask these questions, but then the discussion could be branched out in a separate thread by a mod.

Also, I'm eternally thankful to everyone that works hard to make bitcoin exist, so this is by no way an attack on anyone, it's just an attempt at thinking about the different scenarios where users could be hurt, and wanting to learn others opinions about this, as I know there are very many smart people in this community.

philiveyjr
Legendary

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 09, 2014, 09:14:33 AM

I installed it.!! it would take around a day or two to get in sync.!! uninstalled it.!! :/

TheFootMan

View Profile
October 09, 2014, 09:19:45 AM

I installed it.!! it would take around a day or two to get in sync.!! uninstalled it.!! :/

If you use the method where you download the torrent, you should be good to go in a rather short amount of time if you have a good network connection.

Check here: https://bitcoin.org/bin/blockchain/

On the other hand, if you plan on using this program, then you will most likely have it running, so the initial download will only be an annoyance at the very start.
yapusi

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 10:34:46 PM

Great version!
iwillwin

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 06:59:13 AM

What are the upgrades that have been added in the latest version ? Also why there hasn't been a major release yet, only minor upgrades ?
Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 07:10:24 AM

because it works.

stop think like corporate and marketing branch ...
Newar
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1001

https://gliph.me/hUF

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 08:14:36 AM

What are the upgrades that have been added in the latest version ? Also why there hasn't been a major release yet, only minor upgrades ?

https://bitcoin.org/en/version-history

If you think progress is too slow, feel free to contribute: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin

OTC rating | GPG keyid 1DC91318EE785FDE | Gliph: lightning bicycle tree music | Mycelium, a swift & secure Bitcoin client for Android | LocalBitcoins
GrapeApe

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 11:39:46 PM
Last edit: October 14, 2014, 01:05:45 AM by GrapeApe

I have a question about creating raw transactions.

If you are not spending the entire amount and don't want all of the change to go to the miners how do you tell QT how much change you want back and where to send it?

Here is an example from the testnet:

createrawtransaction '[{"txid":"483d3ddb086a5be6bdcccb4712bf7d84451af6a2a980c918e1d68eb0eec22725","vout":0,"scriptPubKey":"a914cf0d767ae8d9125b7d843112f8b8c07b333d4ac887","redeemScript":"5321034bdd619568d26a20d00a50e7c351f596c42e148cfdb099e317b2e2c553e1345d210230fd7 1e63947197589e706c2e0fb6aa05eae20fee2f92c2ffdacef252ea6afb52103ef21373b0a9e89bc f2a4e8481516c4849080a4d1f62b1b532445e5def3a4755d53ae"}]' '{"mxiuyocweZ6rPsLrGaR8wgsafHXnTcRBhU":0.05}'

EDIT: After doing some more homework I realize I have a lot more homework....
asscoindigger

Activity: 7

View Profile
October 14, 2014, 09:00:20 AM

Thanks for update! Didn't really notice there was an update till this I saw this post
geraFoerra

Activity: 116
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 14, 2014, 12:56:42 PM

I like the CoinControl feature. BTW I synced from start and during the process bitcoin-qt crashed about 5 times (about once per 8 hours). Only two times out of five at the end of log was error (10091): closesocket(hListenSocket) failed with error WSAStartup

The other cases no error at the end of log...
AdrianChilders

Activity: 2

View Profile
October 14, 2014, 07:10:33 PM

I'm finally going to get my node running this week to support the network!
BitcoinzB

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

💰💰💰💰

View Profile
October 15, 2014, 10:43:54 AM

Using this, took me few days for my slow connection to download the first 4 years of blocks. Then used the torrent shortcut eheh.
Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
October 16, 2014, 03:14:01 PM

I like the CoinControl feature. BTW I synced from start and during the process bitcoin-qt crashed about 5 times (about once per 8 hours). Only two times out of five at the end of log was error (10091): closesocket(hListenSocket) failed with error WSAStartup

yes ... after the block 0184 ... the v9.3 crash like the 0.9.2.1 (no debuglog entries to indicate the problem) on my WInXP SP3 with all KBs.  Sad
rollback to 0.9.1 (with reindex command line to check the block folder and rev files). Undecided
TheFootMan

View Profile
October 16, 2014, 11:54:20 PM

yes ... after the block 0184 ... the v9.3 crash like the 0.9.2.1 (no debuglog entries to indicate the problem) on my WInXP SP3 with all KBs.  Sad
rollback to 0.9.1 (with reindex command line to check the block folder and rev files). Undecided

Excuse me my ignorance, but is there any reason at all to run WinXP these days? Have you looked into running a linux distro? No offence meant.
Madness

Activity: 644

My goal is becaming a billionaire.

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2014, 02:39:54 AM

I really don't have experience with those offline wallets but if somehow my PC get burned or something & I can't fix .. does it mean I will lose all my bitcoins unless I took a backup ? if yes how to take a backup

TheFootMan

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 04:31:15 AM

I really don't have experience with those offline wallets but if somehow my PC get burned or something & I can't fix .. does it mean I will lose all my bitcoins unless I took a backup ? if yes how to take a backup

Shutdown bitcoin core. Then find wallet.dat, and copy it to a usb drive or two, store those at the office or another location you see fit. Make sure you've sett a passphrase on the wallet. Also realize that once you do transactions, change might be sent to new addresses in the wallet, requiring you to do a new backup.

Madness

Activity: 644

My goal is becaming a billionaire.

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2014, 05:57:16 AM

Shutdown bitcoin core. Then find wallet.dat, and copy it to a usb drive or two, store those at the office or another location you see fit. Make sure you've sett a passphrase on the wallet. Also realize that once you do transactions, change might be sent to new addresses in the wallet, requiring you to do a new backup.

So each time I use my bitcoins (Send/receive) I have to take new backup of wallet.dat ? should I use Export & Import options or just find the file manually on directory ?

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: