Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 08:44:27 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Funny pic on cryptocurrencies  (Read 1658 times)
gonnafly (OP)

Activity: 53
Merit: 12

View Profile
September 28, 2014, 01:54:48 PM

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2014, 02:10:23 PM

Dont be such a meanie to BTC  Angry

It is funny though.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
ticoti

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 28, 2014, 02:15:54 PM

It is funny and real
bitcoin needs a solution to make its transactions faster
inBitweTrust

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 28, 2014, 02:17:08 PM

funny , but misleading as Bitcoin has the same transaction times of the rest. It would be more accurate if it referenced "confirmation times" but that still ignores confirmations happening offchain as well.

RustyNomad

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2014, 02:18:11 PM

Good one, and sadly, true.

Had a payment from Moon Bitcoin today, been over an hour and only one confirmation thus far.
Balls

Activity: 338

View Profile
September 28, 2014, 02:28:46 PM

funny , but misleading as Bitcoin has the same transaction times of the rest. It would be more accurate if it referenced "confirmation times" but that still ignores confirmations happening offchain as well.

That's what I was thinking. Haters moan at this, but you send bitcoin and the person receives them almost instantly, so this isn't an issue.
inBitweTrust

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 28, 2014, 03:06:13 PM

That's what I was thinking. Haters moan at this, but you send bitcoin and the person receives them almost instantly, so this isn't an issue.

Additionally, there re many other ways to confirm without having to wait 7-10 minutes with BTC. A coinbase to coinbase transaction or a circle to circle transaction is instantly confirmed as fraud is prevented through KYC.

Sure, it would be nice if a future bitcoin sidechain or treechain had faster confirmations for everyday purchases but this image develops its humor by misleading the audience.

GTA

Activity: 90
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 28, 2014, 03:08:52 PM

Took me an average of 10 minutes to get the joke. Although it did instantly propagate through my neural network.
bambino

Activity: 111

View Profile
September 28, 2014, 04:09:14 PM

Paypal also turned out to show it's support in 3-5 business days.
Robin_Good

Activity: 140

View Profile
September 28, 2014, 04:42:20 PM

I don't understand why people think shorter block times are better. It only means you need more blocks for the same security, thus meaning the block chain just gets needlessly bigger. Many Bitcoiners understand that, but many Altcoiners don't want to understand that, because that would mean their Altcoin has no advantage at all.

logger

Activity: 138

View Profile
September 28, 2014, 05:43:03 PM

I don't understand why people think shorter block times are better. It only means you need more blocks for the same security, thus meaning the block chain just gets needlessly bigger. Many Bitcoiners understand that, but many Altcoiners don't want to understand that, because that would mean their Altcoin has no advantage at all.

The real problem with short block target times is network propagation. Once a block is found, it's not relayed to the whole network instantly. If you see a cryptocurrency with short block target times, but still not a considerable amount of orphaned blocks, you know that the network of that coin is not properly decentralized, but rather centralized.
EndlessWin

Activity: 139
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 28, 2014, 06:13:09 PM

It reminds me the pic about internet browers  Grin
So, BTC is like Internet Explorer, lol
Note: even if BTC is slow it's more popular than other crypto currencies

tired of identical bitcoin forks? try out BCN - no ASICs, no transaction tracking https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=512747.0
MisO69
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1005

My mule don't like people laughing

View Profile
September 28, 2014, 06:24:45 PM

Pathetic marketing attempt at promoting digibyte as one of the top 4. That coin has no place with the other three. I just took a look at coin market cap. Digibyte is #93. shit coin barely in the top 100.  Cheesy
Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
September 28, 2014, 06:30:01 PM

Pathetic marketing attempt at promoting digibyte as one of the top 4. That coin has no place with the other three. I just took a look at coin market cap. Digibyte is #93. shit coin barely in the top 100.  Cheesy

So that it is, a Digibyte. Advertisement work, there are at least 2 people more that know of it now.
NotAtOld

Activity: 200

View Profile
September 28, 2014, 06:36:25 PM

It only means you need more blocks for the same security

Completely false. The probability that a fork will succeed against an attacker with X percent hashpower after k confirmations is (X / (1 - X)) ^ k. There is no term for block time in there. You could argue that with a shorter blocktime an attack is cheaper so an attacker has more chances, eg. with 6s block times an attacker has 100x more chances, but that effect is linear, whereas the effect of adding more confirmations is exponential - assuming 30% hashpower, waiting for 12 confirmations instead of 6 reduces the probability of a fork succeeding by a factor of 161, so you get the same security in 72 seconds that Bitcoin gives you in 3600.

cccarnation

Activity: 146

One Token to Move Anything Anywhere

View Profile
September 28, 2014, 07:14:33 PM

Completely false. The probability that a fork will succeed against an attacker with X percent hashpower after k confirmations is (X / (1 - X)) ^ k. There is no term for block time in there. You could argue that with a shorter blocktime an attack is cheaper so an attacker has more chances, eg. with 6s block times an attacker has 100x more chances, but that effect is linear, whereas the effect of adding more confirmations is exponential - assuming 30% hashpower, waiting for 12 confirmations instead of 6 reduces the probability of a fork succeeding by a factor of 161, so you get the same security in 72 seconds that Bitcoin gives you in 3600.

Agreed. If one reads the original bitcoin paper, they'll see that block time is not a factor in the main calculations about the security of confirmations.

Shorter block times do have some negatives (higher chance of blockchain forks which means that miners waste more time not helping secure the network, and miners with faster connections get more of an advantage over miners with slower connections because they waste less time on outdated blocks), but the security of confirmations certainly does not scale linearly with the block target time.

Anyway, it's overkill to wait for even a single confirmation for most small transactions. You can wait a few seconds to see if a double-spend starts trying to spread across the network. And in many situations where people pay with BTC, like subscribing to a service, or ordering something to be shipped to them, there's no need to make the customer wait around staring at a screen telling them to wait for confirmation. If a double-spend happens and the transaction fails, then the seller can cut off the user's subscription or stop preparing to ship the item, and then contact the customer.

evergrow

Activity: 426
Merit: 256

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2014, 07:15:05 PM

Dogecoin rules over the outdated and boring Litecoin Cool
littlebeetle

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 28, 2014, 08:30:21 PM

The smaller the confirmation time, the more likely that 2 competing blocks will be found at the same time.
Willisius

Activity: 364

I'm really quite sane!

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 09:55:06 AM

Took me an average of 10 minutes to get the joke. Although it did instantly propagate through my neural network.

This is the best post in the thread so far.  Cheesy
noviapriani

Activity: 350

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 11:31:22 AM

This is the best post in the thread so far.  Cheesy

yeah I just seen this thread today and Im laughing my ass off, you op draw this or someone else did?

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: