Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 10:15:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bad wallet PC, what are my choices?  (Read 1825 times)
silverthornne (OP)

Activity: 148
Merit: 100

SelfPay - ICO PRE SALE - huge Profit !

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 01:45:56 PM

So I'm having problems with the PC that has my Bitcoin wallet. It's basically a motherboard issue; I have to RMA the damn thing about once a year (thankfully ASUS has a 5-year warranty on it) however I need to operate my wallet elsewhere because having the wallet on an unreliable PC was fine when I was just mucking around with BTC. I currently have about a TH/s of local mining power, several cloud contracts, BTC Jam investments... anyway, I'm taking BTC more seriously now and I need my wallet somewhere more reliable an on a dead-once-a-year PC.

I have a one-month old wallet.dat backup and a Microsoft Surface Pro. The reason I haven't installed the wallet there is because I only have 128GB of space in there and the blockchain is too damn big. Is there another client that doesn't store the whole blockchain that I can use to load that wallet.dat into my Surface Pro? Or maybe some online service where I could import it and have a cloud wallet? The file is encrypted and I have access to the pass phrase.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
hardshot

Activity: 457
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 02:05:35 PM

You could use multibit (doesn't store the whole blockchain)

www.multibit.org
silverthornne (OP)

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 02:18:05 PM

And Multibit allows a wallet.dat import? I'm checking the site right now and can't find any info about importing an existing wallet.dat.

hardshot

Activity: 457

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 02:20:32 PM

Not really THAT easy, but no problem:

You need to extract the private keys of all your addresses from the wallet.dat file and then import them into multibit. To extract the private keys use pywallet: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=34028.0

silverthornne (OP)

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 02:23:18 PM

Ok; I've never done that but I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

BiTJack

Activity: 806
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 04:21:36 PM

You can use offline wallet like multibit or you can also import your private keys to an online wallet like blockchain.
TookDk
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1062

One coin to rule them all

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2014, 04:26:33 PM

And Multibit allows a wallet.dat import? I'm checking the site right now and can't find any info about importing an existing wallet.dat.

You can just load the wallet.dat with bitcoin core, and export all the private keys to a textfile, you don't need to be synced to do that.
Actually, its recommend that you do such an operation while the computer is offline.
The command is called:  dumpprivkey

Cryptography is one of the few things you can truly trust.
silverthornne (OP)

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 07:38:01 PM

Now that I'm going to be doing that, can I load those private keys into multiple PC's so I can access the same wallet from both of them?

Borisz

Activity: 476

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 07:55:24 PM

Now that I'm going to be doing that, can I load those private keys into multiple PC's so I can access the same wallet from both of them?

As far as I know it's not good to access the same wallet on multiple devices at the same time.

I am not sure how this works with offline wallets, but if you send coins from computer A then open the wallet on computer B and do some transactions there, I'm not sure how the payment addresses would line up and if the wallet.dat-s would be consistent.

Maybe use an online wallet on one of the computers to store some coins?
silverthornne (OP)

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 08:07:38 PM

That's interesting. I thought that after the blockchain synchronized on both PC's the wallets would mirror each other. I may just export the keys to a blockchain wallet or something. It's just that this is the third time I have issues with my wallet PC and my other option would be storing it in my Surface but I do carry my Surface with me so that's more prone to being lost which is why I wanted redundancy there. Either store the wallet on the PC that turns on if I'm lucky or on the PC that can be easily lost... or go for a cloud wallet and don't even have to worry about the blockchain. Decisions, decisions...

Borisz

Activity: 476

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 08:20:45 PM

That's interesting. I thought that after the blockchain synchronized on both PC's the wallets would mirror each other. I may just export the keys to a blockchain wallet or something. It's just that this is the third time I have issues with my wallet PC and my other option would be storing it in my Surface but I do carry my Surface with me so that's more prone to being lost which is why I wanted redundancy there. Either store the wallet on the PC that turns on if I'm lucky or on the PC that can be easily lost... or go for a cloud wallet and don't even have to worry about the blockchain. Decisions, decisions...

I also wanted to have my wallet on 2 different computers, I searched around the forums back in the day and the official point of view was that its not good and I shouldn't do it. This might have changed however, with the new client releases. I'm not entirely sure about it.

I don't think the wallets would get synchronized across PCs...Please wait for someone to confirm this whole thing, I'm also interested in this!
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2014, 08:40:12 PM

Depends what you understand as wallet. The wallet.dat holds private keys and some meta data like labels for addresses, etc.
It comes with 100 pregenerated addresses and as long as you only use those you will not run into desasters. Worst that can happen is that you have not yet revealed the 37th address on PC B so your balance might be off. This could easily fixed with a rescan. Its a pain but not kind of pain that loses you coins.
Another thing are the labels and notes, youd have to make them the same by hand or sync the files via 3rd party tools or by hand in order to keep those identical.
Things will get ugly once you need address 101 on either of the machines, because now core needs to generate new priv. keys. There is no way to avoid drama without syncing the files (via tool or hand) here. Every new TX can make the files get out of sync because of change. A change address is usually a fresh one with core, but if there are no fresh ones left it has to randomly generate a new one. One wrong sync now and the priv. key that controlls the change is gone and so are the BTC.

If you want something like that use a deterministic wallet like Electrum or Multibit HD (not finished AFAIK). That way private key number n will allways be the same no matter where you use the seed.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
silverthornne (OP)

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 08:56:27 PM

Does Electrum need to download the entire blockchain as well? If not I guess I'll have to wait for Multibit HD development to finish...

Anyway, this is an interesting and useful discussion (for me anyway) so thanks for the replies!

Newar
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1001

https://gliph.me/hUF

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 01:27:18 AM

If you have no more use for those addresses it's probably easiest to import wallet.dat at blockchain.info and then make a new transaction to your new wallet. There are other lightweight ones https://bitcoin.org/en/choose-your-wallet . Using a wallet where you 100% control the keys is the preferred way.

OTC rating | GPG keyid 1DC91318EE785FDE | Gliph: lightning bicycle tree music | Mycelium, a swift & secure Bitcoin client for Android | LocalBitcoins
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 02:29:58 AM

Send ALL your coins to a new wallet.

If you don't trust yourself, you can hire an escrow to hold your coins for you, then send it all back when you have your new wallet or PC working. (I'm joking ... but just in case... hehe.)

The assumption so far is that you are using Bitcoin Core. You can get the hard drive from your PC and install it in a new computer, then you can grab all your data and the blockchain as well.

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2014, 10:50:44 AM

Does Electrum need to download the entire blockchain as well? If not I guess I'll have to wait for Multibit HD development to finish...

Anyway, this is an interesting and useful discussion (for me anyway) so thanks for the replies!

Nope, no need to download the entire blockchain. There are probably other hierarchically deterministic ("HD") wallets, which is the behaviour you want from wallets that run on multiple machines. See the link Newar posted for more info on wallets.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Lady_Cake

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 06:05:13 PM

mmm for a wallet PC i suggest you multibit. I think it is the best.  Cool
jimmy01

Activity: 106
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 05:53:08 AM

So I'm having problems with the PC that has my Bitcoin wallet. It's basically a motherboard issue; I have to RMA the damn thing about once a year (thankfully ASUS has a 5-year warranty on it) however I need to operate my wallet elsewhere because having the wallet on an unreliable PC was fine when I was just mucking around with BTC. I currently have about a TH/s of local mining power, several cloud contracts, BTC Jam investments... anyway, I'm taking BTC more seriously now and I need my wallet somewhere more reliable an on a dead-once-a-year PC.

I have a one-month old wallet.dat backup and a Microsoft Surface Pro. The reason I haven't installed the wallet there is because I only have 128GB of space in there and the blockchain is too damn big. Is there another client that doesn't store the whole blockchain that I can use to load that wallet.dat into my Surface Pro? Or maybe some online service where I could import it and have a cloud wallet? The file is encrypted and I have access to the pass phrase.

Right, use multibit, www.multibit.org
noobtrader
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 07:35:27 AM

1. make paper wallet
2. send bitcoin to paper wallet
3. import private key of paper wallet to mycelium android wallet (setting-expert mode  ---->  key, add key(top right key-picture), scan paper wallet private key)
4. import private key of paper wallet to multibit (http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/14154/how-do-import-a-paper-private-key-into-multibit)

"...I suspect we need a better incentive for users to run nodes instead of relying solely on altruism...",  satoshi@vistomail.com
TookDk
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1062

One coin to rule them all

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2014, 11:50:47 AM

1. make paper wallet
2. send bitcoin to paper wallet
3. import private key of paper wallet to mycelium android wallet (setting-expert mode  ---->  key, add key(top right key-picture), scan paper wallet private key)
4. import private key of paper wallet to multibit (http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/14154/how-do-import-a-paper-private-key-into-multibit)

You can skip step 1-2 and sweep the private key directly with mycelium.

Cryptography is one of the few things you can truly trust.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: