Bitcoin Forum
June 09, 2024, 12:05:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: New logo and visual identity for Bitcoin  (Read 5070 times)
Goldmundo (OP)

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2014, 06:37:15 PM
Last edit: September 30, 2014, 09:05:45 AM by Goldmundo

Hi everyone,

Although this is my first post, I'm not a complete noob here. I have been following the bitcoin news for quite some time and, although initially I was sceptical, I am now fully confident Bitcoin is going to make it.

Having a visual arts background, I can't help noticing how Bitcoin's graphical support is lacking the modern edge it deserves. I mean no disrespect to any of the fine people who devoted their time and good will to design the existing and past promo materials. But I do believe there is room for improvement.

Since I am excited to support Bitcoin's evolution and expansion in the best way I possibly can, I have come up with a new visual ID for BTC which includes a new logo and a set of buttons.

I am aware that currently used graphical support has its value not just in its appearance but also in its wide ranging prominence. However, modernising the brand now is still better than doing it several years down the road when half the world would have to support the switch. Besides, from everything I've seen so far, this is a community of devoted Bitcoin supporters who will be eager and agile in supporting the transition, provided that we reach consensus on this.

So, without further ado, here are the graphical elements I am suggesting to be used to represent Bitcoin:

https://medium.com/btc-magazine/new-visual-identity-for-bitcoin-85fcdca7ac41

Thank you for your attention. I hope for good feedback.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/54619107/Goldmund/bitcoin/btc-badge-accepted.png
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4242
Merit: 4512

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 06:50:20 PM

Hi everyone,

Although this is my first post, I'm not a complete noob here. I have been following the bitcoin news for quite some time and, although initially I was sceptical, I am now fully confident Bitcoin is going to make it.

Having a visual arts background, I can't help noticing how Bitcoin's graphical support is lacking the modern edge it deserves. I mean no disrespect to any of the fine people who devoted their time and good will to design the existing and past promo materials. But I do believe there is room for improvement.

Since I am excited to support Bitcoin's evolution and expansion in the best way I possibly can, I have come up with a new visual ID for BTC which includes a new logo and a set of buttons.

I am aware that currently used graphical support has its value not just in its appearance but also in its wide ranging prominence. However, modernising the brand now is still better than doing it several years down the road when half the world would have to support the switch. Besides, from everything I've seen so far, this is a community of devoted Bitcoin supporters who will be eager and agile in supporting the transition, provided that we reach consensus on this.

So, without further ado, here are the graphical elements I am suggesting to be used to represent Bitcoin:

nope

the doube strikethrough is bitcoin, the single strikethrough is the thai baht... trust me you dont want to mess with the thai government..

but feel free to design something thats not already used,. after all coming soon people will start measuring bitcoins in such small amounts (atleast 500 out of 700 votes to name it 'bits' to represent 100 satoshi's) so it might be worth you concentrating on designing the symbol for 'bits'

þ   Þ  β   Ъ  ъ  Б  Ѣ  ᵬ  ҍ

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Goldmundo (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2014, 07:08:39 PM
Last edit: September 29, 2014, 07:32:44 PM by Goldmundo

Thank you for your input, franky.

Funnily enough, I happen to live in Thailand. I just never realised their single-strike B (which can rarely be seen in everyday life btw) is the official symbol for THB.

As for your other comment, I beg to disagree. The currency has its name and it's not likely this name will ever change. We can have bits or satoshis but the logo and the symbol of the currency should not be designed around them. Correct?

Of course, designing the symbol for bits or other smaller fractions will be a natural addition to an overall redesign of graphic materials - but I believe this addition should support and extend the other visual elements - not replace them.

How does everyone feel about the two-strike B? Is it worthy of permanently being used as a symbol of BTC currency? Perhaps I can try to modify the design to make it double-strikethrough and still keep the harmony of the shapes and overall feel. Will give it a try. Though it's worth considering abandoning the strikethrough thing altogether and going with something as fresh and innovative as bitcoin is. Thoughts?
UsernameBitcoin

Activity: 530
Merit: 250

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 07:24:12 PM

I would advise against a change. It's already established and widely used among shops, exchanges,...
The non-Bitcoin world should not be confused with several logos floating around.
Besides, I think the orange color looks better, more eye catching and is a better representation of themes like "innovation" than this serious blue.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
Daggett993

Activity: 22

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 07:25:20 PM

I really like these designs and the color scheme would serve bitcoin better in the long run.  The "Ubuntu Orange" as I call it is simply uglier than the cool and modern blue.
borna_121136

Activity: 42

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 07:28:02 PM

BTC was getting a bit boring I guess, Time for some new upgrades Cool Cool
Goldmundo (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2014, 07:33:20 PM

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate everyone's input. Keep it coming! Smiley
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4242
Merit: 4512

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 07:46:09 PM

id say for bitcoin (100,000,000 satoshis) is pretty much set in peoples minds as the double strike through BTC. but the background of orange or blue is flexible and wont cause 'consumer confusion' so feel free to make your marketing material blue (no one will really be as bothered)

id say keep the BTC for the proper bitcoin, as you will come up with many objections/obstacles trying to convince people to change the double strike through for something else.

as for the other point you made
i am not saying to remove bitcoins BTC symbol and everyone to only know of 'bits' im just saying to have BOTH..

so BTC for bitcoin AND another symbol for 'bits'. and you will have much more excitement, fun, freedom and success to aim your talent and energy into designing the symbol of 'bits' as no one yet has really ear marked a final design of a 'bits' symbol.

try to not only think about how nice it would look with colours, shapes, shading. but also how easy it was to be typed out in a email (using current unicode symbols) and of those which would feel easier and more comfortable for people to handwrite with a pen and paper.

the more easier to write on computer/paper and the more unique and great design you make it willget you the success of everyone taking it onboard.

goodluck.

summary: concentrate on 'bits'

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Goldmundo (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2014, 07:51:21 PM

Thanks, franky. Makes sense, indeed.
BittBurger

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 08:01:19 PM

Gold -

Great work and good effort.  I think we kind of need to sit back and let the current brand logo become familiar for a few years first though.  Name and visual recognition are everything in adoption and marketing.  Rebranding is never done this soon in the game, especially with such extensive infrastructure growth.  Rebranding is typically saved for when something has been around an extremely long time (10+ years).  And for companies that need an injection of new business, as they are floundering financially.

I personally do not feel the current bitcoin logo is "old" looking at all.  Its quite contemporary and works well.  In 5 years it may start to look a little stale.  Then maybe some new ideas might start to pop up. 

When less than 1% of the population of the world knows what Bitcoin is, its really too soon to be talking about rebranding. 

NeoSans is a killer font though!  Use it for the logo on my website as well Smiley 

Just my 0.02

-B-

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
jbrnt

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 08:10:35 PM

I like the blue. Not a fan of the rounded comical "B" though. I am not opposed to change, we can have many styles of the BTC symbol, like we have different font for the dollar sign. At this stage, I prefer the orange times roman "B" because it is more well known and widely accepted. Thanks for the effort.
BitcoinPenny
aka CJBianco
Legendary

Activity: 2671
Merit: 2203

BitcoinPenny.com

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2014, 08:18:29 PM

i am not saying to remove bitcoins BTC symbol and everyone to only know of 'bits' im just saying to have BOTH..

so BTC for bitcoin AND another symbol for 'bits'.

Like dollars and cents--one symbol for the big money; one symbol for the small money. Makes sense (cents?) to me. I like it.

Christopher

BitcoinPenny.com | "When it comes to bitcoin swag, we make perfect CENTS!"
Mjbmonetarymetals
Legendary

Activity: 1096
Merit: 1067

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 08:31:48 PM

Nice work ! The colour and the single strike reminds me of something  Grin http://imgur.com/wxh0Mdg

Bitrated user: Mick.
cozk

Activity: 812

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 08:32:49 PM

lol.

What about no ?
R2D221

Activity: 658

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 08:40:42 PM

nope

the doube strikethrough is bitcoin, the single strikethrough is the thai baht... trust me you dont want to mess with the thai government..

This again. The same symbol for different currencies is not an issue. Just look at this:

$

What is it? Pesos? Dollars? It's actually both, and people can cope with it and nobody's angry about it.

An economy based on endless growth is unsustainable.
R2D221

Activity: 658

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 08:44:28 PM

I still like the original design better. I don't know, the italic ฿ seems a little dull to me.

An economy based on endless growth is unsustainable.
colinistheman

Activity: 884
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 11:52:02 PM

I really like this new blue version.

Specifically I like the slightly rounded font chosen for the "B". It's sleak and modern. The font is better than the old logo font

It reminds me more of the PayPal logo (not that PayPal is a good thing, but the modern-ness of the logo IS a good thing)

.BIG WINNER!.
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████

▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████

██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░

██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄

██░████████░███████░█
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████

▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
Rishblitz

Activity: 308
Merit: 100

I'm nothing without GOD

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 12:02:53 AM

Hi everyone,

nope

but feel free to design something thats not already used,. after all coming soon people will start measuring bitcoins in such small amounts (atleast 500 out of 700 votes to name it 'bits' to represent 100 satoshi's) so it might be worth you concentrating on designing the symbol for 'bits'

Don't mess with the thai government. Haha that made my day

Waramp22

Activity: 321
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 12:10:50 AM

nope

Agreed.

If 1 btc = $10,000 people will be buying and selling in strictly bits or even some day satoshis.
bits needs a symbol. Perhaps a lowercase b with a single line? bits will be the dollars and satoshis the cents.

Scammed by Black Arrow? See the consumer complaint thread here -
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=681965.0
newflesh

Activity: 630

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 12:38:12 AM

Nice designs but I don't think Bitcoin needs to change its logo, the Ubuntu font gives it character and I like the fact it isn't an uber sleek 'B'
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: