Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 02:26:23 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: New logo and visual identity for Bitcoin  (Read 5072 times)
thefuture

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

★☆★777Coin.com★☆★ What are you waiting for?

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 03:30:31 PM

An overall community change of the bitcoin logo will never happen. I support your efforts in designing a "new" logo. Yet this will only be adopted by few and will be recognized by bitcoin users if they run across this logo at a shop or online store, but not used as the main theme for bitcoin's logo.

Which one is the "main" logo, the orange one or the gold one used for this forum?

The gold logo used on here, is simply a Coin Logo. the Orange one is the "main" logo in my eyes. but everyone's opinion may be different

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4256
Merit: 4532

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 03:40:00 PM

The gold logo used on here, is simply a Coin Logo. the Orange one is the "main" logo in my eyes. but everyone's opinion may be different

yes many opinions.
in my eyes as long as its BTC then i know its bitcoin. i can type it, hand write it. no problems. as for the background. that is all personal preference. alot of people use the orange circle for 'bumper stickers' and merchant material like window stickers and stuff. where as the gold coin is more used for "glossy PR stuff" like media presentations, leaflets, news reports, TV stuff.

i think 10% care about the background but 90% care about the actual BTC symbol.

either way. this discussion proved my earliest point a few pages back.

altering "bitcoin" has caused 4 pages of debate. the OP will have more creative freedom without pages of debate by concentrating on 'bits'

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Goldmundo (OP)

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2014, 04:43:49 PM

Hey, debate is good. Smiley

It helps me to see how people react to the change and although the people who comment here may not be representative of the whole community it still means something.

I'm here with a genuine wish to help Bitcoin succeed. I don't give a rat's ass for someone saying "hey, you know, Goldmund designed the Bitcoin logo". I stopped doing design for money (or fame) long time ago. Therefore, I wish to try my best to offer a solution that will both look strong enough and still manage to get the long time bitcoin people to accept it. Not everyone can be pleased but, luckily, that is not the goal. My goal is to recreate Bitcoin's visual identity to give it a modern, timeless design that will stay with it through many years of explosive growth. Is it a huge task? Yes. Am I up to it? Time will tell, but I sure am not going to give up after a few people on the forum said they like the "drunken BTC" and there's no need to change anything. Smiley

If there are other professional designers who are also Bitcoin enthusiasts I would be happy to collaborate and exchange ideas. It will be more fun!
Sophokles

Activity: 1218
Merit: 516

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2014, 07:44:26 PM

Yeah, I was quite sure this 'design' was meant to be a joke.
btw, what does P.G. mean?
Nothing on there seems to fit the context: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=PG

p.g is a known user on this forum called Phinnaeus Gage (gleb is one of phinnaeus's most recent alternate names.)

sometimes he makes sense and has valid, smart comments.. but sometimes he, well ill leave you to form an opinion on him

Thanks for clearing that up. I know Phinnaeus' posts for sure. Plenty of them around. Didn't know Gleb was his new handle.

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 ElonCoin.org 
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"
▬▬▬▬▬
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 10:20:56 PM

goldmundo. in my next post ill show you something that is new compared to the standard design of a well known corporation. and although its new and different, you will instantly recognize the company it refers to even without me saying it.

you need to realize that all the media, PR companies, and businesses trading bitcoin recognize the BTC being bitcoin. as for which font it uses or the colour scheme.. feel free to be creative.

just realise what is the most recognised feature people relate to bitcoin, keep that. and then feel free to change the rest

but if you really want a clean slate. aim you talents at bits.

Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 10:22:30 PM

anyone recognise the company this logo refers to

Goldmundo (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2014, 11:57:24 PM

*Steps backward, defocuses eyes*

Hmmmm... let's see.. Microsoft?

Smiley
Just kidding. Got the point. And.. thank you for being the most constructive contributor in this thread. I appreciate it.
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 04:34:11 PM

i got bored and thought id might inspire your creative mind

Goldmundo (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2014, 05:18:34 AM

Which one do you like most?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/54619107/Goldmund/bitcoin/bitcoin-symbol-preview.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/54619107/Goldmund/bitcoin/bitcoin-logo-proposals.jpg
zimmah
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 05:40:12 AM

Hi everyone,

Although this is my first post, I'm not a complete noob here. I have been following the bitcoin news for quite some time and, although initially I was sceptical, I am now fully confident Bitcoin is going to make it.

Having a visual arts background, I can't help noticing how Bitcoin's graphical support is lacking the modern edge it deserves. I mean no disrespect to any of the fine people who devoted their time and good will to design the existing and past promo materials. But I do believe there is room for improvement.

Since I am excited to support Bitcoin's evolution and expansion in the best way I possibly can, I have come up with a new visual ID for BTC which includes a new logo and a set of buttons.

I am aware that currently used graphical support has its value not just in its appearance but also in its wide ranging prominence. However, modernising the brand now is still better than doing it several years down the road when half the world would have to support the switch. Besides, from everything I've seen so far, this is a community of devoted Bitcoin supporters who will be eager and agile in supporting the transition, provided that we reach consensus on this.

So, without further ado, here are the graphical elements I am suggesting to be used to represent Bitcoin:

https://medium.com/btc-magazine/new-visual-identity-for-bitcoin-85fcdca7ac41

Thank you for your attention. I hope for good feedback.

nope

the doube strikethrough is bitcoin, the single strikethrough is the thai baht... trust me you dont want to mess with the thai government..

but feel free to design something thats not already used,. after all coming soon people will start measuring bitcoins in such small amounts (atleast 500 out of 700 votes to name it 'bits' to represent 100 satoshi's) so it might be worth you concentrating on designing the symbol for 'bits'

þ   Þ  β   Ъ  ъ  Б  Ѣ  ᵬ  ҍ

The votes were mostly to show support for the fact that 100 satoshi as a unit should have its own name.

However the name bit itself does not nearly have that much support. And has equal if not greater amounts of people opposing to that name as it has support.

R2D221

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 11:39:30 AM

2 or 4, B or E.
I don't like G because it looks similar to MasterCard.

An economy based on endless growth is unsustainable.
URSAY
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 05:27:56 PM

Bitcoin is new and nothing in Bitcoin has been done a "long time ago" unless you think 5 years is a long time.

Yes, 5 years is a LONG TIME for any brand or business.  Especially in tech.
Goldmundo (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2014, 12:05:17 PM

@URSAY

5 years is a long time in tech, yes. But Bitcoin, in real world terms and for the purpose of this particular discussion, is about a year old. There's no point in counting its age from Satoshi's white paper. And while it's getting worldwide popularity and media coverage, it can still be considered to be in its infancy. If it is ever going to really succeed it means at least 20% of the world's population will be using it. So, right now, although it might seem to you as an established, widely recognised brand, the truth is - most people have no clue about it and are yet to get introduced to it and its branding elements such as symbol, logo, "accepted here" buttons etc.

Therefore, the time is now to act and modernise these elements before BTC gains wider adoption.

Anyone care to share their preference regarding the design concepts shown above? It would help me move on with refining this until I reach my final design proposition.

Again, other designers, if we have any here, please chime in.
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 01:23:38 PM

If it is ever going to really succeed it means at least 20% of the world's population will be using it.

only 5% of the world use USDollar.. i mean actually use..
361million vs 7billion=under 5%

yet USD's scope, power and effect on the other 95% is massive, even if the 95% dont physically use it

abercrombie
Legendary

Activity: 1159
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 01:36:41 PM

Originally, I didn't like the original design.  At the time of inception, Bitcoin didn't have the full support of graphic designers like the current set of cool Alt coin logos.

Eventually, the original Bitcoin design grew on me and now I prefer it over any redesigns.

Vandroid

Activity: 24

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 03:31:34 PM

Good Design for Bitcoin ! you choiche the good colour and fonts , its simple and funny  Grin
It may be true bitcoin should do something changes  Cool
PostCreatedBy:Vandroid
Waramp22

Activity: 321
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 06:03:49 PM

None of the above.

In the coming years when bitcoin is +$10,000 the symbol for the bitcoin will irrelevant to the everyday user, as it is much too large of a denomination. Only governments and large companies would deal in BTC

As someone said earlier, I think you should take this opportunity to point your skills to making a symbol for the bit, as there is still time for that. Perhaps a lowercase b with crumbling pieces around it?

BTC.000054 or 54 bits could be typed as ..b54 (the decimal points in front of the b are little bits, i dont like the decimals after the b as this might be confused with a real decimal point)

Scammed by Black Arrow? See the consumer complaint thread here -
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=681965.0
btcbug

Activity: 399
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 11:39:01 PM

I like G the most.

Is it possible to us a hybrid version? What I mean is that I really like your font and color in G., but what would that look like with the double strikethough? That way we'd have a bit of old and new.
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
October 06, 2014, 01:01:21 AM
Last edit: October 06, 2014, 01:15:11 AM by franky1

hmmm goldmungo, i see your subtle plan

you use a crap ugly font for the double strikethrough to make it look bland(not times new roman or neo).. and then use nice font(neo) for the single strike through..

and i see btcbug asked for a hybrid, so i mocked one up using the nicer font

but i got to agree does look too mastercardy.. well the old debitcard cirrus (owned by mastercard)

Goldmundo (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 06, 2014, 03:09:04 AM
Last edit: October 06, 2014, 03:25:44 AM by Goldmundo

LOL there is no subtle plan.  Grin

The typeface you call "crap ugly" is Helvetica, one of the supreme deities in typography. Smiley

The simple truth is, as much as I like Neo Sans, doing a double strike through with it is not an option. I can't see a way to do it and still have it look good.

I realise similarity with Cirrus logo is too much. But there's many people who seem to like #5 so I'm thinking to perhaps mix it with #4 thus removing any similarity with Cirrus. When I designed it I wasn't thinking "Cirrus", I was thinking "coins".

I'm taking all input from here and elsewhere into account and will come up with a new round of revisions soon. Thanks everyone and keep your comments coming!
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: