Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 07:28:33 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Running Armory from USB 3.0 Hard Drive  (Read 1367 times)
ZXSpectrum (OP)

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2014, 08:13:47 PM

Hi all,

As my main hard drive is only an 80gb SSD, I put Armory on a USB hard drive. The Synchronizing with network part, how long should that take? I haven't timed mine but it seems to take quite a while to start. Any performance tricks or tips I'm missing? I can copy files to/from Windows at 50+ meg a sec. How would you start bitcoind with the Armory options to watch what it was doing more? Like I can't just run bitcoind because I have custom path settings etc it would start looking at my C drive.

Thanks in advance.
ForgottenPassword

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 06:15:21 AM

IIRC while your hard drive IO speed is a factor, the main bottleneck when syncing the blockchain is your CPU. I don't think an external HDD will impact initial sync time too much. Armory sync isn't too bad now that it uses the blockchain torrent.

To get some information from bitcoind (such as the synchronized block height) try running bitcoin-cli getinfo from a terminal.

I have private messages disabled. Send me an email instead. My contact details can be found here.

Tip Address: 13Lwo1hK5smoBpFWxmqeKSL52EvN8U7asX
picobit

Activity: 547
Merit: 500

Decor in numeris

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 11:44:15 AM

Try downloading the initial block chain with bittorrent.  On a windows machine, Armory should be able to do that for you.  It cuts down the time to sync bitcoind from many days to half a day or so.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: