Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 11:07:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Got my Trezor Today  (Read 2313 times)
caribbeanbitcoiner (OP)

Activity: 131
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 08:53:46 PM

Grin So excited. Got the Trezor for $80  Shocked

I'm going to move my 1.37 BTC from Coinbase to the Trezor. Any Tips for a newbie like me?
newIndia
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1049

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 09:08:02 PM

I'm going to move my 1.37 BTC from Coinbase to the Trezor. Any Tips for a newbie like me?

Just dont make any copy-paste typo while sending the Bitcoins and keep the Trezor in safe place. Happy hoarding Smiley

caribbeanbitcoiner (OP)

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 10:51:35 PM

Just dont make any copy-paste typo while sending the Bitcoins and keep the Trezor in safe place. Happy hoarding Smiley

Another thing I bought it through ebay how do I verify authenticity?
thms

Activity: 427
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 10:54:12 PM

I wouldn't trust a Trezor bought on Ebay.
caribbeanbitcoiner (OP)

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 11:12:51 PM

It's still plastic wrapped and the Trezor seal is still on the box. Did I waste my money? Cry
knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 11:15:39 PM

It's still plastic wrapped and the Trezor seal is still on the box. Did I waste my money? Cry

It might be OK but you should contact Trezor on this.

odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4326
Merit: 3234

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 11:20:11 PM

The trezor box is glued shut and very difficult to open without destroying the box. Even so, somebody could just send it in another box. However, getting into the device itself is also very difficult. If it doesn't look tampered with and it hasn't been initialized, then I wouldn't worry about it.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
caribbeanbitcoiner (OP)

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 11:35:38 PM

The trezor box is glued shut and very difficult to open without destroying the box. Even so, somebody could just send it in another box. However, getting into the device itself is also very difficult. If it doesn't look tampered with and it hasn't been initialized, then I wouldn't worry about it.

Thank you, that's what I thought Wink
haploid23
Legendary

Activity: 812
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2014, 12:55:20 AM

Yes but have you seen how well-made a lot of Chinese clones are nowadays? There will be times when you will not be able to tell the difference. For a device like this, it does not look difficult to make the Trezor casing and packaging. All it takes is malicious firmware and your btc is as good as gone once you plug it into a computer with internet a few times.

I might sound paranoid, but personally I wouldn't trust the source unless it's verifiable. You should ask that ebay seller to provide the original receipt of the Trezor.

Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 01:07:53 AM

Thank you, that's what I thought Wink
Like some people mentioned, contact Trezor, but really, for testing purposes, send 0.10 or so, wait a few days and see if they get stolen.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
caribbeanbitcoiner (OP)

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 01:26:40 AM

Yes but have you seen how well-made a lot of Chinese clones are nowadays? There will be times when you will not be able to tell the difference. For a device like this, it does not look difficult to make the Trezor casing and packaging. All it takes is malicious firmware and your btc is as good as gone once you plug it into a computer with internet a few times.

I might sound paranoid, but personally I wouldn't trust the source unless it's verifiable. You should ask that ebay seller to provide the original receipt of the Trezor.

It came with the Customs Declaration Form which said it came from the Czech Rep. The person I bought it from told me he won it in a Internet Contest. His name and address is on the original package  Grin
a447513372

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

DLISK - Next Generation Coin

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 01:45:36 AM

I would. The plastic "shell" that is being described is not difficult to procure. I would certainly think this would be a cost effective way to scam as people are likely to trust a lot of their bitcoin to their trezor considering the cost.

Also putting .1 BTC is not enough to test to see if your money is safe with it as this is worth well below the purchase price of a trezor so it should be obvious to any attacker that the .1 BTC is only "bait"

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
           ▄▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄
       ▄▄█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████▄▄
     ▄████▀ ▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄ ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀ ▄▄▀▀      ████  ▀▀▄▄ ▀▀███▄
  ████ ▄███████████████      ▀█  ████
 ███▀ ▄██████████████████      █  ▀███
▄███            ████ ████      ▀█ ███▄
███ ▄█           ████  ████      █▄ ███
███            ████   ████       █ ███
███ ▀█          ████  ████       █▀ ███
▀▀▀▀           █████████       ▄█ ███▀
 ██████████████████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀ ▄███
  ██████████████████████████████████
    ▄▄▄▄  ▀▄▄       ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀████▀
     ▀████▄ ▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀ ▄████▀
       ▀▀██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
           ▀▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀▀

████                ▄████
    ████████████████                ████   ▄▄███████████████          ▄█████▀
   ██████████████████               ██▀▀ ██████████████████        ▄█████▀
             ▀████████             ███ ████▀                    ▄█████▀
             ▄█████████            ██▀ ███▀                  ▄█████▀
             ████ ▀████           ███ ████▄               ▄█████▀
             ████  ████           ███▄ ██████████████▀ ▄█████▀
            ████  ▄████           ████  ▀████████████▄ ▀█████▄
            ████ ▄████           ████               ▀██▄  █████▄
            ████████▀            ████               ▄████   █████▄
           ███████▀            ███▀              ▄█████▀     █████▄
 ██████████████████████████████ ███ ▄█████████████████▀         █████▄
█████████████▀▀▀██████████████ ▄██ ▄████████████████▀             █████▄

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
lyth0s
Legendary

Activity: 1260

World Class Cryptonaire

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 02:40:19 AM

The bottom of the Trezor box doesn't have a seal, look for any evidence of tamper with the bottom. Also is there a way to reset the trezor seed? If it already has one I definitely wouldn't use it, but that's just me.

Monero - Truly Anonymous Digital Cash. Bitcoin Reading List 2017
caribbeanbitcoiner (OP)

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 02:44:05 AM

The bottom of the Trezor box doesn't have a seal, look for any evidence of tamper with the bottom. Also is there a way to reset the trezor seed? If it already has one I definitely wouldn't use it, but that's just me.

That's it in the picture.
lyth0s
Legendary

World Class Cryptonaire

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 02:45:51 AM

From what I can see there it looks like the bottom of the box (in the middle of the bottom) looks like the packaging was messed with. Does it have really rough edges on the bottom? Like someone opened it and re-glued it shut? A photo of the white part of the bottom of the box would be helpful.

caribbeanbitcoiner (OP)

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 02:48:20 AM

From what I can see there it looks like the bottom of the box (in the middle of the bottom) looks like the packaging was messed with. Does it have really rough edges on the bottom? Like someone opened it and re-glued it shut? A photo of the white part of the bottom of the box would be helpful.

The edges feel pretty smooth.
lyth0s
Legendary

World Class Cryptonaire

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 02:57:43 AM

What I'm talking about is this. From the two arrows and all the cardboard in between them

https://i.imgur.com/0gTTjdx.png

caribbeanbitcoiner (OP)

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 03:02:58 AM

What I'm talking about is this. From the two arrows and all the cardboard in between them

https://i.imgur.com/0gTTjdx.png

Ohhh Gotcha, There's a little bump on the lower right corner but it feels smooth.
lyth0s
Legendary

World Class Cryptonaire

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 03:59:56 AM

Ok cause those look like major defects. Good luck and be safe with your coins!

AtheistAKASaneBrain

Activity: 770
Merit: 509

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 11:34:43 AM

What's the difference between hoarding Bitcoin in a trezor vs hoarding Bitcoin in say, an USB stick and a backup in a harddrive and whatnot? Is it waterprooft?
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: