Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 01:32:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Have you ever used an alt coin to purchase anything other than cryptocurrency?  (Read 1837 times)
Armis (OP)

Activity: 588
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 01:58:41 AM
Last edit: September 30, 2014, 02:30:12 AM by Armis

everyday someone is either introducing a new alt coin or a new way to trade alt coins, but i'm wondering how many alt coin owner use their coins to actually buy thing outside of the crypto currency realm?

Have you ever shopped at a crypto stores  (there are over 500)?
Have you figured out  a way to use your favorite coin to pay your utility bill?

How can we maximize our resources?
TheMage

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

Litecoin Association Director

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 03:24:34 AM

Yes, I've bought things with Litecoin Smiley.

Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/TheRealMage for Litecoin and Litecoin Association news!
anderl

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 03:56:12 AM

Yeah I use Litecoin too.  Bitcoin is more pervasive so it's a little easier to use.  But I'm seeing Litecoin more and more out in the wild.  When I get a chance I use it over Bitcoin as the transactions are faster.  I buy stuff online and the whole 1 hour for confirmations is a pain.  Yes I know that shops can confirm much faster but not too many do so I'm stuck. What is worse is when I have to get by purchase in to get an overnight delivery.  I've missed the shipping window a few times.  That is mostly my fault ordering last minute but hey I'd like to see you remember your anniversary.  LOL.

All the other coins are not there yet.  NXT, Ripple may have market cap on par with Litecoin but I have never seen them anywhere so why bother with them.  2 years ago I was all about Bitcoin but I've been slowly becoming a Litecoin user.
TaylorSwift

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 04:57:17 AM

I've used litecoin to buy a domain name. Smiley
Armis (OP)

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 05:06:02 AM

Yeah I use Litecoin too.  Bitcoin is more pervasive so it's a little easier to use.  But I'm seeing Litecoin more and more out in the wild.  When I get a chance I use it over Bitcoin as the transactions are faster.  I buy stuff online and the whole 1 hour for confirmations is a pain.  Yes I know that shops can confirm much faster but not too many do so I'm stuck. What is worse is when I have to get by purchase in to get an overnight delivery.  I've missed the shipping window a few times.  That is mostly my fault ordering last minute but hey I'd like to see you remember your anniversary.  LOL.

All the other coins are not there yet.  NXT, Ripple may have market cap on par with Litecoin but I have never seen them anywhere so why bother with them.  2 years ago I was all about Bitcoin but I've been slowly becoming a Litecoin user.

TheMage, anderl, and TaylorSwift
what's a good site to go to to shop with cryptocurrency?
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2014, 05:11:17 AM

A couple years ago I was buying expensive silver with cheap Litecoins.

Whoops! >.<   Angry   Cry   Cry   Cry   Roll Eyes   Grin

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
devphp

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 05:22:49 AM

Yes, I use NXT to buy tokens on NXT Asset Exchange, does that qualify?
kenel

Activity: 578

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 05:24:21 AM

Just used Digitalcoin (DGC) to buy some hot sauces and honey last week.
Armis (OP)

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 05:38:54 AM

Just used Digitalcoin (DGC) to buy some hot sauces and honey last week.

yeah, like that,

I saw the hot sauces guy, he's the one with that whole big crypto exchange rate chart right?

what was it about him, his product, service or whatever that made you feel comfortable to do the deal?

and why'd you pick that currency to do the deal with?  did you weigh options or what?

sure, technically.    But the fact is you really didn't want the token, you wanted what the token could get you.   So the token was the currency for the real deal not NXT CC.
thanks for participating though

A couple years ago I was buying expensive silver with cheap Litecoins.

Whoops! >.<   Angry   Cry   Cry   Cry   Roll Eyes   Grin

ouch, sorry about that

considering you did that 'years' ago, you are a truly seasoned CC vet

The Master

Activity: 36

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 05:49:23 AM

I used LibrexCoin to buy a video card on coingateway. You can use LibrexCoin pretty much where btc is used because they have associations with 4 main coinpayment apps like coin payments.net and others. You can even buy a sub at Subway with LibrexCoins.  Cool
devphp

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 06:02:59 AM

sure, technically.    But the fact is you really didn't want the token, you wanted what the token could get you.   So the token was the currency for the real deal not NXT CC.

Isn't any currency not wanted for the sake of currency but for the sake of what you can get with it?
Anyway, most things are cheaper and easier to buy with fiat now, crypto currencies don't have many unique use cases yet.
Armis (OP)

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 06:29:00 AM
Last edit: September 30, 2014, 06:42:52 AM by Armis

I used LibrexCoin to buy a video card on coingateway. You can use LibrexCoin pretty much where btc is used because they have associations with 4 main coinpayment apps like coin payments.net and others. You can even buy a sub at Subway with LibrexCoins.  Cool

Thanks for the information, it is the critical info that I am looking for.  What was it that most persuaded you to do business with that site -- the site reputation, the coinprocessor, or something else?

sure, technically.    But the fact is you really didn't want the token, you wanted what the token could get you.   So the token was the currency for the real deal not NXT CC.

Isn't any currency not wanted for the sake of currency but for the sake of what you can get with it?
Anyway, most things are cheaper and easier to buy with fiat now, crypto currencies don't have many unique use cases yet.

[re: the part in red], yes, that's what makes it a currency, but when you use it as 'a store of value' it isn't used as a currency instead it is used as a commodity -- hoping it goes up in value.

If you are involved with this forum, or in the CC biz, for any length of time you get the distinct impression that the overwhelming majority of coins are not created to be a currency, but rather to be commodities, which is why the major push is to get the coin to exchange market, not the grocery market.   

Once a currency is used more at stores than at exchanges the value of the coin at the exchange will skyrocket -- utility is the major move.

devphp

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 07:00:10 AM

But money's not wanted as a store of value for the sake of storing that value. It's wanted to store value to delay exchanging it for goods and services later, that is, it's wanted for what it can get you, in the future if not now (even when you have to exchange it to fiat first).

Commodity money means you can also use that money as commodity, with some unique properties. I don't think crypto currencies fit into the commodity category, well, not all of them at least. Some of the crypto currencies have unique properties that others don't have. Others are not unique at all. But again, even those unique properties are only as good as being able to exchange them to specific goods and services. After all, you can't eat, wear or make things out of crypto currencies. Definition of commodity doesn't fit. Digital commodity, as some like to name crypto currency, is only useful to define taxing rules, but the commodity part in it is meaningless.
Chris001

Activity: 448

electroneum.com

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 04:27:47 PM

Using coingateway, this guy just bought these tickets. But with the value about to rise with the release of V2, those were some very expensive tickets lol. But thanks to Joe for making the point and display of how Neos is already able to be used to buy things you need.

https://twitter.com/Bitcoin_Joe/status/515482837555093504

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=186785
Here is the link to my trust settings here on forum. This trust system is very unfair. I make good on every deal Ive ever made. I had many, many deals as you can see and I never scammed anyone. All it takes is a random account to give you negative trust and youre screwed. Tomatocage has never even talked to me ever but when the random acct hit me with negative trust, Tomatocage came right behind him and marked neg trust again so obviously he was the one who did it. You can look at Tomatocage trust and see how many of his compeditors at the currency exchange thread he labeled scammers. I never scammed anyone. My trust was green over 20 before this. I hope it never happens to you because the mods cant help you.
Armis (OP)

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 09:52:34 PM

Using coingateway, this guy just bought these tickets. But with the value about to rise with the release of V2, those were some very expensive tickets lol. But thanks to Joe for making the point and display of how Neos is already able to be used to buy things you need.

https://twitter.com/Bitcoin_Joe/status/515482837555093504

Are you saying he should not have used Neos and instead used the weaker Bitcoin for the transaction?

This begs the question, which coin do you spend the weak coin or the strong coin?

identtitentti

Activity: 56

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 10:28:59 PM

Yes
menlatin

Activity: 366
Merit: 260

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2014, 10:30:02 PM

With doge i've bought, coffee, LOTS of granola, tea, a couple t-shirts, some stickers, 10mh/s worth of hashlets and now with gocoin and paypal, i'll be buying A LOT more stuff with my doge!

Armis (OP)

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 10:54:52 PM

With doge i've bought, coffee, LOTS of granola, tea, a couple t-shirts, some stickers, 10mh/s worth of hashlets and now with gocoin and paypal, i'll be buying A LOT more stuff with my doge!

that's fantastic to hear, but could you tell me more about "gocoin and paypal"?  

I've been hearing a lot about what paypal is going to do, did they actually do something?

Those doge purchases where done at physical stores, or online stores?  If online what stores?

Yes

thanks for contributing to the discussion, would you elaborate a bit, like what did you buy, what currency did you use, where did you buy it, was it using one of bitpay's tools or direct alt coin payment.

all alt coins need to figure out ways to make their coins useful, seeing what other coins do is often the motivation they need to take their coin to the next level.
awais3344_1

Activity: 350

View Profile
October 18, 2014, 06:15:13 AM

i bought domains, servers with doges and btc. I have also paid a guy to buy a nice phone.  Wink

░▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒▒░
           ░▒█████████████████████▒░
         ▓███████████████████████████▓░
      ░███████████████▓░▒███████████████░
     ▓██████████▓▓▒░        ▒▒▓▓██████████
   ░███▓                               ▒███▒
  ░████               ▒▒▒               ████▒
 ░█████░           ░███████░            █████▒
 ██████░          ░██      ██▒          ██████
░██████░          ██       ██           ██████▒
▓██████           ██░ ░   ░██           ███████
▓██████         ████████████████        ███████
▓██████        █████████████████        ███████
░██████▒       ███████████████       ░██████▓
 ███████       █████████████████       ▓██████
 ░███████       ████████████████      ▓██████▒
  ▒███████▒       ░ ░     ░ ░       ░███████▒
   ░████████▒                     ▒████████▒
     ▓████████▓░               ░▓█████████
      ░██████████▓░          ▓██████████░
         ▓██████████▒     ▒██████████▓░
           ░▒██████████▒▓█████████▓░
                 ░▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒▒░
ScryptAsic

Activity: 647

GainerCoin.com 🔥 Masternode coin 🔥

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2014, 06:18:56 AM

Well, I used litecoin to buy mining gear...
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: