Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 07:15:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Reddit is thinking about creating a cryptocurrency  (Read 1615 times)
BlackVista (OP)

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 08:32:08 PM

https://www.reddit.com/r/blog/comments/2hwpmm/fundraising_for_reddit/ckwph30?context=3

Given how many users Reddit has, I think it could be incredibly cool and raise pretty big awareness about cryptocurrencies. 

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
25hashcoin

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 08:35:27 PM

https://www.reddit.com/r/blog/comments/2hwpmm/fundraising_for_reddit/ckwph30?context=3

Given how many users Reddit has, I think it could be incredibly cool and raise pretty big awareness about cryptocurrencies.  

No.

Bitcoin - Peer to Peer Electronic CASH
eid

Activity: 616

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 08:42:36 PM

No.

Why did you edit your original (most eloquent) post "nah, fuck reddit", only to replace it with this one which lacks a certain je ne sais quoi?

It was so well argued after all!

(Sorry I have nothing original to add to the thread so am reduced to poking fun at newbies (again)).
trolek1

Activity: 131
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 08:45:42 PM

What site is next? Google cryptocurrence or ebay-coin?
25hashcoin

Activity: 574

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 08:47:10 PM

No.

Why did you edit your original (most eloquent) post "nah, fuck reddit", only to replace it with this one which lacks a certain je ne sais quoi?

Didn't want to take away from my voiced opinion that this is a terrible idea. Reddit should feel shamed.

Bitcoin - Peer to Peer Electronic CASH
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4414

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 08:54:21 PM

reddit is not making a crypto..
however a user that has moderator status of a few subthreads they created, is now shouting out about making a altcoin.. again. a USER. not the reddit CEO

so heres the problems i see
1. if there was a reddit coin. and it happen to get such fame that reddit adopted it to replace the reddit gold. then, there would be nothing to stop people removing value out of reddit (withdrawing gold) to then convert into fiat for users selfishness.
2. if its a crypto with people having wallets outside of reddit.. then its minable, thus not helping reddit.
3. if reddit made a coin purely for closed source internal use to keep control and get people to buy coin from them only.. then they might aswell stick with mysql and not have a blockchain.

so there are the 3 reasons reddit themselves are not really interested in making a coin themselves. its much easier to accept donations of bitcoin

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
yayayo
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1024

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 08:54:50 PM

No.

Grin

If the people at Reddit are smart they will use one or two of the existing Bitcoin 2.0 technologies (like MasterCoin) to issue their securities. It would save them a lot of work and cost. And they'd possibly get a bigger capital inflow from the Bitcoin community as well.

Whether they do it or not, I think it adds credibility to the usefullness of cryptocurrencies.

ya.ya.yo!

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
pizza77

Activity: 51

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 09:00:30 PM

We had a red coin, and a redd coin. If it's not officially made by reddit then they can't use the name reddit. What will they call it?
identtitentti

Activity: 56

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 11:18:10 PM

2. if its a crypto with people having wallets outside of reddit.. then its minable, thus not helping reddit.

PoW is not the only option. There are also PoS and other options.
bitsalame
Donator

Activity: 714
Merit: 510

Preaching the gospel of Satoshi

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 11:23:29 PM

Yet another unimaginative fork?
bigasic

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 01:41:02 AM

I just don't get why people dont stick with bitcoin. I guess they think they can make a shit ton by pre-mining,etc. But, im sick of seeing all these alt coins. We have enough, now, if someone comes out with the magical alt coin that solves ALL the problems, then ill take a look, but until then most alt coins are just that, alt...
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 01:55:14 AM
Last edit: October 01, 2014, 03:33:44 AM by Spoetnik

Gay.

and they already did they took an old coin called RedCoin and tacked on another 'd' and cloned it.. calling it Reddcoin  Roll Eyes
that was pretty much their coin so.. close enough.

Reddit is gay bullshit for faggy Tweens who wanna spout off.. only problem is kids are fucking stupid lol

Kiddiots = Reddiots

FUD first & ask questions later™
robrigo

Activity: 138

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 03:08:49 AM

however a user that has moderator status of a few subthreads they created, is now shouting out about making a altcoin.. again. a USER. not the reddit CEO

1. if there was a reddit coin. and it happen to get such fame that reddit adopted it to replace the reddit gold. then, there would be nothing to stop people removing value out of reddit (withdrawing gold) to then convert into fiat for users selfishness.
3. if reddit made a coin purely for closed source internal use to keep control and get people to buy coin from them only.. then they might aswell stick with mysql and not have a blockchain.

so there are the 3 reasons reddit themselves are not really interested in making a coin themselves. its much easier to accept donations of bitcoin

Actually "yishan" is the Reddit CEO. Here's an article where he is quoted about it: http://techcrunch.com/2014/09/30/reddit-scoops-up-50m-series-b-from-sam-altman-a16z-sequoia-at-500m-valuation/

They want to use it to redistribute 10% of $50 MM. back to the community.

Twitter: @robrig0

In Detroit? Want to learn more about BitShares? RSVP for the meetup! http://www.meetup.com/bitshares-worldwide/
ShawnLeary

Activity: 518
Merit: 504

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 03:28:04 AM

We had a red coin, and a redd coin. If it's not officially made by reddit then they can't use the name reddit. What will they call it?

Karma coin

"We have the power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine
TaunSew

Activity: 756
Merit: 506

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 03:30:03 AM

Actually "yishan" is the Reddit CEO. Here's an article where he is quoted about it: http://techcrunch.com/2014/09/30/reddit-scoops-up-50m-series-b-from-sam-altman-a16z-sequoia-at-500m-valuation/

So it's an air drop (they've been failing since the 1990s) and a centralized currency just like Ripple / Stellar - no thanks.

Just a money making scheme for Reddit forum - move along.

There ain't no Revolution like a NEMolution.  The only solution is Bitcoin's dissolution! NEM!
steady712

Activity: 121

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 04:01:18 AM

So it's an air drop (they've been failing since the 1990s) and a centralized currency just like Ripple / Stellar - no thanks.

Just a money making scheme for Reddit forum - move along.

Totally agree
PoS

Activity: 223
Merit: 101

If you can be anything, be kind and fair

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 07:31:08 PM

What site is next? Google cryptocurrence or ebay-coin?
Facebook Credits failed miserable, not a crypto nevertheless corporate, centralized, get away from it

The way things are going, soon every company and private person has his one coin
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 08:25:25 PM

(Coindesk.com) Reddit Raises $50 Million, Plans New Cryptocurrency to Reward Users

..for your reading pleasure ;)

uhhh soooo Reddit "raised" 50 million dollars usd to "give away" ? uhhh what ? LOL
what did they say at the fund raiser ?
hey everyone we want colossal amounts of money.. we're not sure why yet but we'll most likely just give it away HAHHHAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHA

aww god these fucking fags kill me I AM LAUGHING SO FUCKING HARD AHAHHAHAHHAA

like muthafuck does it automagicaly make you a fucking raging CORRUPT scheming retard the second you have anything to do with Reditt or what ?
like man these cum-guzzlin crypto queens just kill me LOLOLOL

and THEN the kicker is the idiots want to start ANOTHER crypto-currency to "give away" coins ?
yeah suuuuure.. all the other guys who made 1,000+ coins did so just to GIVE AWAY coins too  ::)

OMFG i just can't take it anymore.. you fucking scheming clown douches in crypto make me rofl my fucking balls off !
this is turning out to be the super web circus of scammery the ultimate interwebs show of all time.. grab your popcorns
and kick back and watch all the little scheming faggots try and worm your Bitcoin or Fiat away form you for ohhhhhhHHHHHHH so Noble causes  ::)
Save the mother fuckin' whales .................gimme your Bitcoin to do it LOL

FUD first & ask questions later™
TaunSew

Activity: 756
Merit: 506

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 08:59:56 PM

Does Reddit even have $50 million in disposable cash?  I think what they meant is they tacked on an artificial price to these Reddit coins and are expecting buyers to honor that price, which shows how naive they are.  If there's no way to negotiate the price for these coins then it's not a crypto currency but like Amazon coins.

There ain't no Revolution like a NEMolution.  The only solution is Bitcoin's dissolution! NEM!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: