Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 09:05:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Is Circle the Bitcoin killer application?
yes - 26 (52%)
no - 24 (48%)
Total Voters: 50

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Circle the killer application?  (Read 5179 times)
inBitweTrust

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 04:52:46 AM

Are there this many bitcoin users with absolutely no technical skill and don't want full control over their own assets?

Good point. Keep BTC p2p and most your money in Multi-sig cold storage.... but I have accounts with circle, coinbase, btc-e, btcchina, ect.... for a reason. When getting rid of my untrusted and dirty fiat I can choose which on ramp has the best exchange rate at a given point in time and even sometimes play around with arbitrage.

Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Inmydomain

Activity: 83
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 02:48:13 PM

It's all well and good being able to buy bitcoins easily but you have to have an ecosystem where the consumer can easily buy a whole variety of things before the average joe will start to use Bitcoin seriously

ChuckBuck

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2014, 02:54:03 PM

Circle isn't the killer app.  Not yet.

Until it figures out a way to get people outside of the realm of Crypto to want to use their service, it isn't quite there yet.

Need a way to incentivize people to use the app to promote the Bitcoin ecosystem, to truly call it a "killer app".  Circle isn't it.

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
ColdScam
cafucafucafu

Activity: 812
Merit: 509

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 02:57:32 PM

Yes. Now the average joe can use BTC easy while avoiding phrases that are confusing to them.

Yeah and still end up paying the same or more for their goods! The bank will take fees twice instead of once. Seriously we need a solution.

runam0k
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

Touchdown

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 03:01:46 PM

Linking bank accounts and (in many cases) credit and debit cards is still limited to the US, so no, not yet a killer app.
newflesh

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 03:44:37 PM

Maybe not a killa but it has just made buying btc a whole lot easier and less technical, exactly what bitcoin needs.

Will be interesting so see how many Circle users take advantage of the deposit insurance and keep their btc in Circle's wallet.
jabo38
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

mining is so 2012-2013

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2014, 04:06:25 PM

Circle isn't the killer app.  Not yet.

Until it figures out a way to get people outside of the realm of Crypto to want to use their service, it isn't quite there yet.

Need a way to incentivize people to use the app to promote the Bitcoin ecosystem, to truly call it a "killer app".  Circle isn't it.

+1  Very wise words

We are basically interested in Bitcoin because we like the tech or philosophy or potential earnings.

But what bitcoin needs is a reason for normal people to use it in a normal way.  Right now that just doesn't exist.

When bitcoin can do something in someway that is much better than the current system, that could be a good app. If it does it 10x better, then it will be the killer app.

Circle isn't there yet.

bornil267645

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

AltoCenter.com

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2014, 05:14:36 PM

I get it that it has all the features to make your botcoilife easy... But think twice before submitting something as sensitive as your credit card address into the site.

cambda

Activity: 759
Merit: 502

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 05:31:01 PM

It's all well and good being able to buy bitcoins easily but you have to have an ecosystem where the consumer can easily buy a whole variety of things before the average joe will start to use Bitcoin seriously

I think there are enought places where to spend Bitcoins. I believe better is getting paid in Bitcoins, not buying Bitcoins. But not many employers are ready for this.
RustyNomad

Activity: 336

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2014, 05:31:51 PM

Circle pays all transaction fees to miners on behalf of our customers! Smiley

Did a couple of tx's on circle and saw that no miner fee was taken from the tx's. Reported it to Circle and the above was the reply I received.....  Grin
toleng

Activity: 261

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 04:02:17 AM

Circle pays all transaction fees to miners on behalf of our customers! Smiley

Did a couple of tx's on circle and saw that no miner fee was taken from the tx's. Reported it to Circle and the above was the reply I received.....  Grin
They are able to manage their bitcoin inputs very easily as of now, as most people are likely purchasing bitcoin from them verses sending bitcoin from another address they control.

They also hope that they can facilitate a lot of off-chain transactions so their goal is to not pay a lot in TX fees.

Coinbase did the same thing for a long for most withdrawals, but eventually stopped and now force you to pay the "recommended" fee based on their available inputs
Itsumo

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

Play Rock Paper Scissor Lizard Spock

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 04:56:14 AM

I get it that it has all the features to make your botcoilife easy... But think twice before submitting something as sensitive as your credit card address into the site.

The Golden Rule is TRUST NO ONE.
ofortuna

Activity: 252

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 05:22:17 AM

I signed up and bought some bitcoin with my cc on circle.  Am I on THE LIST now? Should I be peeking through the shutters?

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
████BREAKOUT STAKEWEBSITEMULTICURRENCY SMART CONTRACTS + SIDECHAINS ANN ★  COINSALE July 10 – July 24  ████
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
lucasjkr

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 08:46:54 PM

Hardly a killer app.

A killer app is one which makes people WANT, no, NEED to buy bitcoin. Circles makes it easier, supposing they can stay in business, accepting credit cards for bitcoin and all. So, if/when a true killer app arrives, circle will make it easier for people to get in on it. But on its own, circle is just another exchange.
a447513372

Activity: 336

DLISK - Next Generation Coin

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 11:38:59 PM

I think there are enought places where to spend Bitcoins. I believe better is getting paid in Bitcoins, not buying Bitcoins. But not many employers are ready for this.
Circle is trying to make it easier to spend bitcoin from the user perspective. If they can get enough people to use bitcoin then there would potentially be demand for people to want to get paid in bitcoin

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
           ▄▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄
       ▄▄█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████▄▄
     ▄████▀ ▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄ ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀ ▄▄▀▀      ████  ▀▀▄▄ ▀▀███▄
  ████ ▄███████████████      ▀█  ████
 ███▀ ▄██████████████████      █  ▀███
▄███            ████ ████      ▀█ ███▄
███ ▄█           ████  ████      █▄ ███
███            ████   ████       █ ███
███ ▀█          ████  ████       █▀ ███
▀▀▀▀           █████████       ▄█ ███▀
 ██████████████████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀ ▄███
  ██████████████████████████████████
    ▄▄▄▄  ▀▄▄       ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀████▀
     ▀████▄ ▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀ ▄████▀
       ▀▀██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
           ▀▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀▀

████                ▄████
    ████████████████                ████   ▄▄███████████████          ▄█████▀
   ██████████████████               ██▀▀ ██████████████████        ▄█████▀
             ▀████████             ███ ████▀                    ▄█████▀
             ▄█████████            ██▀ ███▀                  ▄█████▀
             ████ ▀████           ███ ████▄               ▄█████▀
             ████  ████           ███▄ ██████████████▀ ▄█████▀
            ████  ▄████           ████  ▀████████████▄ ▀█████▄
            ████ ▄████           ████               ▀██▄  █████▄
            ████████▀            ████               ▄████   █████▄
           ███████▀            ███▀              ▄█████▀     █████▄
 ██████████████████████████████ ███ ▄█████████████████▀         █████▄
█████████████▀▀▀██████████████ ▄██ ▄████████████████▀             █████▄

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
rgenito

Activity: 140
Merit: 101

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2014, 11:45:20 PM

Circle *would* be the killer app...but unfortunately, they haven't done anything different.

Here are some killer apps at the moment:

http://breadwallet.com -- full bitcoin client for iOS. (no need for a web service, deterministic wallet, etc.)

https://wallofcoins.com -- Cash deposit to any of the top 10 banks in the USA for bitcoin. Inspired by Bit Instant (remember that?).

I must admit that I am the project leader for Wall of Coins, so this could be biased. If you'd like to discuss Wall of Coins, use this reddit link: http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2i6d0e/my_vision_and_passion_over_the_last_2_years/

https://geni.app - Genius – The Crypto Solution to Retirement
rgenito

Activity: 140
Merit: 101

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2014, 11:53:58 PM

Ya know, I gotta say tho... BittBurger has a *great* point. People *do* need a killer incentive. Without it, bitcoin's growth is going to be slow. And there's nothing wrong with that.

For example: let's say your government is going through a financial crisis. It's your choice: put up with the crap involved when trusting a 3rd party financial provider, or use a decentralized solution. We should ask ourselves:

* "why do people use bitcoin now?" when more people on earth have this reasoning, bitcoin will be one of their tools.

* "what is the use and incentive to use bitcoin?" many answers, but one is lowering merchant fees. Merchants who are sick of high fees may opt to accept bitcoin and try to convince its users to adopt bitcoin. Let's say the merchant offers a 1% discount for people paying with bitcoin... that is already an incentive. Frugal people will *love* that.

* "do bitcoin users plan on ever abandoning bitcoin as a global currency solution?" if more people are adopting bitcoin than the people abandoning it, and if this trend continues, bitcoin will continue to grow and eventually be the norm.

https://geni.app - Genius – The Crypto Solution to Retirement
Window2Wall

Activity: 191
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 01:17:47 AM

Hardly a killer app.

A killer app is one which makes people WANT, no, NEED to buy bitcoin. Circles makes it easier, supposing they can stay in business, accepting credit cards for bitcoin and all. So, if/when a true killer app arrives, circle will make it easier for people to get in on it. But on its own, circle is just another exchange.
Circle makes the user experience much different (and hopefully better) for using bitcoin. Today in order to be able to use bitcoin you need to be at least somewhat technological savvy, and even more so to be able to properly secure your bitcoin (for example if you change your encryption password to your wallet you will need to erase any backups that have the previous password). The concept that an account (address) does not have a "balance" is foreign to most people. Circle is trying to change the user experience so that more people will feel comfortable using bitcoin, which I think is a major hindrance to bitcoin adoption
igl00

Activity: 231
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2014, 03:04:02 AM

circle may rock!

sandykho47

Activity: 252
Merit: 251

Knowledge its everything

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 09:43:17 AM

Circle is very good
But, not killer  Smiley

It's still have some competitor
But, i think Circle is very good

Kemampuanku Tidak semua orang memiliki dan dapat melakukannya . Tidak memakan kaum sendiri . dan mempunyai kode etik yang tidak masuk akal.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: