Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 11:24:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: The price at which you ACTUALLY buy 1 Bitcoin.
$350 - 22 (35.5%)
$300 - 7 (11.3%)
$250 - 2 (3.2%)
$200 - 7 (11.3%)
$150 - 1 (1.6%)
$100 - 2 (3.2%)
$50 - 1 (1.6%)
$25 - 2 (3.2%)
$5 - 6 (9.7%)
Not buying/Cannot - 4 (6.5%)
Selling BTC, will never buy again. - 8 (12.9%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What is your buy price?  (Read 2192 times)
sgbett
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1087

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 07:53:05 PM

Buying. right now.

bitcoin is going to nowhere but down lower and lower, buying = lossing, buy more lose more

You're short sighted 'trader' view is becoming increasingly more vapid.

1. If I buy coins today, and then panic sell tomorrow when bitcoin hits $360, then yes I will have 6% less fiat.

2. If I buy coins today, and then panic sell in 4 weeks time when bitcoin hits $200 then I will have 50% less fiat.

3. If I buy coins today, and bitcoin goes KABOOM I will have lost 100% of my fiat invested.

There is *no point* selling BTC for less than what you bought them, I'm not here to increase my fiat by buying BTC cheap and selling them for more, because I don't have some misplaced belief that I am prescient.

I have enough fiat, I have a regular income. My life is satisfactory. So I can say with 100% confidence that #1 and #2 aren't going to happen.

If the third scenario plays out, then sure enough - you were right! What's the likelihood of that happening though? I think we have very different risk profiles in this regard. Yours seems to be based on the strongest of all emotions, the emotion most likely to drive man to insanity, the one that so powerful it cause you to do stupid shit like posting all caps on the internet about how big your e-peen is oblivious to the fact that doing so will not make you rich, get you a girl or save the entire planet.

I will lose and you can point and laugh, and I will carry on making my regular income, having my satisfactory life, confident that I made the right choices at the time given the available information to me. I will reflect on what an interesting experiment bitcoin was and what a fascinating experience I had, and how lucky I was to live through such a phenomenon.

Now to rule out the unmentioned option 4 you are going to have to disregard, millions of people interested in seeing BTC succeed, millions (billions?) of dollars of investment in BTC infrastructure, A global economy that is safe and stable enough that nothing can perturb it and that the human proclivity to advance just ceases.

Option 4 is that bitcoin succeeds. The actual price is irrelevant because dollars/pounds/sheckles are what you convert BTC to locally. Your wealth is measured by what percentage of total BTC you have. It seems this concept is lost on you though, because the only thing you see is the market price of bitcoin right now which on your head translates as "OMG YOU LOST MONEHS"

I've been holding BRK.B for some time now, and for a long time I had 'lost money' on that, had I sold I would in fact have lost money. I didn't right now its up, I could sell and make money. I prefer to hold. I think Berkshire can probably put that money to better use than I can. I also held AAPL during the $700 peak. I continued to hold it through the death of jobs, and the supposed failure of the company. Its taken a year (which is actually a pretty short time really) thats 365 days of opportunity to sell at a loss. Here we are right back were we started, at the supposedly untenable high that prompted the sell off. Traders see lines on charts. I see free cash flow through the roof, massive margins, an absolutely staggering cash moat. Zero debt. A company that was turned around by jobs yes, but not so stupid as not to remember the lessons steve taught them. And that dividend....

Anyway. The point is, price is the worst possible indicator of value. There is no chart you can look at to ascertain value. Price is only good for judging sentiment, and as any fool knows the best price corresponds with the worst sentiment. Your fear blinds you to the obvious, your greed cages you from opportunity. You lack reasoning. You lack insight. You lack coherency.

If I am wrong, than anyone with an ounce of reading comprehension and reasoning skills could read what I have posted and see why I though like I did. If you are wrong people will continue to think, as they do know, "what is this guy talking about".

Seriously. Give us better than "omg you will lose money because the price is going down". Treat us to a morsel more insight. I'd love to hear a really rational bear case that doesn't just gloss over everything that is happening right now in bitcoin world.

"A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution" - Satoshi Nakamoto
*my posts are not investment advice*

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ZeroEnergy

Activity: 91
Merit: 10

WINSTARS - We are changing the face of gambling

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 07:54:27 PM

As much as i can afford to lose.

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
WINSTARS -   We are changing the face of gamblingWHITEPAPERANN THREADTELEGRAMFACEBOOK ● Twitter
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
trizma

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2014, 08:22:37 PM

Any spare cash that I have goes into bitcoin regardless of price.

~ long term investor ~
Chris_Sabian
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 02:35:05 AM

Well, since I just bought again, I would say ~$375.
log2exp

Activity: 176
Merit: 114

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 03:25:40 AM

$625/btc few weeks back.
kwukduck
Legendary

Activity: 1937
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 03:25:29 PM

Still putting every free euro i can turn into bitcoin right now. It's a golden opportunity i think.

14b8PdeWLqK3yi3PrNHMmCvSmvDEKEBh3E
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 03:29:04 PM

Buying. right now.

Early adopter. After you are up half a million dollars? Sure. Buy pretty much whatever you want. Buy a bridge maybe

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
inca
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 03:34:13 PM

Buying. right now.

bitcoin is going to nowhere but down lower and lower, buying = lossing, buy more lose more

You're short sighted 'trader' view is becoming increasingly more vapid.

1. If I buy coins today, and then panic sell tomorrow when bitcoin hits $360, then yes I will have 6% less fiat.

2. If I buy coins today, and then panic sell in 4 weeks time when bitcoin hits $200 then I will have 50% less fiat.

3. If I buy coins today, and bitcoin goes KABOOM I will have lost 100% of my fiat invested.

There is *no point* selling BTC for less than what you bought them, I'm not here to increase my fiat by buying BTC cheap and selling them for more, because I don't have some misplaced belief that I am prescient.

I have enough fiat, I have a regular income. My life is satisfactory. So I can say with 100% confidence that #1 and #2 aren't going to happen.

If the third scenario plays out, then sure enough - you were right! What's the likelihood of that happening though? I think we have very different risk profiles in this regard. Yours seems to be based on the strongest of all emotions, the emotion most likely to drive man to insanity, the one that so powerful it cause you to do stupid shit like posting all caps on the internet about how big your e-peen is oblivious to the fact that doing so will not make you rich, get you a girl or save the entire planet.

I will lose and you can point and laugh, and I will carry on making my regular income, having my satisfactory life, confident that I made the right choices at the time given the available information to me. I will reflect on what an interesting experiment bitcoin was and what a fascinating experience I had, and how lucky I was to live through such a phenomenon.

Now to rule out the unmentioned option 4 you are going to have to disregard, millions of people interested in seeing BTC succeed, millions (billions?) of dollars of investment in BTC infrastructure, A global economy that is safe and stable enough that nothing can perturb it and that the human proclivity to advance just ceases.

Option 4 is that bitcoin succeeds. The actual price is irrelevant because dollars/pounds/sheckles are what you convert BTC to locally. Your wealth is measured by what percentage of total BTC you have. It seems this concept is lost on you though, because the only thing you see is the market price of bitcoin right now which on your head translates as "OMG YOU LOST MONEHS"

I've been holding BRK.B for some time now, and for a long time I had 'lost money' on that, had I sold I would in fact have lost money. I didn't right now its up, I could sell and make money. I prefer to hold. I think Berkshire can probably put that money to better use than I can. I also held AAPL during the $700 peak. I continued to hold it through the death of jobs, and the supposed failure of the company. Its taken a year (which is actually a pretty short time really) thats 365 days of opportunity to sell at a loss. Here we are right back were we started, at the supposedly untenable high that prompted the sell off. Traders see lines on charts. I see free cash flow through the roof, massive margins, an absolutely staggering cash moat. Zero debt. A company that was turned around by jobs yes, but not so stupid as not to remember the lessons steve taught them. And that dividend....

Anyway. The point is, price is the worst possible indicator of value. There is no chart you can look at to ascertain value. Price is only good for judging sentiment, and as any fool knows the best price corresponds with the worst sentiment. Your fear blinds you to the obvious, your greed cages you from opportunity. You lack reasoning. You lack insight. You lack coherency.

If I am wrong, than anyone with an ounce of reading comprehension and reasoning skills could read what I have posted and see why I though like I did. If you are wrong people will continue to think, as they do know, "what is this guy talking about".

Seriously. Give us better than "omg you will lose money because the price is going down". Treat us to a morsel more insight. I'd love to hear a really rational bear case that doesn't just gloss over everything that is happening right now in bitcoin world.

Really nice rebuttal. You can tell he is a troll as he will not respond or engage, just spam the fora with the same propaganda.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: