Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 11:28:13 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: what if companies start to make their own coin ?  (Read 1935 times)
noobtrader (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 03:54:54 PM

what if mircrosoft, gorgle, redit, facebok  et al started to make their own coin, would it be good for bitcoin ? no one would call them scam and they have money to influence the LAW...

EDIT : forgot to add...  aplle pay

"...I suspect we need a better incentive for users to run nodes instead of relying solely on altruism...",  satoshi@vistomail.com
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 03:57:17 PM

what if mircrosoft, gorgle, redit, facebok  et al started to make their own coin, would it be good for bitcoin ? no one would call them scam and they have money to influence the LAW...

It might destroy BTC or it might make it the GOLD of crypto I believe it will become.

Seems like this is starting too look like this is a big possibility for current private companies that want to go "public" via blockchain and not stock market.  A neat idea.
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 04:01:49 PM

They'll see little usage and will eventually realize that if they want to explore the benefits that bitcoin brings as a currency/asset, and engage with the bitcoin economy, they should just use bitcoin.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
zeroday
Donator

Activity: 784

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 04:27:01 PM

Corporations will never make decentralized cryptocurrency.
It's the same as imagine that Microsoft makes Windows OS open source.

BillyBobZorton
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 04:42:09 PM

Big CORPS love the dollar, thats why the closest we'll see big corpos going crypto is something like Apple Pay. No big corpo is going to release a trusteable, open source coin. Bitcoin is safe in this regard.
An amorous cow-herder

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 06:32:58 PM

I would even consider the later more likely.
Bitcoin is built around the concept of decentralisation. Remove that concept and the rest stops making sense. Why choose a blockchain instead of a normal rdbms? Why choose pow over authentification?

On the other hand basicly all the mayor corps have their own "currencies", e.g. Amazon coins, Microsoft Points (reward credits now) etc ...
Actually it doesnt even matter if they give them some funny name or just use the normal fiat currency value to show the credit for e.g. Play store/Appstore cards. Its just some numbers in a database (instead of a blockchain).
PolarPoint

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 07:47:13 PM

If they make their own coin, I don't think they can profit much from it. Big corporations would rather spend their resources on something more worthwhile.
BittBurger

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 08:29:07 PM

Explain to me why CHASE bank is going to bother with the Bitcoin Blockchain?

Rather than just fork their own?

The only reason banks are even considering Bitcoin right now is because they don't understand the technology enough yet.   So they're being conservative and considering the "tried and true" version.  As soon as someone there gets wind of the fact that they can easily fork Bitcoin and make their own coin, they will be on that like a fly on shit.  Tell me why they wont?   They care nothing for decentralization, and neither will any of their 80 million customers.  Everyone just wants cheaper financial transactions.  And "blockchain technology" provides that.  With or without Bitcoin.  If anything, CHASE will want to control their own coin, their own crypto network, and add features, customizations, and abilities to it.   What is their incentive to go with a system that is propped up by a bunch of mining farms in rural China?   Are we serious right now?  If anything, mining will be considered a terrible solution when they can just put their own security on their own blockchain, and get *all* the same price benefits of Bitcoin.

Tell me why any bank would ever use Bitcoin, aside from ignorance of how easy it is to make their own?

-B-

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
Odalv
Legendary

Activity: 1414

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 08:40:24 PM

Explain to me why CHASE bank is going to bother with the Bitcoin Blockchain?

Rather than just fork their own?

The only reason banks are even considering Bitcoin right now is because they don't understand the technology enough yet.   So they're being conservative and considering the "tried and true" version.  As soon as someone there gets wind of the fact that they can easily fork Bitcoin and make their own coin, they will be on that like a fly on shit.  Tell me why they wont?   They care nothing for decentralization, and neither will any of their 80 million customers.  Everyone just wants cheaper financial transactions.  And "blockchain technology" provides that.  With or without Bitcoin.  If anything, CHASE will want to control their own coin, their own crypto network, and add features, customizations, and abilities to it.   What is their incentive to go with a system that is propped up by a bunch of mining farms in rural China?   Are we serious right now?  If anything, mining will be considered a terrible solution when they can just put their own security on their own blockchain, and get *all* the same price benefits of Bitcoin.

Tell me why any bank would ever use Bitcoin, aside from ignorance of how easy it is to make their own?

-B-

Not so easy.

If you have bitcoins before blockchain is forked then you have bitcoins in both chains and you can spend in both.
So I'll simply sell my CHASE bitcoins and will buy more original bitcoins. :-)
yokosan

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 08:55:25 PM

The strength in bitcoin is the network and the hashrate that is behind it which was only achieved due to the financial incentives put in place.

No centralized system can compete with it.
XCASH
Legendary

Activity: 929

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 10:10:40 PM

IBM is going to fork ethereum when it's finished.
Chuckee

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 10:22:18 PM

They already do. Go to Disneyland and buy their Mickey Dollars. Yet the world isn't conducting trade in Mickey Bucks. Just like the world isn't conducting trade in bitcoins, litecoins, or flappycoins.

People want a government backed currency, just like they want a politician who will promise to watch their backs and give them stuff. That's the short and long of it, my friend and why bitcoin will never be a major factor in the world economy.
byronbb
Legendary

Activity: 1414

HODL OR DIE

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 11:49:14 PM

The strength in bitcoin is the network and the hashrate that is behind it which was only achieved due to the financial incentives put in place.

This is true, but the concern I have is the powers that be do not want decentralised systems. That said, if google et al release their own coins backed by their stock value bitcoin would very quickly be useful as a trading proxy, and serve as a commodity "safe haven" when stocks were tanking. 

IMZ
Legendary

Activity: 1498

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 12:23:40 AM

Corporations will launch their own coins. They have financial-law experts, computer systems, capital for promotion, R and D departments, and the advertising gurus.

McRonald Money could tie together android people, cryptos, burgers, and discounts for far-flung Mc-Associate products. The advertising material will be 1000% better than that produced by the lacking-in-social-skills denizens of the Net (I mean no disrespect. It's an anthropological fact.)

Consider this perspective: forget 'corporate' coin, just consider the spectrum from 'Centralised' to 'Decentralised':

Centralised: Canada's experimental crypto last year, M-pesa in Africa, Ecuador's forthcoming national crypto, Mexico's discussion of same.

Semi-Centralised: many cryptos -- including one that starts with 'B' -- are clearly de facto semi-centralised. Aurora, Ozziecoin, Ripple

Decentralised: check Unobtanium
OrientA

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 08:54:53 AM

If the company coin is centralized, then BTC will be the gold (centre of exchange) for all those currencies.
Asrael999

Activity: 703
Merit: 502

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 10:07:35 AM

Big CORPS love the dollar, thats why the closest we'll see big corpos going crypto is something like Apple Pay. No big corpo is going to release a trusteable, open source coin. Bitcoin is safe in this regard.

Big Corps love the USD because they have to account in it.
Clegg

Activity: 176
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 10:40:00 AM

True, but I don't think that's going to stop some big companies trying their own coins, but the decentralised nature of bitcoin is the beauty of it.
yitingyou

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 11:12:39 AM

interesting, I'd like to see what will happen
Unbelive

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

Invest & Earn: https://cloudthink.io

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 03:40:06 PM

what if mircrosoft, gorgle, redit, facebok  et al started to make their own coin, would it be good for bitcoin ? no one would call them scam and they have money to influence the LAW...

EDIT : forgot to add...  aplle pay

There are 2000 coins allready, What Bitcoin have is that was first. is huge advantage. If those companies will make coin with something that Bitcoin will never have and they will advertise it nicely, that coin will for sure succeed.

cmacwiz

Activity: 704
Merit: 270

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 04:06:50 PM

I have thought of this before, and some people seem to be missing the idea. A company can start their own crypto to use internally (acounting, billing, paychecks), and even partner with other companies, and use some conglomerate crypto. At the end of the day, they trade out their crypto for btc and what not, but as these corporate conglomerate cryptos grow in value, people can buy it like stock if they want to invest. Furthermore, any store that deals internally with a private crypto accepts their crypto for goods/services. BTC (or something like it) will always be a "gold" to hold and use to trade for other cryptos. How a company sets up their crypto would be interesting. I doubt any CEO's would like to set up a decentralized private crypto, although that would hurt the public's opinion said company (I would hope). 

In 4 years we will see comcastcoin  Grin
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: