Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 01:40:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How to remove the Dust of 1 Satoshi Spam tx  (Read 2341 times)
lnternet (OP)

Activity: 299
Merit: 253

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 05:56:08 PM

The unspent Satoshi are bloating the UTXO, which is bad for the network.

How can I get rid of my confirmed Satoshis?

1ntemetqbXokPSSkuHH4iuAJRTQMP6uJ9

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
9kv

Activity: 145
Merit: 100

Learning

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 06:13:49 PM

Send them to someone else or forget about them. Not much you can do.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2014, 06:17:01 PM

Spend them with other unspend outputs received on the same address in a TX without fee. This might take some time to confirm, but when it does you have a single unspend output.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
PolarPoint

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 07:21:20 PM

Spend them with other unspend outputs received on the same address in a TX without fee. This might take some time to confirm, but when it does you have a single unspend output.

What if the address already had a large number of small unspent outputs? Your suggested TX without fees may never confirm and may place OP's coins in limbo for a long time.

I would add the satoshis to your next transaction fee on top of the 0.0001btc.
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2014, 07:26:22 PM

If I told you what those "specs of dust" will be worth one day, you wouldn't ask such a question.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
RustyNomad

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2014, 07:35:25 PM

If I told you what those "specs of dust" will be worth one day, you wouldn't ask such a question.

Not much. If bitcoin should reach a price of US$50,000 that 1 satoshi will still only be worth US$ 0.0005.

So with a bitcoin price of even US$100,000 per coin that dust will still only be worth around a tenth of a cent.
Beliathon

Activity: 784

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2014, 10:42:45 PM

Not much. If bitcoin should reach a price of US$50,000 that 1 satoshi will still only be worth US$ 0.0005.

So with a bitcoin price of even US$100,000 per coin that dust will still only be worth around a tenth of a cent.

Tell me, oh wise one, when 1 BTC = infinite US dollars, because fiat scrip no longer has any value, how much will one satoshi be worth then? Tough to say, isn't it?

Well, I don't know either, but I can guarantee it will be more than a tenth of a cent.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
lnternet (OP)

Activity: 299
Merit: 253

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 02:15:36 AM

If if 1 Satoshi can buy a house one day I still don't mind throwing away 100 Satoshis today to keep the network healthy.

Spending them with a different tx makes sense.

Can I not just donate them to miners as tx fee? Send 0 somewhere with the 1 satoshi fee?

1ntemetqbXokPSSkuHH4iuAJRTQMP6uJ9
bigasic

Activity: 924

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 02:19:51 AM

Yep, you can either send them to someone else or if they are on an address, you can go over to blockchain.info and sweep the keys to a new address. so, move that one satoshi to another address and then sweep it. sweeping it doesn't cost anything, i believe, but the other part can be a problem..

Screw it, just keep them.
blumangroup

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

'Slow and steady wins the race'

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 04:16:49 AM

What if the address already had a large number of small unspent outputs? Your suggested TX without fees may never confirm and may place OP's coins in limbo for a long time.

I would add the satoshis to your next transaction fee on top of the 0.0001btc.
The suggested TX fee with an extra input worth 1 satashi would actually be larger then the suggested TX fee with one less input.

The best solution would be to create a TX with all out dust/spam TX with no outputs, this would create a TX with nothing but TX fees, which should get confirmed.

cloudthink.io   

Truly Profitable Investment Packages
Custom-Built ASIC Miners ● #1 Self-Sustainable Bitcoin Mining Service in the World ●
kingscrown

Activity: 672

http://fuk.io - check it out!

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2014, 04:23:58 AM

im keeping all those shits.
just for the lulz

maurya78

Activity: 490

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 05:17:06 AM

I just pool the micro inputs and spend them in one transaction which I think solves the problem. Beyond a point though, not much you can do

phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2014, 05:24:45 AM

Peter Todd wrote a Dust-be-gone script that functions similar to Coinjoin transactions.

All the dust is bundled into one large transaction that is paid to the miners.

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2014, 05:33:03 AM

Peter Todd wrote a Dust-be-gone script that functions similar to Coinjoin transactions.

All the dust is bundled into one large transaction that is paid to the miners.

That is good! Have anybody tried? OR you can just sent 1 satoshi to an address and make remaining satoshis as fess. It would clean the dust!

~~MZ~~

deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1025

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2014, 12:28:45 PM

Peter Todd wrote a Dust-be-gone script
That is good! Have anybody tried?
No. Nobody has tried it. Not even Peter. Please be the first and let us know how it went.  Tongue
Thenen

Activity: 226

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 01:38:48 PM

I dont think there is a way cause you would have to pay more transaction fee just to get rid of them..
deepceleron
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2014, 01:42:43 PM

I dont think there is a way cause you would have to pay more transaction fee just to get rid of them..

You think wrong, because the answer is right above your post.
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2014, 02:14:15 PM

You can sent zero-fee transaction. Roll Eyes

No. Nobody has tried it. Not even Peter. Please be the first and let us know how it went.  Tongue

Unfortunately, because of slow internet(Max-110 KB/s , Average-40-60 KB/s), I was forced to delete Bitcoin-qt. So I think another person has to try it first. Why don't you try it? Smiley Be the first! Wink Tongue

~~MZ~~

deepceleron
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2014, 07:11:02 PM

I was joking here because I assumed it must have been tested and be operating as documented, but I recently used the script to broadcast 2 satoshi to the service, and after two weeks they still were not mined. I sent a PM to Peter Todd Oct 5 about the service and the usual time he has seen for inclusions, and got no response even though he has logged in since then. Is there any anecdotal evidence of this working, and if so, when?
BTCmoons

Activity: 173

View Profile
October 19, 2014, 03:15:25 AM

I was joking here because I assumed it must have been tested and be operating as documented, but I recently used the script to broadcast 2 satoshi to the service, and after two weeks they still were not mined. I sent a PM to Peter Todd Oct 5 about the service and the usual time he has seen for inclusions, and got no response even though he has logged in since then. Is there any anecdotal evidence of this working, and if so, when?
Based on what I have read about the script, I would think it was designed for a higher value of dust then just two satoshis. It was written at a time when dust was much more of a problem as bitcoin was worth much less so it would be much more efficient to send large amounts of dust to many addresses. I also believe that you must spend entire inputs with the script, not just part of an input in order for it to work properly, so unless you have inputs totaling two satoshi it would not work (as per my understanding).

This would also not solve the OP's problem of the dust transactions "spamming" the blockchain as it would not actually remove the TX from the blockchain but rather would remove them from you wallet/address
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: