Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 12:09:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Warning to Bitcoiners  (Read 1967 times)
hedgy73
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1077

View Profile
October 15, 2014, 12:56:21 PM

As I see it, I leave my pc running 24/7, and it may as well be doing more than one thing when I go to sleep..

Yeah why not don't blame you Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Decksperiment (OP)

Activity: 630
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 15, 2014, 01:53:07 PM
Last edit: October 15, 2014, 02:03:51 PM by Decksperiment

As I said, it just wont sync.. comes back from lunch, bitcoinapp not running when it should be.

Log:

2014-10-15 12:00:38 ProcessBlock: ACCEPTED
2014-10-15 12:00:38 socket recv error An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.  (10054)

This is preventing me syncing, but what I cant understand, is what or why the app is terminated, I'd love to know why it terminates.. even if its toiling to sync, it should remain active no?

Edit: Would'nt the remote host be virgin?
SBradford

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 15, 2014, 02:04:47 PM

This is not an error due to ISP interference, it could be any system error. 
vm1990
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 15, 2014, 02:10:53 PM

1. Virgin Media are by far THE worst ISP you can be with. the way there lines work you loose most of your speed during the day due to a very very over sold network.
2. Bitcoin should remain active even if theres no connection at all so theres a problem on your side if its terminating
3. most ISP's now throttle P2P connections and there software does not reconise the diffrence between Torrents or Bitcoin as they both use the same protocol
4. to bypass ISP throttle there are a few solutions
    4.1 invest a small amount in a VPN service such as PIA (private internet access) this encrypts traffic so ISP's dont know what it is being sent or received meaning
         your connection should be unthrottled
    4.2 let Bitcoin sync at night alot of ISP's use traffic management to keep the network fair for all during peak times so off peak normally considered 9pm to 6am is
         a better time to download
    4.3 find a free wifi zone to use. these usually are business grade connections and bypass alot of censorship and restrictions including P2P

normally an app terminates because its run into Ram or CPU issues over a period of time, the O.S will the force the program or app to close to save itself from more issues arising the is very clear on most O.s's    

Decksperiment (OP)

View Profile
October 15, 2014, 02:11:39 PM

Dunno likes, I mean, I'm not the remote host, so the next suspect would be virgin followed by the blockchain.

Please stop telling me that it's a systems error, my pc is old but fine, and with a fresh format and nowt installed, (for testing purpose's) and I never had problems previous to the last 3 versions of bitcoin

So it's either Bitcoin app, virgin, or blockchain, take your pick, I'm claiming virgin, in that they are blocking p2p traffic, nothing else.
vm1990
Legendary

View Profile
October 15, 2014, 02:13:53 PM

As I said, it just wont sync.. comes back from lunch, bitcoinapp not running when it should be.

Log:

2014-10-15 12:00:38 ProcessBlock: ACCEPTED
2014-10-15 12:00:38 socket recv error An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.  (10054)

This is preventing me syncing, but what I cant understand, is what or why the app is terminated, I'd love to know why it terminates.. even if its toiling to sync, it should remain active no?

Edit: Would'nt the remote host be virgin?

no the host is not virgin it is normally a program on the PC thats not the same program ordering the program to close

e.g windows forcing bitcoin to close classes as a remote host closing bitcoin

Decksperiment (OP)

View Profile
October 15, 2014, 02:15:31 PM

1. Virgin Media are by far THE worst ISP you can be with. the way there lines work you loose most of your speed during the day due to a very very over sold network.
2. Bitcoin should remain active even if theres no connection at all so theres a problem on your side if its terminating
3. most ISP's now throttle P2P connections and there software does not reconise the diffrence between Torrents or Bitcoin as they both use the same protocol
4. to bypass ISP throttle there are a few solutions
    4.1 invest a small amount in a VPN service such as PIA (private internet access) this encrypts traffic so ISP's dont know what it is being sent or received meaning
         your connection should be unthrottled
    4.2 let Bitcoin sync at night alot of ISP's use traffic management to keep the network fair for all during peak times so off peak normally considered 9pm to 6am is
         a better time to download
    4.3 find a free wifi zone to use. these usually are business grade connections and bypass alot of censorship and restrictions including P2P

normally an app terminates because its run into Ram or CPU issues over a period of time, the O.S will the force the program or app to close to save itself from more issues arising the is very clear on most O.s's    

I've kinda already stated most of what you said, but the app crashes as soon as the socket received error kicks in, which is from a remote host, not this end. I agree the app should not terminate, especially with a fresh system, so it occured to me that they may not just be throttling p2p, but sending some sig kill/terminate to the 'offending' app that wont show, since it would be sent via snmp.
vm1990
Legendary

View Profile
October 15, 2014, 02:18:15 PM

Dunno likes, I mean, I'm not the remote host, so the next suspect would be virgin followed by the blockchain.

Please stop telling me that it's a systems error, my pc is old but fine, and with a fresh format and nowt installed, (for testing purpose's) and I never had problems previous to the last 3 versions of bitcoin

So it's either Bitcoin app, virgin, or blockchain, take your pick, I'm claiming virgin, in that they are blocking p2p traffic, nothing else.

its not virgin. its unlikely to be the blockchain as you cant sync so its either a bad install of bitcoin which would easily be solved with a fresh reinstall of bitcoin simply back up you wallet go to C:\Program Files\Bitcoin delete all the contents and reinstall this will the be a fresh install

if this dosnt work then somethings wrong with either the windows O.S or your network.

Decksperiment (OP)

View Profile
October 15, 2014, 02:25:35 PM

its not virgin. its unlikely to be the blockchain as you cant sync so its either a bad install of bitcoin which would easily be solved with a fresh reinstall of bitcoin simply back up you wallet go to C:\Program Files\Bitcoin delete all the contents and reinstall this will the be a fresh install

if this dosnt work then somethings wrong with either the windows O.S or your network.

At last your getting the hint: Network.

vm1990
Legendary

View Profile
October 15, 2014, 02:39:07 PM

not virgins network YOUR Network

my only other suggestion is to try this
go to
C:\Users\Windows 7\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin
and replace Peer.dat wih this one
http://bloginhell.me/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/New-WinRAR-ZIP-archive.zip
take the peer.dat file out of the zip and place it where the old one was
theres a small chance this will help but its all i can recommend right now

Decksperiment (OP)

View Profile
October 16, 2014, 02:05:10 PM

not virgins network YOUR Network

my only other suggestion is to try this
go to
C:\Users\Windows 7\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin
and replace Peer.dat wih this one
http://bloginhell.me/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/New-WinRAR-ZIP-archive.zip
take the peer.dat file out of the zip and place it where the old one was
theres a small chance this will help but its all i can recommend right now

Virgins network mate, I know docsis for sure, and see sig_kill in modem Wink
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print