Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 10:43:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Do bank office buildings use more energy than an ASIC miner?  (Read 1127 times)
Impudent1 (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 02:56:15 PM

I'm just curious how many financial offices there are in the world and how much energy they use compared to ASIC miners?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 03:15:36 PM

That's an interesting question. Here in the Philippines there are tens of thousands of financial employees to serve over 100 million people. Each person consumes at least as much energy as an ASIC during their working life. They run air conditioning, drive cars, and use computers. We don't have as many of the big fancy lobbies and conference rooms that rich countries have. I would guess that just the Philippine financial offices use more energy than all the Bitcoin miners in the world combined.

It's really a crime that banks are allowed to destroy the environment this way. Wouldn't it be nice if they could tear down big financial office buildings and create parks and wildlife refuges instead?

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
JohnnyBTC

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 03:30:58 PM

I'm just curious how many financial offices there are in the world and how much energy they use compared to ASIC miners?

we're not even close yet but if Bitcoin keeps going for another few years I would think it would be
Bobblehead Pete

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 03:36:21 PM

we're not even close yet but if Bitcoin keeps going for another few years I would think it would be

Agreed to that.. Bitcoin will be there. It will not close.. It will stay..
chennan
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1004

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 03:43:25 PM

Yes, I think so. But you can't ignore the significant role the bank bring to us in the daily life. Can you imagine our daily life withou bank at the moment? I think it is terrible.

cdog

Activity: 1036
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 04:05:05 PM

Yes, I think so. But you can't ignore the significant role the bank bring to us in the daily life. Can you imagine our daily life withou bank at the moment? I think it is terrible.

lol, what?

Yeah, banks are really great, rah rah lets go rapists! Rape us! Rape us! Rape us! (crowd chanting)

Open your eyes dude, take off the goggles:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fractional_reserve_banking

Or if words and numbers arent friendly to you, try this video version (28,730 likes, 826 dislikes!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFDe5kUUyT0
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 06:02:15 PM

lol, what?

Yeah, banks are really great, rah rah lets go rapists! Rape us! Rape us! Rape us! (crowd chanting)

Open your eyes dude, take off the goggles:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fractional_reserve_banking

Or if words and numbers arent friendly to you, try this video version (28,730 likes, 826 dislikes!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFDe5kUUyT0
+1

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
cdog

Activity: 1036

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 06:07:53 PM

Xposted from similar topic, mods please delete/merge threads/posts as necessary

Every new generation of ASIC is vastly more power efficient. Can the same be said for every bank branch or finance employee?

Bitcoin enables efficiency gains orders of magnitude above printing, distributing, and then finally destroying billions of notes of paper currency.

This is just STEP 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaBapDvfwFw

During Fiscal Year (FY) 2013, the Bureau of Engraving and Printing delivered approximately 26 million notes a day with a face value of approximately $1.3 billion.

During Fiscal Year (FY) 2013, the Bureau of Engraving and Printing delivered approximately 6.6 billion notes at an average cost of 10 cents per note.

Over 90 percent of the notes that the BEP delivers each year are used to replace notes already in, or taken out of circulation.

Between the Fort Worth, Texas and the Washington, DC facilities, approximately 9.6 tons of ink per day were used during FY 2013.

http://www.moneyfactory.gov/uscurrency/annualproductionfigures.html
allthingsluxury
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2014, 06:30:19 PM

haha, nicely put.  Cheesy

MichaelBliss

Activity: 526

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 06:34:34 PM

If you're comparing the energy used for Bitcoin to that of the main stream system, it's more than just the energy to build, then run a bank.   You need to consider all sorts of things like the energy of printing the cash, energy to drive it around in armoured cars from place to place, fill atm's etc.  When you add it it up, there is no comparison really.  Bitcoin is far more efficient than banks.
subcoin

Activity: 100

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 06:36:19 PM

Not a fan of banks. But you will have to agree that banks do a lot more than money transfers.
It would be more accurate to compare Bitcoin to Western Union locations...
Eotnak

Activity: 117

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 06:56:43 PM

I think you have to have a loose grasp on many concepts to even ask this question.

Do Post Offices use more energy than an email server?  Do bicycle messengers sweat more than fax machines?
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 02:30:46 AM

I think you have to have a loose grasp on many concepts to even ask this question.

Do Post Offices use more energy than an email server?  Do bicycle messengers sweat more than fax machines?

In the USA, Post Offices are being closed in favor of parcel services. Many towns don't have them anymore. Besides, you can't email Grandma's cookies, but you can email and sign a contract. I didn't know bicycle messengers could deliver messages overseas, or was that a strawman?

Not a fan of banks. But you will have to agree that banks do a lot more than money transfers.
Banks don't do anything that can't be done by a machine.

toleng

Activity: 261
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 03:04:30 AM

I believe that in terms of electric cost to secure each dollar equivalent, bitcoin is more efficient (measured by market cap of bitcoin verses the amount of cash on deposit at banks). Banks need to secure both their physical cash and their electronic records, both of which take up a lot of electricity and resources.

You also forgot to ask about the credit card companies and interbank systems. Without credit cards banks would be much less efficient in clearing payments so this cost should be included as the total electric use as well.
Eotnak

Activity: 117

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 01:38:14 PM

In the USA, Post Offices are being closed in favor of parcel services. Many towns don't have them anymore. Besides, you can't email Grandma's cookies, but you can email and sign a contract. I didn't know bicycle messengers could deliver messages overseas, or was that a strawman?

Agreed.  Thank you for reiterating my point!
a447513372

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

DLISK - Next Generation Coin

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 05:04:29 AM

Post offices almost certainly use many time the energy (and cost even more to operate) then email servers. If you are looking to reduce our overall energy footprint it would probably be best to close many/most post offices in favor of using email more and using reduced post office 'foot print' in favor of shipping parcels (packages)

[/quote]To make an accurate comparison you would need to measure the amount held by banks, the amount transferred by banks, the amount transferred by places like WU, and the total energy consumption of all banks and MSBs like WU. You would then compare the amounts transacted with bitcoin (actual economical transactions) and the market cap of bitcoin with the energy consumption of ASICs and the energy consumption required to keep private keys safe 

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
           ▄▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄
       ▄▄█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████▄▄
     ▄████▀ ▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄ ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀ ▄▄▀▀      ████  ▀▀▄▄ ▀▀███▄
  ████ ▄███████████████      ▀█  ████
 ███▀ ▄██████████████████      █  ▀███
▄███            ████ ████      ▀█ ███▄
███ ▄█           ████  ████      █▄ ███
███            ████   ████       █ ███
███ ▀█          ████  ████       █▀ ███
▀▀▀▀           █████████       ▄█ ███▀
 ██████████████████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀ ▄███
  ██████████████████████████████████
    ▄▄▄▄  ▀▄▄       ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀████▀
     ▀████▄ ▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀ ▄████▀
       ▀▀██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
           ▀▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀▀

████                ▄████
    ████████████████                ████   ▄▄███████████████          ▄█████▀
   ██████████████████               ██▀▀ ██████████████████        ▄█████▀
             ▀████████             ███ ████▀                    ▄█████▀
             ▄█████████            ██▀ ███▀                  ▄█████▀
             ████ ▀████           ███ ████▄               ▄█████▀
             ████  ████           ███▄ ██████████████▀ ▄█████▀
            ████  ▄████           ████  ▀████████████▄ ▀█████▄
            ████ ▄████           ████               ▀██▄  █████▄
            ████████▀            ████               ▄████   █████▄
           ███████▀            ███▀              ▄█████▀     █████▄
 ██████████████████████████████ ███ ▄█████████████████▀         █████▄
█████████████▀▀▀██████████████ ▄██ ▄████████████████▀             █████▄

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 05:26:36 AM

To make an accurate comparison you would need to measure the amount held by banks, the amount transferred by banks, the amount transferred by places like WU, and the total energy consumption of all banks and MSBs like WU. You would then compare the amounts transacted with bitcoin (actual economical transactions) and the market cap of bitcoin with the energy consumption of ASICs and the energy consumption required to keep private keys safe 
Those numbers have been roughly extrapolated. It will need to grow by a few orders of magnitude, but not much more. I think the OP was a little simplistic in comparing a person to an ASIC. It's not like anyone would ever replace a human job with a machine. While it's possible that Bitcoin's currency status will falter because fees get too high, Bitcoin metacoins will easily handle all electronic global transactions with machine precision and be fully automated. Bitcoin itself will not need to grow infinitely because local off blockchain servers and sidechains will mitigate tasking Bitcoin miners with trivial purchases.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: