Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 01:31:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Classified Ads on Ebay for Bitcoins  (Read 1117 times)
gbg_987 (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 06:40:14 PM

Hello All,

I am new to the forum. Used to sell my bitcoins on ebay and quickly found out that a buyer could screw you over easy. Now I find that there are only classified ads on ebay and wondered if the policy changed for those? There is a guy who had an ad for bitcoins significantly lower than market value and would sell them to me through paypal. Thought I could buy them and sell them on coinbase. However, I would like to know if there are no safeguards as a buyer in the classifed ad thing

Thanks
Brian

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
pawel7777
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 1562

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2014, 09:16:02 PM

Hi Brian,

Yes, ebay changed listing rules some time ago, they've created separate sub-category for cryptocurrency, but you can only list them as classified ads.

There is a guy who had an ad for bitcoins significantly lower than market value and would sell them to me through paypal. Thought I could buy them and sell them on coinbase. However, I would like to know if there are no safeguards as a buyer in the classifed ad thing

That doesn't make sense, why would anyone sell below market value? Unless he only got small amount of BTC and it's not worth his time to sign up to coinbase/bitstamp etc.

My guess is he's trying to scam you into sending him money as a 'gift payment', so if he doesn't send you BTC, you cannot start a dispute, the only way for you to get your money back afaik would be lying to paypal that your account has been hacked etc

I'd steer clear of it. But if you decide to buy, do it in a small tranches.

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.
Itsumo

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

Play Rock Paper Scissor Lizard Spock

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 05:14:21 AM

Hi Brian,

Yes, ebay changed listing rules some time ago, they've created separate sub-category for cryptocurrency, but you can only list them as classified ads.

There is a guy who had an ad for bitcoins significantly lower than market value and would sell them to me through paypal. Thought I could buy them and sell them on coinbase. However, I would like to know if there are no safeguards as a buyer in the classifed ad thing

That doesn't make sense, why would anyone sell below market value? Unless he only got small amount of BTC and it's not worth his time to sign up to coinbase/bitstamp etc.

My guess is he's trying to scam you into sending him money as a 'gift payment', so if he doesn't send you BTC, you cannot start a dispute, the only way for you to get your money back afaik would be lying to paypal that your account has been hacked etc

I'd steer clear of it. But if you decide to buy, do it in a small tranches.

Hello All,

I am new to the forum. Used to sell my bitcoins on ebay and quickly found out that a buyer could screw you over easy. Now I find that there are only classified ads on ebay and wondered if the policy changed for those? There is a guy who had an ad for bitcoins significantly lower than market value and would sell them to me through paypal. Thought I could buy them and sell them on coinbase. However, I would like to know if there are no safeguards as a buyer in the classifed ad thing

Thanks
Brian

Great information you got here sir.. You have to make a different thread out of this.
gbg_987 (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 07:23:51 PM

Well he sent me an invoice, and it he put that it was for BTC in the description. Also the invoice was for goods and not a gift to friends or family.
pawel7777
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 1562

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2014, 07:29:36 PM

Well he sent me an invoice, and it he put that it was for BTC in the description. Also the invoice was for goods and not a gift to friends or family.

Sounds like he's taking all the risk. If he doesn't send BTC, you should be able to claim the money back from paypal.

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀