Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 09:27:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bill Gates on bitcoin technology  (Read 2587 times)
mbaeichapareiko (OP)

Activity: 101
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 11:20:47 PM

https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/bill-gates-bitcoin-technology-key/

Cheesy
gogxmagog
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1010

Ad maiora!

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 11:38:15 PM

He is very careful to mention that he doesn't think BTC will be the one. More and more I get the feeling that btc is the experiment. They will watch it and learn as it fails, then make a crypto that fixes everything that is wrong and copies everything that works, put their billions into marketing and infrastructure (or hop on btc's existing infrastructure) and go from there. Like he says - most don't care about anonymity, they want security and convenience.

Not good news for btc imo
ticoti

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 12:15:43 AM

Does someone think he owns bitcoins?
I don't know but he looks to be interested in it,but not so as to own
anyway, he says that it is cheap,and he is a really clever man  Cheesy
remotemass
Legendary

Activity: 1119
Merit: 1017

ASMR El Salvador

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2014, 12:41:08 AM

It would be great if Bill Gates invested some millions in creating great books about bitcoin, making such a big white elephant enriching us all.
He loves books in large amounts and fancies a lot things like e-learning platforms like treehouse and so.
So it is not a far-fetched idea. He is all for knowledge and it seems he sees potential in bitcoin.
And the foundations of bitcoin still need a lot of teaching, good documentation and stuff. This would make it much more likely it gets better and more widespread at its core.

{ Imagine a sequence of bits generated from the first decimal place of the square roots of whole integers that are irrational numbers. If the decimal falls between 0 and 5, it's considered bit 0, and if it falls between 5 and 10, it's considered bit 1. This sequence from a simple integer count of contiguous irrationals and their logical decimal expansion of the first decimal place is called the 'main irrational stream.' Our goal is to design a physical and optical computing system system that can detect when this stream starts matching a specific pattern of a given size of bits. bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=166760.0 } Satoshi did use a friend class in C++ and put a comment on the code saying: "This is why people hate C++".
seriouscoin

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 12:56:53 AM

At this day and age, ppl still think Bill Gates is some genius ?

I mean dont they at least read a book or two about him? Innovation has never been his strong suit. Hes smart in stealing technology and using monopoly to stop every competitors.

Same with Facebook, it was never Mark's idea. Had the Cameron twins knocked it down within 20 days of being online with lawyers and all lawsuits, Mark would never be an billionaire asshole today.
InfiniteState

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 01:09:13 AM

It's very unlikely he owns any BTC as an investment.  For the last 20 years, his wealth is managed by Michael Larson:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/business_insider/2014/09/20/bill_gates_investment_manager_michael_larson_runs_cascade_investment_llc.html

"Melinda and I are free to pursue our vision of a healthier and better-educated world because of what Michael has done," Gates told guests at the party.
toleng

Activity: 261
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 01:30:53 AM

Does someone think he owns bitcoins?
I don't know but he looks to be interested in it,but not so as to own
anyway, he says that it is cheap,and he is a really clever man  Cheesy
I would doubt that he owns any bitcon as an investment as he would need to own too many bitcoin for it to make up any portion of his net worth for the return on his investment to have any meaningful affect on his overall investments.

I would think that he is more interested in the technology and how he can leverage bitcoin to profit off of it (likely by providing some kind of service related to bitcoin)
Farisr9k

Activity: 32

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 03:18:16 AM

He is a genius. If he involve on Bitcoin that means he is going to make million of dollars from BTC.
seriouscoin

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 03:55:04 AM

He is a genius. If he involve on Bitcoin that means he is going to make million of dollars from BTC.

No dumb fck, if hes involved with Bitcoin, that means he will copy it and release his own coin then use his money to kill every single Bitcoin business.

Didnt you ever learn shit about Bills?
Itsumo

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

Play Rock Paper Scissor Lizard Spock

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 04:57:32 AM

No dumb fck, if hes involved with Bitcoin, that means he will copy it and release his own coin then use his money to kill every single Bitcoin business.

Didnt you ever learn shit about Bills?

OKaaaay, and then bitcointalk guys fights over this again. These billionaire geeks doesnt want to fight with each other... They want to make money with each other!!
zimmah
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 05:32:59 AM

He is very careful to mention that he doesn't think BTC will be the one. More and more I get the feeling that btc is the experiment. They will watch it and learn as it fails, then make a crypto that fixes everything that is wrong and copies everything that works, put their billions into marketing and infrastructure (or hop on btc's existing infrastructure) and go from there. Like he says - most don't care about anonymity, they want security and convenience.

What's the point investing millions in making an altcoin that does what bitcoin already does?

The last thing we need is another altcoin.

Especially a centralized one.
JohnnyBTC

Activity: 57

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 06:07:22 AM

maybe he means copying an altcoin that is also decentralized.  there are a lot of things about bitcoin that could be fixed.  i dont think it costed satoshi millions to start up bitcoin.
CtrlAltBernanke420

Activity: 350

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 06:12:00 AM

He probably bought 100 million dollars at mt gox. watched them crash and still smiled then bought 100million more elsewhere... Oh you mean it went up a X 10... Fine call it 1 billion to the current sellers.

Still on top... and could be an easy contender for buying a billion dollar bitcoin....
bornil267645

Activity: 406

AltoCenter.com

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2014, 06:18:20 AM

When bill Gates invested on Microsoft it was the first of its kind... Bitcoin is also the first of its kind... but you don't see Mr gates investing on BTC.
.do you?

Makes me wonder, is this really a big conspiracy...?

CtrlAltBernanke420

Activity: 350

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 06:29:19 AM

When bill Gates invested on Microsoft it was the first of its kind... Bitcoin is also the first of its kind... but you don't see Mr gates investing on BTC.
.do you?

Are you saying bill gates is satoshi?
Anarchyman99

Activity: 3

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2014, 06:33:49 AM

First thought: Man he looks old these days.

But I agree with him, it's hard not to.
JohnnyBTC

Activity: 57

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 06:43:37 AM

.do you?

Are you saying bill gates is satoshi?

no, steve jobs is.   Cool
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2014, 07:11:47 AM

first i think, most people dont know about bitcoin and they dont care about ML or terrorism.
the beauty of bitcoin is, you will have full transparent deals because alot of people dont care about privacy and you will have people who are hard to trace (dark wallet etc). so we dont need a new system. its all there.

BitCoinNutJob
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 08:05:27 AM

Bitcoin doesnt care about bill gates.  This is just 1 guy's opinion like peter schiff or mark cuban.   We have other guys like richard branson saying things like "bitcoin is working" and "bitcoin is here to stay"
toknormal
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1188

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 08:15:40 AM
Last edit: October 03, 2014, 10:07:00 AM by toknormal

Actually, bollocks. Neither you nor Bill Gates have a clue what your talking about.

For a start, Bitcoin is not a centralised money issuer, so who is "they" in the phrase "They will watch it and learn as it fails" ? There is no "they" other than the flotilla of alt coins that has emerged and consistently failed to get anywhere near Bitcoin's market cap. Not a single one of them has made the merest dent - apart from maybe Litecoin which for a few weeks managed to reach a paultry 5-10% before falling back into oblivion.

Secondly - hashrate. The bitcoin network hashing power is now measured in "Peta" hashes. That is a phenomenal amount of network power that dwarfs everything else into insignificance. That kind of network power doesn't appear overnight. JP Morgan, Goldman, Microsoft, the NSA could spend as much money as they like and never get near that hashrate and level of redundancy. What that means for holders is **security**.

Thirdly - network effect. It takes years for the kind of infrastructure that Bitcoin has (and is evolving) to be built up. Just looks at the latest Circle offering for example. For an enterprise like that to get off the ground takes years of evolution. No VC is going to go near a digital currency that hasn't proven itself. Bitcoin has been Hacked, Goxed, "China"d, "Malliability"'d and generally kicked to death in the press and emerged from all of that without a scratch. You can't spend your way into that kind of confidence. After 6 years it's now having a ton of investment ploughed into it and we've yet to see the half of that start to bear fruit.

Fourthly - institutions. It takes 1-2 years for an ETF to make its way through the regulators red tape. Towards the end of this year we're going to start to see the first major vehicle for institutional investment in Bitcoin. That will be a game changer and probably the final nail in the coffin for any potential contenders.

Make no mistake, alternatives had their chance and didn't even get near - Bitcoin is simply too far down the line already for any turning back. Whatever technology enhancements are needed from now on will be applied to Bitcoin itself rather than starting from scratch.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: