Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 08:51:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Do miners raise my internet ping? (online gamer thing)  (Read 1729 times)
droizs (OP)

Activity: 151
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 01:58:14 AM

Hi!

I will invest in 5 antminer S3 in a near future and i'm a gamer too.I mostly play games like cs:go, lol, bf4 etc...
My question is, will 5 antminers S3 raise my ping/latency when i'll be playing online games?
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 02:27:13 AM

The miners are not bandwidth intensive as a general rule.  Assuming you have a decent broadband connection you will not have any problem.

There are many out there with that many and more running fine.  Just have proper power supplies, and electricity you should be fine.
evansearle42

Activity: 366
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 03:34:54 AM

Hi!

I will invest in 5 antminer S3 in a near future and i'm a gamer too.I mostly play games like cs:go, lol, bf4 etc...
My question is, will 5 antminers S3 raise my ping/latency when i'll be playing online games?

I dont think so but if you don't have a good modem you might have some problem like modem hang and so on..
Bobblehead Pete

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 03:52:11 AM

Hi!

I think so yes.. Some of these miners might have been practicing their craft on some games.
newflesh

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 08:24:02 AM

Hi!

Wouldn't have thought so, you could always do a test by checking your ping while the miners are online and then turning them off to see if it affects the latency it in any way.
Unbelive

Activity: 210

Invest & Earn: https://cloudthink.io

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 11:58:37 AM

I think ping is just how far you are to some server and how good lines are between you and them.

notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 01:07:42 PM

Looks like it is mixed one yes.  As someone currently doing this I can say no.  This is assuming you have a decent broadband.

But just make sure you have the electricity capacity, cooling, and proper PSU's.
DigiTanner

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 02:03:10 PM

Hey,

So it depends on a couple of things:

1. Bandwidth/ the capacity of your internet.

2. The game you're playing, "LoL" requires little to no bandwidth whereas "WoW" would require quite a bit.

Also, the miners don't really use that much so you should be okay as long as your system is up to par.

-T
chanz

Activity: 298

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 02:27:41 PM

Install DU Meter it's a bandwidth monitor software to monitor it and check the difference while playing games.
But i don't think miners take that much bandwidth just to send and receive packets.

My BTC address : 1KfS1c14Tg2hgQEVz2bCJeFox6FpyYFvM6
ajw7989
Legendary

Activity: 924

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 11:09:19 PM

I noticed if you run the miners on wifi it does affect your ping. I pay for upgraded internet and I get close to 100mbps dl and 50mbps up. When I run my one miner on wifi I notice I have to reboot my router to clear the cache every week or two since it starts to slow down. WHen I used to run it on an ethernet it was much less of a problem.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 01:35:38 AM

I noticed if you run the miners on wifi it does affect your ping. I pay for upgraded internet and I get close to 100mbps dl and 50mbps up. When I run my one miner on wifi I notice I have to reboot my router to clear the cache every week or two since it starts to slow down. WHen I used to run it on an ethernet it was much less of a problem.

Wired is ofcourse best.  The wifi really is dependent of your router.  There are many different qualities of routers out there.   If one miner of wifi clogs up your router i would look into router firmware upgrade unless its very old.
jjc326

Activity: 700

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 01:51:26 AM

Yeah I'd think just from a common sense perspective it would slow down your gaming.  Either your connection online or your hardware performance.  If it was an intensive game like counterstrike (do people still play that?) I'd think you'd be at a disadvantage.
ajw7989
Legendary

Activity: 924

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 02:35:53 AM

Wired is ofcourse best.  The wifi really is dependent of your router.  There are many different qualities of routers out there.   If one miner of wifi clogs up your router i would look into router firmware upgrade unless its very old.

My router is a belkin but I of course have tomatousb with all the bells and whistles on it. Its an n router and pretty good but of course not a 100+ router. Keep in mind when I say slow down its for when I play internet intensive games or streaming hd videos. Browsing the web or doing basic tasks is not affected. I was able to remedy most of this though by setting the difficulty on the pool high.
BeginToMine

Activity: 434
Merit: 101

https://www.payaccept.net/

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 06:57:45 AM

It may affect ping a little, ofcorse if you have a good connection, it will not affect you much.

FlyForFun

Activity: 243

View Profile
October 06, 2014, 12:42:52 AM

It didn't effect the ping at all for my case. But it seems to cause my modem to hang more often...

jimmy01

Activity: 106
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 06, 2014, 04:33:05 AM

Hi!

I don't think so, but I think not. It really depends on your connection or modem.
mufa23
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

I'd fight Gandhi.

View Profile
October 06, 2014, 04:37:30 AM

No, It won't raise it. It'll use a few KB/s at most. You'll run flawless with a 1Mbps or better connection. It'll use like 1% of your bandwidth. You won't notice it.

Positive rep with: pekv2, AzN1337c0d3r, Vince Torres, underworld07, Chimsley, omegaaf, Bogart, Gleason, SuperTramp, John K. and guitarplinker
Bitzkrieg

Activity: 150

------bitcoiner@heart.email

View Profile
October 06, 2014, 12:28:07 PM

Wont affect your PING I think.. Why do you say that?

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\◥◣◢◤////////////////////
❖ Win88.me ❖ Fair, Trusted Online BTC Gambling ❖
////////////////////◢◤◥◣\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
FUR11

Activity: 378

FURring bitcoin up since 1762

View Profile
October 06, 2014, 01:22:13 PM

Depends on how you mine. If you're mining Bitcoin on on a pool, make sure you're set the target difficulty in a way that you miners don't find a block every second or so (maybe every 10 seconds). That way they're not constantly submitting solutions, and thus clogging your connection.

BunsenBurner

Activity: 653

View Profile
October 06, 2014, 09:59:48 PM

Depends on how you mine. If you're mining Bitcoin on on a pool, make sure you're set the target difficulty in a way that you miners don't find a block every second or so (maybe every 10 seconds). That way they're not constantly submitting solutions, and thus clogging your connection.

I believe you meant a "share" there instead of a "block". I don't think any miner would mind clogging the network if they can get a block every 10 seconds lol. Tongue

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: