Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:00:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Spondoolies Question  (Read 2222 times)
youngwallst (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 06:45:47 PM

I've been mining for about 2 years now and after receiving my last 40 TH from KnC and hearing they will not be shipping anymore to retail customers, I am curious where I will find a reliable ASIC firm to continue expansion. I ordered from Cointerra once before and had a HORRIBLE experience, many users on Reddit and Twitter reported the same hardware problems (promised minimum 2 TH but lucky to get 1.6 aside from overheating issues) and lack of support from the team. Obviously I'm quite skeptical about their revamped "team" and products. Been doing a bunch of research on Spondoolies and wanted to know if anyone has ordered from them in the past and if so how was the customer service, hash rate (vis-a-vis projected hash rate) and power consumption over a 24 hour period? Thanks in advance!! Grin

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
wh00per

Activity: 571
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 07:29:35 PM

I've been mining for about 2 years now and after receiving my last 40 TH from KnC and hearing they will not be shipping anymore to retail customers, I am curious where I will find a reliable ASIC firm to continue expansion. I ordered from Cointerra once before and had a HORRIBLE experience, many users on Reddit and Twitter reported the same hardware problems (promised minimum 2 TH but lucky to get 1.6 aside from overheating issues) and lack of support from the team. Obviously I'm quite skeptical about their revamped "team" and products. Been doing a bunch of research on Spondoolies and wanted to know if anyone has ordered from them in the past and if so how was the customer service, hash rate (vis-a-vis projected hash rate) and power consumption over a 24 hour period? Thanks in advance!! Grin

Have a light weekend reading .. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=521520.0

CSA/cUL Certified Power Distribution Panels - Basic, Switched, Metered. 1-3 phases. Up to 600V. NMC:N4F9qvHz11BHcc4nh1LCJFsrZhA1EWgVwj
RoadStress
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 07:50:09 PM

Server grade units, best customer support, top notch quality overall!

youngwallst (OP)

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 08:21:26 PM

Have a light weekend reading .. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=521520.0

actually read thru alot of that thread the other day but didnt finish, will def take a more detailed look, thank you!
dropt
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 08:45:50 PM

Coins are at $360, tell me, why on earth are you considering buying more hardware when it'd be a better use of your funds to just purchase BTC instead of mining?

That said, AM's prisma devices.  They aren't really rack friendly, but you're not going to beat their pricing anywhere.
youngwallst (OP)

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 09:02:10 PM

Coins are at $360, tell me, why on earth are you considering buying more hardware when it'd be a better use of your funds to just purchase BTC instead of mining?

That said, AM's prisma devices.  They aren't really rack friendly, but you're not going to beat their pricing anywhere.

Well, currently just getting some feedback so if I did want to expand, I had a vetted review of this firm from community members (or at least an alternative to this firm if the reviews came in bad). Trust me, I see your point and may sound crazy for wanting to expand with price oscillating sub 500 for a while now & been thinking of just dumping whatever I would have spent into buying coin, but I don't know if I really want to do that.. Worked pretty hard to get near 100 TH thus far, so its not like we are starting from scratch or anything and I do believe in doing my part to secure the network. I have a data center that I already house miners at so it wouldn't be much of a hassle (except the added electric cost) to get them somewhere secure and temp controlled.  I will def look into the miners you have recommended and appreciate your feedback!
nexxypoo

Activity: 13

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 09:09:07 PM

Products are excellent. I have 3x SP30s. Whatever they say or you hear, assume any pre-order will be shipped on the last day of the month, at 11:55pm lol (my last 2 were hosted at SPTech facility and were STILL online 2 days after the deadline... but meh what do you do?).
Cust service could be a little less condescending at times, but its there and you get supported.
I recommend SPTech

neX:)
youngwallst (OP)

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 09:22:41 PM

Products are excellent. I have 3x SP30s. Whatever they say or you hear, assume any pre-order will be shipped on the last day of the month, at 11:55pm lol (my last 2 were hosted at SPTech facility and were STILL online 2 days after the deadline... but meh what do you do?).
Cust service could be a little less condescending at times, but its there and you get supported.
I recommend SPTech

thanks for your feed back, do they run within the projected hash/power rates? power consumption is very important in the datacenter lol.
nexxypoo

Activity: 13

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 09:31:34 PM

I recommend SPTech

thanks for your feed back, do they run within the projected hash/power rates? power consumption is very important in the datacenter lol.

They are hosted in the SPTech facility, and thats one thing i didnt mention, they now have a new "security" policy which means you cant login to your own machine, you have to ask them to do any maintenance/pool setup etc. So I cant actually see the miner-side averages, but at my pool 2 of them seem to be hashing at the right level, one is ~10% down. But I cant be sure. So I would definitely take that into consideration when thinking of hosting options.

Power draw I have NFi but ive heard they are bang-on.

youngwallst (OP)

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 09:47:51 PM

I recommend SPTech

They are hosted in the SPTech facility, and thats one thing i didnt mention, they now have a new "security" policy which means you cant login to your own machine, you have to ask them to do any maintenance/pool setup etc. So I cant actually see the miner-side averages, but at my pool 2 of them seem to be hashing at the right level, one is ~10% down. But I cant be sure. So I would definitely take that into consideration when thinking of hosting options.

glad i asked, thank you for your feedback, much appreciated and good luck!
dogjunior

Activity: 407
Merit: 255

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 10:00:39 PM

Well, currently just getting some feedback so if I did want to expand, I had a vetted review of this firm from community members (or at least an alternative to this firm if the reviews came in bad). Trust me, I see your point and may sound crazy for wanting to expand with price oscillating sub 500 for a while now & been thinking of just dumping whatever I would have spent into buying coin, but I don't know if I really want to do that.. Worked pretty hard to get near 100 TH thus far, so its not like we are starting from scratch or anything and I do believe in doing my part to secure the network. I have a data center that I already house miners at so it wouldn't be much of a hassle (except the added electric cost) to get them somewhere secure and temp controlled.  I will def look into the miners you have recommended and appreciate your feedback!

Unless you are getting free hosting and electricity then buying new equipment is going to be really stressful right now and probably in the future. BTC prices going down, sub $350.  Any more and you are looking at negative income. Your only hope is for the difficulty to go down and BTC prices to start going back up. If the opposite happens then you are in a deep trouble. That new SP 35 that now costs $3800 won't mine enough coin to pay the electric bill.  6Th now gets you 2.6 BTC. If BTC falls to sub $100 then your SP 35 won't cover the $260 dollar electric bill at .10 a Kw.
wh00per

Activity: 571
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 11:21:39 PM

http://powerprice.info/SPT/graphic.php << see for yourself, a SP30 in the last 24h. Look at all the charts Smiley

CSA/cUL Certified Power Distribution Panels - Basic, Switched, Metered. 1-3 phases. Up to 600V. NMC:N4F9qvHz11BHcc4nh1LCJFsrZhA1EWgVwj
youngwallst (OP)

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 08:09:34 PM

do you have them in a datacenter or remotely hosted? and is the actual hash rate/watts at the wall in line with projections?
youngwallst (OP)

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 08:30:06 PM

Unless you are getting free hosting and electricity then buying new equipment is going to be really stressful right now and probably in the future. BTC prices going down, sub $350.  Any more and you are looking at negative income. Your only hope is for the difficulty to go down and BTC prices to start going back up. If the opposite happens then you are in a deep trouble. That new SP 35 that now costs $3800 won't mine enough coin to pay the electric bill.  6Th now gets you 2.6 BTC. If BTC falls to sub $100 then your SP 35 won't cover the $260 dollar electric bill at .10 a Kw.

yeah completely understand what youre saying, again just getting a general idea, see if the company is reliable and how their equipment performs. I know theres only been two difficulty decreases ever, wonder what the chance of that happening again is.. Doubt it would unless blocks being mined per day went down quite a bit. As far as price, seeing this kind of decrease peak to trough is perfectly healthy, granted these levels need to hold in order to put in a longer term bottom. The way I see it, the turnover from billion dollar industries coupled with increasing mining costs & regulatory uncertainty is a reason for price to go down, especially after a 4000%+ year. There will be catalysts for price expansion in the coming years. I wouldnt waste my money on miners if I didnt feel confident I could at bare minimum cover my costs of operation. With that said, the uncertainty right now makes me not want to actually purchase coins outright. I guess I will just wait and see what happens. I again greatly appreciate your feedback and breaking it down to brass tax for me.
RoadStress
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 11:26:23 AM

do you have them in a datacenter or remotely hosted? and is the actual hash rate/watts at the wall in line with projections?

I have them in a DC yes, but I don't quite understand your question. Units are running at 4.5Th/s - 3kW (+-5% normal variation).

youngwallst (OP)

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 01:50:44 PM
Last edit: October 06, 2014, 01:04:14 PM by youngwallst

I have them in a DC yes, but I don't quite understand your question. Units are running at 4.5Th/s - 3kW (+-5% normal variation).

Only reason I ask is because my cointerra units didn't perform within projected power/hash rates and had an over heating issue so I was just making sure. And I think I may have confused you with my wording, I know some companies let you host your equipment at their own datacenters sometimes for a fee. Thank you for your feed back, its much apprecaited!
xstr8guy

Activity: 784
Merit: 1004

Glow Stick Dance!

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 09:12:31 PM

This is a terrible time to invest in any hardware and it will likely never get better.

This BTC price drop just may kill Spondoolies. Their business model of not building their own datacenters, although admirable, is probably the worst decision they could have made. Their retail sales must have completely dried up over the past few weeks. And unless they have some large orders coming in from private farms, they're screwed. And even then, they'd have to sell their miners at a steep discount.
youngwallst (OP)

View Profile
October 06, 2014, 01:16:10 PM

This is a terrible time to invest in any hardware and it will likely never get better.

This BTC price drop just may kill Spondoolies. Their business model of not building their own datacenters, although admirable, is probably the worst decision they could have made. Their retail sales must have completely dried up over the past few weeks. And unless they have some large orders coming in from private farms, they're screwed. And even then, they'd have to sell their miners at a steep discount.

While I agree with you that mining will never get easier, let me ask you this.. I have a private mining operation which pumps about 45 TH/s .. To expand (if I so choose) to around 100 TH/s what would you consider? I dont plan to do it right now, but would like to have some opinions simply on how to go about it, since everyone is split between either loving spondoolies or saying it is the wrong choice with price being so low and diff being so high. Thank you in advance for your feedback!
philipma1957
Legendary

Activity: 4102
Merit: 7764

'The right to privacy matters'

View Profile WWW
October 06, 2014, 01:28:05 PM

buy a few long tubes from asicminer  today.  coin price is low and asicminer has stayed the course. keeping price at 1.47 btc for about 1.5th

canaryinthemine
 crazyguy

or direct from friedcat is the way to go.

▄▄███████▄▄
▄██████████████▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████████▄█▀████▄
███████████▄███████████
██████████▄█▀███████████
██████████▀████████████
▀█████▄█▀█████████████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 MΞTAWIN  THE FIRST WEB3 CASINO   
.. PLAY NOW ..
youngwallst (OP)

View Profile
October 06, 2014, 02:00:53 PM

buy a few long tubes from asicminer  today.  coin price is low and asicminer has stayed the course. keeping price at 1.47 btc for about 1.5th

canaryinthemine
 crazyguy

or direct from friedcat is the way to go.

Thank you for that one, have overlooked them in the past. Very much appreciated!
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: