Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 04:24:05 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How Could Bitcoin Evolve?  (Read 3607 times)
jabo38
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

mining is so 2012-2013

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2014, 07:14:55 AM

Bitcoin is opening the door to crypto.

Crypto 2.0 is going to knock down the whole house.  

Crypto 2.0 = Ripple/Stellar, Ethereum, NXT, and NEM
(there are some other honorable mentions but will need to be evaluated more later)

ripple, stellar are not even crypto's. they are mysql database entries. and the others.. well pfft.. they still lack the benefits bitcoin has even if people do orgasm over the stories they tell

So, I am going to more or less agree with you.  Ripple/Stellar are a real crypto, but they are an interesting system for international cross currency money transfers.  That is if they get support from the banks.  This feature is something that Bitcoin is also trying to do and is doing okay, but it seems to me Ripple/Stellar might in 5 years be much better at it. 

As for the others, yes they still lack the benefits of Bitcoin and Bitcoin is still better by far, but I am not sure if that will be the case in 5 years from now. 

Basically, I agree with you on the current state of affairs, but have a different vision of the possible future. 

btcxyzzz
Legendary

Activity: 888
Merit: 1000

Monero - secure, private and untraceable currency.

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2014, 01:52:00 PM

The most important keyword about Bitcoin evolution is anonymity. Period. If it fails to deliver that, I think some anonymous altcoin may grow bigger than Bitcoin.

Token Bubbles – Transforming the ICO Rating and Analysis Space.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4256
Merit: 4532

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 02:21:54 PM

Ripple/Stellar are a real crypto,
wrong

ripple:
cryptographic secured transaction: no
blockchain: no
decentralised: no

stellar:
cryptographically secured transactions: no
decentralised: semi (gateways:yes, individuals: no)

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Waramp22

Activity: 321
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 03:27:37 PM

The most important keyword about Bitcoin evolution is anonymity. Period. If it fails to deliver that, I think some anonymous altcoin may grow bigger than Bitcoin.

Why do you think the US government would ever consider legalizing a currency they cannot tax?

Scammed by Black Arrow? See the consumer complaint thread here -
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=681965.0
Waramp22

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 03:41:10 PM

Why do you think the US government would ever consider legalizing a currency they cannot tax?

Bitcoin is illegal in the U.S.?
No. The government can track bitcoin and in the future, they can tax it. 

Darkcoin or other anonymous altcoins claim to be untraceable. Because of this, i cannot see how the US government would consider legalizing it instead of bitcoin. 

inBitweTrust

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 04:00:19 PM

Darkcoin or other anonymous altcoins claim to be untraceable. Because of this, i cannot see how the US government would consider legalizing it instead of bitcoin. 

How do you track bitcoin with tools like the darkwallet, coinjoin, and stealth addresses?

BTCmoons

Activity: 173
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 04:08:05 PM

The ASIC attack: design a cheaper, faster, more efficient ASIC. Fund it with someone that wants to spend millions to destroy Bitcoin. Create more ASICs and flood the general market because you don't want to go out of business if your market dries up. Bad agent is unable to attack Bitcoin. Bad agent changes strategy to make Bitcoins instead. Everybody wins.
This is why PoW is superior to PoS. Since you now need to make some kind of initial investment in miners in order to mine, you have a vested interest in seeing the coin you are mining succeed (since it is all that you can mine with an ASIC).
Waramp22

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 04:42:12 PM

How do you track bitcoin with tools like the darkwallet, coinjoin, and stealth addresses?

I have no idea, but for the average US citizen who pays taxes and isn't interested in hiding anything from the government, bitcoin makes perfect sense.

There will always be a black market, scams, fraud, money laundering, people working for cash etc. The governments main interest is to tax as much money activity as possible without causing citizens to revolt. Bitcoin allows this, darkcoin not so much.  

inBitweTrust

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 04:48:23 PM

I have no idea, but for the average US citizen who pays taxes and isn't interested in hiding anything from the government, bitcoin makes perfect sense.

There will always be a black market, scams, fraud, money laundering, people working for cash etc. The governments main interest is to tax as much money activity as possible without causing citizens to revolt. Bitcoin allows this, darkcoin not so much.  

I agree with you , but only because bitcoin was marketed as having an open and traceable ledger. Russia saw through the marketing and decided to ban everything.

Waramp22

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 05:06:36 PM

I agree with you , but only because bitcoin was marketed as having an open and traceable ledger. Russia saw through the marketing and decided to ban everything.

Russia also bans gay pride parades. While Russia is kind of awesome, it is old school compared to other 1st world countries.

sublime5447
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 10:09:40 PM

By going to the exchanges and demanding accountability of frunds traded there. See no one gives a shit about a bitcoin but they care a lot about USD. When people trade they are not trading for coins they are trading for usd and what they are really trading for is what the USD can get them. They dont need to track every move just gains.
santaClause

Activity: 183

View Profile
October 06, 2014, 03:35:54 AM

darkcoin allows money laundering more then bitcoin does, however it will not be the breaking point that prevents people from having to pay taxes. It will be obvious if someone is paying an appropriate level of taxes based on their spending habits and standard of living. If they are claiming to be living in poverty but is driving a BMW then they are clearly not reporting all their income and charges would be brought against them
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
October 06, 2014, 10:00:50 AM

Ripple/Stellar are a real crypto,
wrong

ripple:
cryptographic secured transaction: no
decentralised: no
This is wrong.

Transactions are cryptographically signed and secured, otherwise anyone could access anyone's balance...

Blockchain: Yes, however unlike Bitcoin (which only stores a transaction tree in blocks) Ripple stores the AccountState (comparable to the UTXO set in Bitcoin) AND transactions in it's chain. This means bootstrapping is easier, as you only need a recent "block" (aka. ledger), not every block from the beginning.

Decentralised: It depends. I would agree to a "no" for now, it is built to be decentralised though from the start. It is not clear what you mean by that term though, in your comment about stellar you write something about gateways, whcih doesn't make any sense.

Since Stellar is just a fork of Ripple, the same is valid there.

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
chenka563

Activity: 126

View Profile
October 06, 2014, 02:17:52 PM

Where is  the 'new' wallet which is like a lite version that means you don't need to download the whole blockchain.

i Need it!

─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
☆★☆ High ROI Bonds |  Long, Medium and Short Term Options | Bitcoin Bond Network ☆★☆
─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
pokerFace2

Activity: 143

View Profile
October 06, 2014, 02:20:41 PM

Where is  the 'new' wallet which is like a lite version that means you don't need to download the whole blockchain.

i Need it!

There are few such wallets. I use electrum. I believe multibit is lite version as well...
BrunesBTC45

Activity: 103
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 09, 2014, 01:44:54 AM

i Need it!

How about breadwallet?
voisine

Activity: 115
Merit: 19

View Profile
October 19, 2014, 02:40:42 AM

i Need it!

How about breadwallet?

breadwallet for iOS was the first mobile HD wallet using SPV (simplified payment verification, the lite version of the blockchain).

On Android andreas schlindbach's wallet is SPV as well, and just recently added HD like breadwallet (which means it doesn't reuse addresses which helps protect your privacy)
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: