Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 01:08:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: My company can no longer take BTC.  (Read 2553 times)
687_2 (OP)

Activity: 173
Merit: 105

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 04:16:10 AM

http://imgur.com/GSwxxQz

I invested a lot of time setting up my company's website to work with Coinbase's API. Three months have passed; not a single order has been paid for with BTC. And now Coinbase is demanding way too much information - this is the last straw.

I need a Bitcoind client that can be installed on a Godaddy server. Until then, my company can't take BTC.

Buy the dip with the security and privacy of your own wallet: use cross chain atomic swaps to trade Bitcoin, USDT, and Ether. Trades are secured and settled on-chain. https://sibex.io

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Nagle
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2014, 04:35:24 AM

I invested a lot of time setting up my company's website to work with Coinbase's API. Three months have passed; not a single order has been paid for with BTC. And now Coinbase is demanding way too much information - this is the last straw.
They want your company name and address, and your merchant tax ID. Unless you're running a scam, that should not be a problem. That information should be on your web site. In some US states, and in the EU, it's a criminal offense to accept online payments without disclosing the actual name and address from which the business is conducted.

I need a Bitcoind client that can be installed on a Godaddy server. Until then, my company can't take BTC.
Nobody hosts anything serious on GoDaddy.
joecooin

Activity: 359
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2014, 07:32:59 AM

Three months have passed; not a single order has been paid for with BTC.

That's his problem, not Coinbase asking questions.

We are suffering merchant adoptacalypse but their shop missed out.

Unlucky. Shit happens even while shit happens.

Joe

bornil267645

Activity: 406

AltoCenter.com

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2014, 07:38:40 AM

I have been waiting for 6 months to get just 2 orders. What can I say other than... Hang in there...

PL_CoinTrader

Activity: 226
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 07:39:13 AM

These informations are obviously necessary. Bitcoin hasn't been invented to scam people and also not to evade taxes.

DISCIPLINA — The First Blockchain For HR & Education
From core developers of Cardano, PoS minting, unique Web Of Trust & Privacy algorithms. Be the first, join us!
  WEBSITE  TELEGRAM  ANN  BOUNTY  LINKEDIN  WHITEPAPER  Referral Program 5%
jabo38
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

mining is so 2012-2013

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2014, 08:03:04 AM

Well, I think we are still a ways of from people making lots of orders.

It seems pretty simple to me. I want to spend dollars because I am paid in dollars. My bank account is in dollars so I go to stores that accept dollars. Pretty simple.

Now if people will want to spend bitcoins on regular things, they need to be paid in bitcoins. Very very few people are paid in bitcoins and the few that could be often cash out because of volitility.

If Bitcoin becomes really good as a way to transfer money then some people will have bitcoins on hand and be willing to spend them. So the best way for us to make bitcoins real is by spending and sending them.

To me the most logical cases follow 2 scenarios.

1. Bitcoin becomes really good at international payments. A person will receive bitcoins from overseas and because Bitcions are sitting in a person's wallet and instead of cashing them out for cash, a person just spends them online and saves a bit in fees and and exchange rates.

2. The undocumented, illegal, and unbanked start getting paid in Bitcoin and then spending it.

Illegal - Part of bitcoins original growth came from illegal sells on the Silk Road. Some of this similar activity might further Bitcoin.  Maybe Open Bizzar? But there are other options.

Undicumented - The illegal and undocumented aliens in countries all over the world might adopt Bitcoin to send money home to family instead of stockpiling large piles of cash to smuggle. And/or they start shopping online like the rest of us but start paying in Bitcoin instead because they don't need a name, address and #ID.  To do this they need easy access points in and out of bitcoin like the prepaid Visa bought at conveinance store -> Circle option or Bitcoin ATMs that protect there anonymity and privacy.

Unbanked - There is also a huge option for the legal and working but unbanked in the third world. Most people in the world still don't have bank accounts. Bitcoin still had a chance to become their means of digital value store and transfer.

I'm not sure if all of these or just some of them will be the tipping point but when they happen stores will be doing sales in Bitcoin and offer employees options to get paid in bitcoins which will then drive more sales in other businesses.  This makes Bitcoin more legitimate.

But it's not very useful going from just fiat -> Bitcoin -> to purchase of something I could have bought with fiat  in the first place.  Just doesn't make sense. Why? Because I lose money in fees.

Bitcoin being accepted in stores and widely used us it's killer app, but it can't happen first because it just doesn't make sense.  Some of these other things I mentioned do serve and individuals interest and can help feel bitcoins wide growth, adaption and use.

tinof

Activity: 343

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 08:19:30 AM

Need incentive for consumer to pay using bitcoin.

If your company only serve local consumer, it is cheaper and more convenient for them just to do a bank to bank transfer or use credit card.

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4435

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 08:20:23 AM

ignoring the other posts of cry babies complaining of volatility and lack of spending. ill concentrate on the OP's question

the solution is to NEVER have a bitcoinD on the web server. multiple security issues for this.

all you need is a database of public keys.

simply generate keys from an offline computer and put just the public keys into a database onine for the website to then display to customers. and you simply keep updating the database as the addresses get used.

you then use the offline computer to manage the bitcoins far far far away from the website. this is called "cold store".

then all you need is a API for price evaluation.

... simples

lastly
ADVERTISE, ADVERTISE, ADVERTISE.
no one will spend bitcoins if you dont advertise your business accepts them. EG everyone knows overstock and dell accepts bitcoin, thus they are doing $millions in bitcoin transactions

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
desired_username

Activity: 879
Merit: 1013

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 08:25:44 AM

Three months have passed; not a single order has been paid for with BTC.

I'm not sure what did you expect. If success would equal to accepting bitcoin, then everyone would do it already.

It depends on your product and marketing too. Bitcoin is still small, expecting any sales for an average shop is only wishful thinking, there's a high chance that your business do not appeal to the demographic of bitcoiners.

I'm not sure how others do, but I avoid spending if the exchange rate is depressed anyways.
Krona Rev

Activity: 129

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 10:27:43 AM

I sympathize with the OP. It's not the first story I've heard of small/internet businesses accepting bitcoin but getting few, if any, orders.

Accepting bitcoins shouldn't depend on third parties (e.g., coinbase). However, running your own bitcoind isn't as easy as it's made out to be. I rented a VPS for a few months to try it out. It cost me around $10 a month (and in the end it didn't have enough RAM to work effectively).

I doubt many business are making even $10 extra profit a month by accepting bitcoin.

A lightweight application a business could run just to listen for transactions on the Bitcoin network would help IMO.

I want to thank the OP for being a pioneer and trying to accept bitcoin, and thanks for the report that it wasn't worth it. This is useful information.

Promechard: Proprietary Metablock Chains for Arbitrary Data: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=411974.0
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2014, 10:37:39 AM

franky1
Legendary

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 10:54:48 AM

I sympathize with the OP. It's not the first story I've heard of small/internet businesses accepting bitcoin but getting few, if any, orders.

Accepting bitcoins shouldn't depend on third parties (e.g., coinbase). However, running your own bitcoind isn't as easy as it's made out to be. I rented a VPS for a few months to try it out. It cost me around $10 a month (and in the end it didn't have enough RAM to work effectively).

I doubt many business are making even $10 extra profit a month by accepting bitcoin.

A lightweight application a business could run just to listen for transactions on the Bitcoin network would help IMO.

I want to thank the OP for being a pioneer and trying to accept bitcoin, and thanks for the report that it wasn't worth it. This is useful information.

DONT RUN A BITCOIND OR ANY WALLET ON A WEB SERVER!!! seriously!!
no wonder so many people are screaming bitcoin hacks.. you lot make it simple for them
NEVER EVER EVER have private keys on a website

and if you cant even make $2.50 a week profit.. (before even thinking of bitcoin) then you have bigger issues than bitcoin

Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Krona Rev

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 11:13:54 AM

DONT RUN A BITCOIND OR ANY WALLET ON A WEB SERVER!!! seriously!!
no wonder so many people are screaming bitcoin hacks.. you lot make it simple for them
NEVER EVER EVER have private keys on a website

I rented a VPS so bitcoind would be running somewhere with nothing else running (e.g., no apache so no website).

If bitcoind could include "watch-only" addresses, then there wouldn't be the danger of private keys being hackable. But you're right. Since the private keys must be in the wallet in order to watch for transactions, the best advice is not to use it for this purpose. In my case, I imported the private keys into the wallet.dat offline and then encrypted it with a high entropy (128 bit) password. Then I uploaded the encrypted wallet.dat to the VPS. I only wanted it for watching. While I think it was relatively secure (and I never had enough mbits to make it a decent target), your advice is best: don't do it. It was more of a test in my case.

and if you cant even make $2.50 a week profit.. (before even thinking of bitcoin) then you have bigger issues than bitcoin

I agree. That's why I gave up what I was doing and decided never to try anything again the rest of my life. Wish me luck!

Promechard: Proprietary Metablock Chains for Arbitrary Data: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=411974.0
687_2 (OP)

Activity: 173
Merit: 105

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 01:50:34 PM

ignoring the other posts of cry babies complaining of volatility and lack of spending. ill concentrate on the OP's question

the solution is to NEVER have a bitcoinD on the web server. multiple security issues for this.

all you need is a database of public keys.

simply generate keys from an offline computer and put just the public keys into a database onine for the website to then display to customers. and you simply keep updating the database as the addresses get used.

you then use the offline computer to manage the bitcoins far far far away from the website. this is called "cold store".

then all you need is a API for price evaluation.

... simples

lastly
ADVERTISE, ADVERTISE, ADVERTISE.
no one will spend bitcoins if you dont advertise your business accepts them. EG everyone knows overstock and dell accepts bitcoin, thus they are doing $millions in bitcoin transactions

I think the big problem regarding sales is my company's small market is simply not using BTC yet.

I recently learned of these tools that I'll research and hopefully implement instead of Coinbase (which I'll be dropping completely) and seem to be a bit better developed than a homebrew solution:

https://github.com/coinkite/coinkite-real-time-invoice
https://github.com/gary-rowe/MultiBitMerchant

Are there any glaring security issues with these technologies?

Buy the dip with the security and privacy of your own wallet: use cross chain atomic swaps to trade Bitcoin, USDT, and Ether. Trades are secured and settled on-chain. https://sibex.io
Operatr

Activity: 798

www.DonateMedia.org

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2014, 02:04:24 PM

Coinbase is an exchange and has to comply with the same rules as any other exchange that deals with Dollars. This is not their fault. Take your bitch to the SEC and FinCEN.

Secondly, its not Bitcoin's fault your marketing sucks either.

Thirdly, GoDaddy is hosting for school children, not serious business people. Get a proper VPS or hosted server to host a Core.

franky1
Legendary

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 02:08:39 PM

I think the big problem regarding sales is my company's small market is simply not using BTC yet.

I recently learned of these tools that I'll research and hopefully implement instead of Coinbase (which I'll be dropping completely) and seem to be a bit better developed than a homebrew solution:

https://github.com/coinkite/coinkite-real-time-invoice
https://github.com/gary-rowe/MultiBitMerchant

Are there any glaring security issues with these technologies?

a few yes.

coinkite is a web wallet (not on your server) much like blockchain.info but with a price estimator and QR code customer splash screen

multibit is a light wallet that uses less ram etc. but still leaves you in the ugly position of having a wallet on your own server.

is it an online store? or a face to face (brick and mortar) business?

Mellnik

Activity: 242

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 02:51:43 PM

Switch to a serious domain/server host. GoDaddy is the most utter shit of the internet.
Krona Rev

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 03:33:26 PM

Yes, GoDaddy sucks. Fine. But switching to a different server or host doesn't address an issue in this thread. Odd that it keeps being brought up. Suppose the OP gets a different server/host. Q: What does he do with it so that he starts making sales in BTC? A: Nothing. He spends money on a better server/host and gets nothing in return.

And advertise? Sure. But advertising is very expensive. The OP would need to decide if spending a few thousand dollars on advertising will result in more than a few thousand dollars worth of BTC in sales. It seems unlikely to have this effect if his current BTC sales are zero.

BTC is a niche. Very few people have it and very few of those use it. If you don't believe me, start a BTC accepting business. Tell me how the crickets sound where you live.

Beliathon

Activity: 784

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2014, 03:43:31 PM

Sounds like your company sucks and as a businessman you are a failure.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
ForgottenPassword

Activity: 154

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 03:45:22 PM
Last edit: October 04, 2014, 04:00:39 PM by ForgottenPassword

If you are only receiving money on your website, there is no need to run bitcoind or any other wallet software on it. Have the wallet on your own computer, and store a list of bitcoin addresses on your server.

When someone places an order, link their invoice to the bitcoin address. Use something like blockchain.info's API to check if the payment was received.

I have private messages disabled. Send me an email instead. My contact details can be found here.

Tip Address: 13Lwo1hK5smoBpFWxmqeKSL52EvN8U7asX
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: