Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:11:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Virus detected in the blockchain  (Read 3521 times)
Mountaingoat

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2014, 10:39:45 AM

I'm not sure what the right forum for this is, here, or in the Technical forum, but I figure it'll get read more here, so I'm posting here...

My computer (Windows 7 64 bit) was acting strange so I just ran a full virus scan.  It detected two viruses and one of them just happened to be in the blockchain.  It was detected in Bitcoin\Blocks\blk00129.dat.  Those of you running full nodes, especially on Windows, this would be a good time to run a virus scanner.  Avast caught this, I can't comment on any others.

i think thats a false flag.

some crap virus scanners dont detect actual viruses, they just have lists of filenames, and it happens to be that a certain old virus from the 1990's had a filename called blk00129.dat.

i kinda remember someone posting about this last year
I know for a fact that Avast! is absolutely not a crap virus scanner.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
btcxyzzz
Legendary

Activity: 888
Merit: 1000

Monero - secure, private and untraceable currency.

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2014, 01:46:24 PM

I'm not sure what the right forum for this is, here, or in the Technical forum, but I figure it'll get read more here, so I'm posting here...

My computer (Windows 7 64 bit) was acting strange so I just ran a full virus scan.  It detected two viruses and one of them just happened to be in the blockchain.  It was detected in Bitcoin\Blocks\blk00129.dat.  Those of you running full nodes, especially on Windows, this would be a good time to run a virus scanner.  Avast caught this, I can't comment on any others.

Dump that Winblows shit out of your house and understand Linux is worlds above that crap. Come on people, it's time that you understand what's the best OS.

Token Bubbles – Transforming the ICO Rating and Analysis Space.
chanz

Activity: 298
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 01:53:07 PM

It is your shitty antivirus for sure if not could be a worm infecting all your blocks and your avast only detected the blocks not the virus itself.
If you gona keep using windows atleast buy a good antivirus like kaspersky or mcafee then scan it with that.
and if you are still fishy about the blocks upload the blk file to virustotal.com and check it.

My BTC address : 1KfS1c14Tg2hgQEVz2bCJeFox6FpyYFvM6
jimcoin

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 08:25:18 PM

You're wasting resources scanning the blockchain. Just add the Bitcoin folder to your antiviruses exclusion list.

http://classroom.synonym.com/make-exclusions-avast-16518.html
kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 09:00:09 PM

Then your virus scanner setting must be wrong, don't scan all files, just executable files.

Not a great idea either if you're relying on a virus scanner to keep you safe.  Malicious scripts can be run by opening non-executable files as well such as Word documents, Excel spreadsheets, PDF's, etc.  Virus scanners will sometimes catch these so should not be omitted from scans.

Virus scanners are pretty bad anyways.  Making a virus undetectable to any scanner is trivial.  I don't even bother installing a virus scanner at all, but rather I monitor my system's services, processes, network connections, etc.  If I feel that there is even a remote chance that an application or file is infected, it never leaves its own VM.

Virus scanners are not that stupid, DOC PPT XLS COM EXE VBS etc... are all considered "executable files", and will be scanned. But a .DAT file, you can't execute it by default, unless there's some 3rd party program installed that specifically make .DAT file executable.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
santaClause

Activity: 183
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 06, 2014, 03:39:30 AM

Then your virus scanner setting must be wrong, don't scan all files, just executable files.

Not a great idea either if you're relying on a virus scanner to keep you safe.  Malicious scripts can be run by opening non-executable files as well such as Word documents, Excel spreadsheets, PDF's, etc.  Virus scanners will sometimes catch these so should not be omitted from scans.

Virus scanners are pretty bad anyways.  Making a virus undetectable to any scanner is trivial.  I don't even bother installing a virus scanner at all, but rather I monitor my system's services, processes, network connections, etc.  If I feel that there is even a remote chance that an application or file is infected, it never leaves its own VM.

Virus scanners are not that stupid, DOC PPT XLS COM EXE VBS etc... are all considered "executable files", and will be scanned. But a .DAT file, you can't execute it by default, unless there's some 3rd party program installed that specifically make .DAT file executable.
There are viruses that are hidden in other files. For example someone could use macros in an excel spreadsheet to infect a virus into a computer. They are hidden in word documents and other similar types of files as well
suatdu

Activity: 83
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 06, 2014, 04:37:03 AM

avast says virus to my mining software too...
SF-Man

Activity: 98

View Profile
October 06, 2014, 05:01:04 AM

Since the day I started using anti-virus (avast).. It failed me a lot of times.

CrackedLogic
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 08:29:50 AM

AVG  also picks that up, i think most anti - viruses do.

Shocked BUY GAMESWITHBTCITCOINFORDISCOUNTEDPRICES Shocked
Kyt Dotson

Activity: 105

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2014, 09:31:08 AM

Also, the blockchain is not meant to be used as an executable, so even if a virus binary is stored there, it doesn't matter.

I think this is at the crux of the situation. The virus scanner could have mistaken a portion of the blockchain as having the same signature of some virus; but unless someone foolishly decided to clip out and execute the section (if it could run at all) nothing would happen.

SiliconANGLE: Bitcoin Weekly (My weekly column)
Read Black Hat Magick - not your ordinary detective agency - geeky fiction
BTC: 13MPMB6wU9j9RcqFRsubtngmtmvh3guZGp
steve98210

Activity: 85

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 09:37:35 AM

I think it is virus code purposely embedded in the blockchain that was detected by the antivirus.
AGD
Legendary

Activity: 2069
Merit: 1164

Keeper of the Private Key

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 10:15:50 AM

Bitcoin is not a bubble, it's the pin!
+++ GPG Public key FFBD756C24B54962E6A772EA1C680D74DB714D40 +++ http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x1C680D74DB714D40
bithound

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 11:57:10 AM

Is it possible? What will happen if my blockchain gets the virus?
novacn

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 12:51:44 PM

Virus in blockchain? It seems not even possible. What will the virus do? Double spend you coin?  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Fortify
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1176

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 01:57:59 PM

Is it possible? What will happen if my blockchain gets the virus?

Read the thread before posting, it makes you look stupid. This is just an old virus signature that causes a red flag in old antivirus software.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████