Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 12:56:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Do you use "bits" yet as your Bitcoin unit of exchange?
Yes, of course.
No, what's that?
Makes sense, i'll use it now!
I'm thinking of using it.
I will never!

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Who uses "bits"?  (Read 4167 times)
rgenito (OP)

Activity: 140
Merit: 101

View Profile WWW
October 06, 2014, 07:26:02 AM

I see that people are interested in the "bits" unit; however, given that few applications and services actually use it, how many people are actually using "bits" as their default unit now?
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=592691.480

I'm interested in helping others use this unit as well, so if you know of any services that use "bits", please mention them here. "µBTC" is kind of unfriendly, as your common person just has no idea what that is.

Bitcoin Core (QT) wallet (Desktop):
Technically this uses "bits", but names them "micro bits". To change to use "bits", go to the client's Preferences section, click the "Display" tab at the top, and select "Unit to show amounts in" to µBTC.

Bread Wallet (iOS):
This wallet *only* uses bits. http://breadwallet.com

Bitcoin Wallet (Android):
Also uses bits -- but calls it the unfriendly term "µBTC".
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.schildbach.wallet&hl=en

https://geni.app - Genius – The Crypto Solution to Retirement
RustyNomad

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
October 06, 2014, 07:36:43 AM

MyCelium HD Wallet for Android

You can select BTC, mBTC, uBTC and bits
MineForeman.com
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
October 06, 2014, 08:06:48 AM

Why is there no no option?

Do you use "bits" yet as your Bitcoin unit of exchange?

No.

Bitcoin News http://mineforeman.com/ || MinePeon - Bitcoin mining on the Raspberry PI http://mineforeman.com/minepeon/ || MinePeon Wiki http://minepeon.com/ || MinePeon Forums http://minepeon.com/forums/
teukon
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1004

View Profile
October 06, 2014, 10:28:28 AM

"µBTC" is kind of unfriendly, as your common person just has no idea what that is.

I challenge you to ask 10 "common people" what a "bit" is.

I also claim that while "µBTC" is somewhat unfriendly, if it is useful it will be softened in a natural way.  People will write "uBTC" often because there is no "µ" on most keyboards.  People may drop pronunciations such as "microbitcoin" or "u-bee-tee-cee" in favour of abbreviations such as "mic" or "ubit".  Someone may invent a currency symbol, probably a "µ" with a bar through it, like ₥ (read: mill) which already exists and means a thousandth of a currency unit.  If the unit becomes really popular prices might be typed as "240 u" or "1500 u" where the "u" is pronounced "yew" or "mics".

If "kilograms" is often abbreviated to "kilos", "millilitres" to "mills", and "gigabytes" to "gigs", then why must we plan what people are going to do about "microbitcoins"?  Can't we simply let the decentralised system which is natural language do its job?

So no.  While I can order a takeaway for 34 mills, paying a transaction fee of 200 mics, I have no need or want to adopt extra terms such as "bits".
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3402
Merit: 4656

View Profile
October 06, 2014, 12:20:35 PM

"µBTC" is kind of unfriendly, as your common person just has no idea what that is.

I challenge you to ask 10 "common people" what a "bit" is.

I also claim that while "µBTC" is somewhat unfriendly, if it is useful it will be softened in a natural way.  People will write "uBTC" often because there is no "µ" on most keyboards.  People may drop pronunciations such as "microbitcoin" or "u-bee-tee-cee" in favour of abbreviations such as "mic" or "ubit".  Someone may invent a currency symbol, probably a "µ" with a bar through it, like ₥ (read: mill) which already exists and means a thousandth of a currency unit.  If the unit becomes really popular prices might be typed as "240 u" or "1500 u" where the "u" is pronounced "yew" or "mics".

If "kilograms" is often abbreviated to "kilos", "millilitres" to "mills", and "gigabytes" to "gigs", then why must we plan what people are going to do about "microbitcoins"?  Can't we simply let the decentralised system which is natural language do its job?

So no.  While I can order a takeaway for 34 mills, paying a transaction fee of 200 mics, I have no need or want to adopt extra terms such as "bits".

Agreed.

I use the term microbitcoins (or occasionally shortened to microbits) and write it as µBTC.

I've encountered people that have shortened "bitcoins" to "bits" when talking about whole bitcoins, so it would be confusing to use the word "bits" in place of "microbitcoins" when talking about a millionth of a bitcoin.

Since I've encountered MANY people that have shortened the word "microbitcoins" to "microbits" when talking about a millionth of a bitcoin, it just adds additional confusion to use the word "bits".

Paashaas
Legendary

Activity: 3434
Merit: 4368

View Profile
October 06, 2014, 12:33:24 PM

I use Bits; it's easy, fast and simpel.
Aswan
Legendary

Activity: 1734
Merit: 1015

View Profile
October 06, 2014, 12:44:20 PM

I think it should not be used. Its a µBTC.
Bitzkrieg

Activity: 150
Merit: 100

------bitcoiner@heart.email

View Profile
October 06, 2014, 12:47:57 PM

Any complaints about breadwallet?

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\◥◣◢◤////////////////////
❖ Win88.me ❖ Fair, Trusted Online BTC Gambling ❖
////////////////////◢◤◥◣\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
CyberSuzy

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 06, 2014, 01:32:36 PM

Bits are stupid.
FUR11

Activity: 378

FURring bitcoin up since 1762

View Profile
October 06, 2014, 02:03:42 PM

I used to be against the usage of bits, because it already is a measuring unit of information, like everyone is pointing out, but it is a catchy name and isn't that far off - Bitcoin has the term 'bit' in its name, already!

R2D221

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 06, 2014, 02:04:25 PM

Since “Bitcoin” is the name of the currency, calling a SUBdivision “bit” is confusing as hell. “Bit” should be the abbreviation of “Bitcoin” itself, and terms such as “millibit” and “microbit” as the subdivisions.

An economy based on endless growth is unsustainable.
chenka563

Activity: 126

View Profile
October 06, 2014, 02:05:29 PM

Now, it is not necessary at present

it is necessaryi in  the future .

─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
☆★☆ High ROI Bonds |  Long, Medium and Short Term Options | Bitcoin Bond Network ☆★☆
─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
FUR11

Activity: 378

FURring bitcoin up since 1762

View Profile
October 06, 2014, 02:07:56 PM

Since “Bitcoin” is the name of the currency, calling a SUBdivision “bit” is confusing as hell. “Bit” should be the abbreviation of “Bitcoin” itself, and terms such as “millibit” and “microbit” as the subdivisions.

Why not keep calling the base-unit a 'Bitcoin' or simply a 'coin' - that way the smaller denomination could be called a bit. It is a catchy name, after all!

R2D221

View Profile
October 06, 2014, 02:23:48 PM

Why not keep calling the base-unit a 'Bitcoin' or simply a 'coin' - that way the smaller denomination could be called a bit. It is a catchy name, after all!

Because you're giving the same name to two different things, and Bitcoin's name won't change since it's already established.

young3dvard

Activity: 193

View Profile
October 06, 2014, 02:30:54 PM

Most computer/internet users have idea what mili and micro means. At least I hope  Smiley
R2D221

View Profile
October 06, 2014, 04:10:12 PM

Most computer/internet users have idea what mili and micro means. At least I hope  Smiley

Also, it's an SI standard, so it would be easier to clarify.

CryptoCarmen

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

★Bitin.io★ - Instant Exchange

View Profile
October 06, 2014, 04:44:37 PM

Most that ever went to school does. At least i hope so.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
October 06, 2014, 05:06:26 PM

i like it. 1mio bits = 1 btc

ikydesu

Activity: 686

fb.com/Bitky.shop | Bitcoin Merch!Premium Quality!

View Profile WWW
October 06, 2014, 05:12:43 PM

actually bits is little confusing, i think satoshi, µBTC, mbtc still fine and clearly.
malaimult

View Profile
October 06, 2014, 10:04:29 PM

i personally prefer to just say 100 sats than 1 bit. it can be confusing

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
  Print  

Jump to: