Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 05:18:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][MEW]Discussion&Vote #1 - Communication Strategy - Members only  (Read 4355 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Shrikez

Activity: 399
Merit: 263

View Profile
October 07, 2014, 03:43:47 PM

The sooner the official XMR forum will offer interesting, competent and helpful content the better. We should work on having search engines point to XMR forums rather sooner than later as I reckon interested "fresh" people would be rather intimidated by coming from Google to the equivalent of a medieval bazaar that is BCT, especially the altcoin section.

That does of course not exclude the necessary exposure on Bitcontalk as the historical hub of all things crypto.
I could start creating a thread now, but since we decided for 168 hours then voting, we'd better wait the end of the vote to make any kind of official move.

Of couse, as individual, you can post whatever you want Smiley
You're the boss, I just went with the flow Smiley

Die Würde des Menschen ist unantastbar
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
rpietila (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
October 07, 2014, 05:09:03 PM

1,000 votes

Interrupt

Please before commenting at all to this thread, read the OP in its entirety. Otherwise your "contribution" is only detrimental to the way this important issue is being discussed and later, voted, and will be removed. This thread exists only for a specific purpose.

- Every comment must be preceded with the number of votes
- Every comment must be a new proposal, support of an existing proposal, discussion, or an interrupt
- Quoting previous person does not absolve you of the rules

/Risto, your new and eager Voting Coordinator. Smiley

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
statdude
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 07, 2014, 07:25:46 PM

50 votes for proposal #2.

▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
█ ███████████████████████ █
█ █████     █ ▀██████████ █
█ █████     █   ▀████████ █
█ █████  ██ █     ▀██████ █

█ █████  ▀▀ █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████ █
█ █████  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  █████ █
█ █████             █████ █
▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀
  Website
    Twitter
      Gitlab
      Reddit
    Telegram
Whitepaper
  ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
█ ███▄    ███████▀   ▄███ █
█ ████▌    █████▀    ████ █
█ ████▌     ███▀     ████ █
█ ████▌▐█    █▀ █    ████ █
█ ████▌▐██     ██    ████ █
█ ████▌▐███   ███    ████ █
█ ███▀  ▀███ ███▀    ▀███ █
▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀
nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
October 07, 2014, 08:56:03 PM

10 votes for proposal #2.
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
October 07, 2014, 11:43:10 PM

100 votes for proposal #2

I agree with ArticMine's reasoning above. Proposal #2 is the long term solution and the move will happen when the time is right.

I think the proposals need to be made more specific.

We have two people here voting for #2 yet at the same time saying we should stay with #1 for now.

papa_lazzarou

Activity: 649
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 09:41:02 AM

20 votes

Discussion

The fact that The Super Teamtm launched a cool dedicated forum changes this discussion.

I'd like to suggest a proposal where we should move our internal communication to the new forum while maintaining the monero announcement thread and a MEW thread for public communications/announcements.

This would have a number if benefits, namely:
 - keep troll fodder to a minimum, as a simple discussion, or even a proposal for a discussion, may be hijacked to spread FUD. (aka The Emission Wars)
 - prevent panic as simple statements are misconstrued to insurmountable obstacles that result in the eminent RIP of Monero. (aka The Great Funding Shortage)
 - make troll control much more manageable because we would have less terrain to defend.
 - maintain a good exposure to Monero and to MEW in their respective oficial threads.
Quicken

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 12:48:38 PM

210 Votes (100 existing, plus 110 pending) for Proposal #2

We should move to the new forum at https://forum.monero.cc if possible. Perhaps MEW could be given a subforum area? We could certainly inject some energy into the new forum.
Q
xulescu

Activity: 263

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 06:43:28 PM

100 votes for #2.

I propose we keep 2, maximum 3 threads open here and otherwise move to the Monero forum. Doing all interaction here is clearly past the point of diminishing returns. That being said, the exposure to The Hub Of Crypto is a tremendous value and also a way to accommodate those who are not mainly interested in Monero and do not wish to follow or sign up for another forum.

That being said, while I suggest starting moving now, I think it's a mistake to rush it. Once the decision to move is reached, either the move happens organically or there was a problem with the decision making and consensus was not actually achieved. Plus, given the Monero forum is proprietary code, there are surely rough edges, security weak points or scaling issues with the new software. Let's give it a few weeks to mature.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 09:11:31 PM

The Hub Of Crypto is a tremendous value and also a way to accommodate those who are not mainly interested in Monero

This is the crux of the issue. There are really two mostly distinct groups: People who are mainly interested in Monero and people who are interested in Monero but only as part of also being interested in other coins (especially Bitcoin, but not exclusively). A separate forum is obviously great for the first group, but much worse for the second group.

Do we have any market research as to the relative sizes of these groups, or projections how that might develop in the future?
nagrom1981

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 09, 2014, 12:36:53 AM

20 votes for proposal #1.

The Hub Of Crypto is a tremendous value and also a way to accommodate those who are not mainly interested in Monero

This is the crux of the issue. There are really two mostly distinct groups: People who are mainly interested in Monero and people who are interested in Monero but only as part of also being interested in other coins (especially Bitcoin, but not exclusively). A separate forum is obviously great for the first group, but much worse for the second group.

Do we have any market research as to the relative sizes of these groups, or projections how that might develop in the future?

I like papa_lazzarou and xulescu's proposals. While proposal #2 is IMO in the long-term interest, I think Monero currently still needs the exposure that it receives here, and I'm unsure what the implications are of moving away from BTCTalk completely at this stage.
infofront
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 2780

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
October 09, 2014, 04:06:15 PM

10 votes for #2.
I believe we should maintain a MEW thread on BTCT that's open to the public. This will allow for some outside opinions on current proposals and MEW in general,  and maybe prevent some of the echo chamber effect. It would also operate as the public face of MEW, and advertise the strong community behind Monero.

A private forum should exist where we can have discussions free of trolls, get down to serious business, more easily form subgroups, committees, and task forces, organize projects and campaigns, etc.
xulescu

Activity: 263

View Profile
October 09, 2014, 05:51:16 PM

20 votes for proposal #1.

I like papa_lazzarou and xulescu's proposals. While proposal #2 is IMO in the long-term interest, I think Monero currently still needs the exposure that it receives here, and I'm unsure what the implications are of moving away from BTCTalk completely at this stage.

I think it's clear at this point we need to rephrase the vote options. If you agree with what I say and vote the other way than I do, it means we read different things in the same options. Maybe have more options to support, like:

1. Stay here completely, for the medium term. Do not use the Monero forum or only use it sparingly.
2. Keep public facing stuff here, private stuff on the Monero forum.
3. Let the market decide - in the meanwhile, there is going to be duplication and overhead to maintain two centres.
4. Start moving to the Monero forum now or immediately after a successful vote, close most threads here, keep the remaining ones as mostly-announcements, finish transition in ~1 month or so.
5. Move to the Monero forum immediately after a successful vote and keep a minimal presence here, or none at all.

My 100 votes would go with (4).
rpietila (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
October 09, 2014, 07:20:06 PM

1,000 votes

Discussion/interrupt

I have suddenly found me with an interesting project related to Monero. I also support a complete rewrite of the communications strategy, but do not have time to do it myself now. What this means (luckily!) is that it's time for anyone to write a communications strategy proposal that takes into account the emergence of a new forum. Just read the OP and all the thread and make use of the old ones as much as is good, and post it here as "New Proposal". That's the way it goes! Smiley

More than half of the Discussion period (of 168 hours) is still in front of us, the system is designed to handle quick turns... Grin

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2014, 08:29:12 PM

1000 Votes.

Support for proposal #2

The crucial point to understand here is that while proposal #1 is a valid option in the short term it must be seen as an interim solution, with proposal #2 as the valid long term option. Proposal #2 calls for the MEW to move to dedicated forums when practical. "When practical" will be determined among other things by the creation a successful XMR forum. Given the choice between voting for the best short term option or the best long term solution I will always choose the best long term option. This follows the principle that when one takes care of the long term the short term will take care of itself, while the reverse is not the case.

The proposal I feel will have the best chance of consensus is to treat proposal #1 as an interim choice until it is practical to implement proposal #2 as the valid long term option.
QFT

110 Votes

Discussion and Support for proposal #1 with suggestions to make #2 acceptable.

ArticMine's position on this and mine are almost identical.  The interesting difference being that we are supporting different proposals.  I would be likely to shift to proposal #2 if a particular forum were designated, as well as a time period for matriculation of MEW business to the new forum.
forum.monero.cc would be an obvious choice.  Though it puts some burdens on the dev team who manage the site, maybe they can carve our a section for us?
Those are the sort of things I'd want to see determined ahead of voting to change. 
#2 would also be supportable the vote is for a non-binding "statement of intent to change forums" or similar.

Monero, and it's community are developing rapidly.  There will likely always be threads here, so long as there is a here, but having a place of our own would be a very good thing.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
vuduchyld

Activity: 364

View Profile
October 10, 2014, 06:04:37 PM

12 votes

Discussion

Lots of thoughtful replies in this thread.  I'm not sure we will be able to iron out an all-encompassing strategy, though, even with votes.  I'd suspect that some things would happen organically over the next few months.  It might make more sense, with the new forum open, for all of us to make some time to be active in both forums and see what shakes out.

This thread was started before the new forum, so there was no choice at the time.  But I'd think that the new forum might actually be an excellent place for this discussion, as opposed to BCT.

Much of the other discussion in which I've engaged over the last few days, though, seem better fit for BCT.

Any chance of migrating this discussion?
David Latapie

Activity: 658
Merit: 503

Monero Core Team

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2014, 11:30:18 PM

200 votes.
Any chance of migrating this discussion?
I prefer it to stay here. Next discussion could be elsewhere (:cough:Monero forum:cough:).

Monero: the first crytocurrency to bring bank secrecy and net neutrality to the blockchain.HyperStake: pushing the limits of staking.
Reputation threadFree bitcoins: reviews, hints…: freebitco.in, freedoge.co.in, qoinpro
iourzzz

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 01:06:55 PM

100 votes for #2.

The features of the new forum.monero.cc look very useful for keeping internal discussions well organized and more relevant without additional efforts for eliminating interventions of trolls.

The new forum are in deep need of organic ignition as well.

So moving will serve both goals while keeping the ability to broadcast important announcements and results on BCT.
rpietila (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 01:45:53 PM

1,000 votes

To update an existing proposal.

The launch of the Monero forum (monero.cc) has made it necessary to rewrite the proposal to take into account that there IS a dedicated forum already, and it does not need to be coded from scratch anymore. I decided to change the proposal #2 to reflect the current reality.

Proposal text (#2 ver 2)

Whereas, the Monero core team has just launched a new forum tailored for Monero users;

Whereas, the MEW can start using the new forum without further implementation;

Whereas, directing new people to BCT is a shame due to high FUD content and low S/N ratio almost throughout;

Whereas, BCT remains an important place to have discussion and information faucet among Cryptoworld;

Whereas, an online virtual world "Crypto Kingdom" with XMR as the ingame currency has been announced to be developed by MEW activists;

Now, therefore, we decide that:

1) the MEW will, as soon as is practical, move its internal official communication including votes and such, to dedicated forum Monero.cc;

2) the MEW will encourage Monero users to migrate to the new forum by adding content there;

3) the MEW will encourage its members to not post on stupid threads in BCT but continue to nurture the discussion on the moderated threads;

4) the MEW will encourage the developers of Crypto Kingdom to hasten their efforts in making this world launch to the players as soon as possible.

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 05:57:52 PM

510 votes

I would support #2 as revised above, with the condition that the discouragement of posting on "stupid threads" be removed or revised. That is too subjective, and I don't feel that participation in "unmoderated threads" should unconditionally be discouraged. For example, the XMR ANN thread has been of very high quality lately, and some users definitely prefer unmoderated threads.

nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 06:14:59 PM

10 votes

discussion

I agree with smooth
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: