Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:18:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: WALLET GONE AND BACKUP NOT WORK █ earn 2 coins for fixing this4me █  (Read 4781 times)
btchris

Activity: 672
Merit: 504

a.k.a. gurnec on GitHub

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2014, 10:56:28 PM

Wow, thanks for the insight, I really do appreciate it. Even if I do find that it isn't a password problem, I am still convinced that I likely did something wrong and I am going to feel like a complete dick for wasting everyones time. I have a curiosity that often drives me into situations where I really have no business being because I know nothing about what I am getting myself into. When I was younger this wasn't a problem because I could learn from my mistakes and be better off because of it. Now I am 32 and my brain decided a while back it will no longer retain any new information. That being said, I absolutely DO NOT expect anyone to try and walk me through this step by step, but I absolutely DO appreciate any input or help because I am very anxious to get this resolved. So if this does get resolved and it ends up being a mistake on my part, I do apologize in advance.

A lot of people on this forum choose to help out just for the heck of it, or just because they believe that Bitcoin has a future. For me, it's also (in part) because I hope to learn something new. So, for whatever it's worth, you're helping me Smiley (and by the way, I'm actually older than 32 by a little...)

As far as openssl goes, I am willing to give it a shot. If I end up feeling it is too much for me, then I will pass the information on to a friend. But the info that has been given for openssl is for Windows, I am using an iMac OSX version 10.9.5.

Sorry, I really know almost nothing about OS X. I suspect that OpenSSL comes pre-installed on it, so that should actually make your life easier, it's just a matter of navigating the command line interface.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tonyClifton13

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 04, 2014, 07:22:39 PM

Although this has been an inconvenience for me (to say the least), if this does help others in the future or possibly prevent it from happening again, then maybe it was worth it. Luckily I don't have a fortune in that wallet, and if I am unable to recover the coin in there I will still be able to pay rent.
I'm very fortunate to have found the right people to help me with this. I was expecting everyone would just assume I'm just some asshole that can't remember his password and wants to blame it on someone else.
I've sent links for both threads to a friend that may be able to help me unlock the wallet with the information you guys have provided. He's a professional computer wizard and knows his way around OSX. I'll let you know how things work out.
Thanks again.
btchris

Activity: 672
Merit: 504

a.k.a. gurnec on GitHub

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2015, 04:11:40 PM

I've written MultiBit wallet manipulation tools in the past (in Python), so it shouldn't be too difficult to take one of those tools and change it to simply load and decrypt a wallet and print out a bunch of debugging info in the event of a failure. That may help (or maybe not...) in getting to the bottom of this.

Unfortunately, it requires installing some Python libraries, and doing so is very difficult in OS X (although for the specific libraries that are needed, it's usually easy under Windows or Linux).

tonyClifton13, I believe you're on OS X, correct? If you know someone you can trust to manipulate your wallet file and password who is on Windows or Linux, or if you have access to a Windows or Linux box yourself, let me know and I'll write such a tool when time permits. (If not, it doesn't make sense for me to go through the effort if all you've got access to is OS X though...)
garyrowe

Activity: 198
Merit: 102

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2015, 04:26:00 PM

I've written MultiBit wallet manipulation tools in the past (in Python), so it shouldn't be too difficult to take one of those tools and change it to simply load and decrypt a wallet and print out a bunch of debugging info in the event of a failure. That may help (or maybe not...) in getting to the bottom of this.

Unfortunately, it requires installing some Python libraries, and doing so is very difficult in OS X (although for the specific libraries that are needed, it's usually easy under Windows or Linux).

tonyClifton13, I believe you're on OS X, correct? If you know someone you can trust to manipulate your wallet file and password who is on Windows or Linux, or if you have access to a Windows or Linux box yourself, let me know and I'll write such a tool when time permits. (If not, it doesn't make sense for me to go through the effort if all you've got access to is OS X though...)

Thanks for taking this up btchris. One approach to getting Python onto OSX is through Homebrew which does simplify things considerably but still requires command line capability from the end user.

tonyClifton13, you may want to refer to this article before digging in: http://docs.python-guide.org/en/latest/starting/install/osx/

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: