Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 11:12:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Now is the time to go all-in with maximum leverage  (Read 4004 times)
Dafar
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

dafar consulting

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 08:44:11 PM

I sold both kidneys yesterday and used the cash to leverage up 20x on bitcoin

What does leverage up 20x on bitcoin mean?

I understand what plain simple buying bitcoins means, but what's leverage?

edit

I looked it up in the dictionary, which said

Investing with borrowed money as a way to amplify potential gains (at the risk of greater losses)

Is that all it means, buying bitcoins with borrowed money?

Came here to ask this... what the fuck are you douche bags talking about? Just throwing in buzz words to sound smart?

███████████
███████████████
█████████████████████
█████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
███████████████░████░░███████████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░░██████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░███████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████
███████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████████
██████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████
██████████
|
|
|
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 09:04:04 PM

leverage in simple terms: you want to go long leveraged x10, you give the exchange your $1000 and they buy bitcoins for you with borrowed $10,000. You are free to sell whenever you want, so you get x10 profits if bitcoins go up (you return 10k when you sell, obviously). With one catch - if "your" bitcoins value ever goes down to $9000, it will be sold immediately (usually a little bit earlier to account for slippage), so exchange will have their 10,000 back (9k from sell plus your initial investment).

So, while lucrative to make more money than your deposit otherwise allows, it is *extremely* risky and *extremely* stupid in a volatile markets such as this one. Your deposit will get wiped ("margin call"ed), sooner or later. Don't do it.

If you just buy, i.e. leverage = 1, you can easily live through prices dropping to $1 per coin and come back a winner. With x20 leverage, you will lose all when the prices drop 5%. It is not much different from taking all your money and throwing them at red in roulette several times in a row.

i am satoshi
zakalwe

Activity: 445
Merit: 251

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 09:09:37 PM

leverage in simple terms: you want to go long leveraged x10, you give the exchange your $1000 and they buy bitcoins for you with borrowed $10,000. You are free to sell whenever you want, so you get x10 profits if bitcoins go up (you return 10k when you sell, obviously). With one catch - if "your" bitcoins value ever goes down to $9000, it will be sold immediately (usually a little bit earlier to account for slippage), so exchange will have their 10,000 back (9k from sell plus your initial investment).

So, while lucrative to make more money than your deposit otherwise allows, it is *extremely* risky and *extremely* stupid in a volatile markets such as this one. Your deposit will get wiped ("margin call"ed), sooner or later. Don't do it.

If you just buy, i.e. leverage = 1, you can easily live through prices dropping to $1 per coin and come back a winner. With x20 leverage, you will lose all when the prices drop 5%.

The best and wise advice I have seen on this thread since 2011.

And in this sea of bullshit, trolls, and worthless human being writing here, it deserves a major attention. Well wrote.
otto93

Activity: 216
Merit: 10

Live, Hope, Win

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 09:16:32 PM

If you just buy, i.e. leverage = 1, you can easily live through prices dropping to $1 per coin and come back a winner. With x20 leverage, you will lose all when the prices drop 5%.

And in this sea of bullshit, trolls, and worthless human being writing here, it deserves a major attention. Well wrote.

Thanks for the great explanation and advice. Is margins getting called part of the reason for those huge drops straight down in price that happen every now and again?

nakaone

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 10:06:13 PM

Thanks for the great explanation and advice. Is margins getting called part of the reason for those huge drops straight down in price that happen every now and again?

guys no matter what your objectives and interest in bitcoin is - please do follow this advice.

the moment any serious investors sees that a market is mostly driven by this kind of investment, he does not walk away he RUNS.

edit: is there a good overview about the use of these instruments in bitcoin sphere? I heard some strange stories from china.
podyx
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 1035

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 10:42:08 PM
Last edit: October 08, 2014, 11:14:35 PM by podyx

If you just buy, i.e. leverage = 1, you can easily live through prices dropping to $1 per coin and come back a winner. With x20 leverage, you will lose all when the prices drop 5%. It is not much different from taking all your money and throwing them at red in roulette several times in a row.

In that case it sounds good to go with x3 or x4 leverage
I don't think we'll go below 270
I might also go with a x10 leverage with like $800 if we have a beartrap down to ~$335 after we have gone further up

Also how safe is it to get money out of it?? Don't wanna get goxed if I were to make a killing on that site.
Any details on who owns the site and where he lives?

And if I'm going long, do I need to send dollars or do bitcoin work aswell?
btcxyzzz
Legendary

Activity: 888

Monero - secure, private and untraceable currency.

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2014, 11:33:45 AM

Take a look at the graph from beginning of the year? Is this a turning point? I would say no, we're going to at least 250$ soon.

Token Bubbles – Transforming the ICO Rating and Analysis Space.
blatchcorn (OP)

Activity: 952
Merit: 281

View Profile
October 09, 2014, 11:56:37 AM

I am rich fellas  Cool
piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
October 09, 2014, 03:26:59 PM

And if I'm going long, do I need to send dollars or do bitcoin work aswell?

You borrow dollars to go long on BTC, bitcoins to go short. But even with x4 leverage, imagine the price getting to 300 again, you sit within 10% of your margin call, watching the ticker all day, thinking "maybe I should save remaining 10% now while it's not too late". remember, it's not free money, it's free way to no money.

That is why many forex shops won't even post your leveraged positions to the actual market - they know you will lose sooner or later, so why share your deposit with others? They just take it Smiley

I am rich fellas  Cool

grats blatch, don't forget to stop playing and convert your win into cold-stored bitcoins Wink

i am satoshi
xmasdobo

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 09, 2014, 04:05:02 PM

OP, you should at least remind people to put a wise stop loss. Right now it's 320$ and if support at 275$
won't hold after the consolidation ends, it's going to be a landslide, and max leveraged longs will lose all.
If support at 275$ will hold and a double bottom will form, then it may be worth risking max leverage long.

this battle at $300 reminds me very much of the battle at $3. was the same sentiment, the final border etc, if it gets breached all is lost, and of course it did get breached, and went to $2.22 and many things happened after that...

but my point being - now looking back at that month it seems like we were kids playing in a sandbox. $2 $3 who the hell cares should've just bought you MORONS.

True, it doesnt matter much even if it goes to 100. Future gains are way too big to risk a margin of 100-200 dollars at this point.
derpinheimer
Legendary

Activity: 896

View Profile
October 09, 2014, 04:40:31 PM

I am rich fellas  Cool

Yessir, so far your recommendation in OP would have been a great choice Smiley

Dont forget to take some profit on the way..
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: