Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 05:03:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Safest Cold storage (Quick)  (Read 1817 times)
MakeBelieve (OP)

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 07, 2014, 11:09:53 AM

I've recently moved my cold storage to a hot wallet for a purchase which never went through, I'm looking to make a new cold storage but a quick and easy efficent way. Which is 100% safe from online attacks. I have a spare computer which has been on the internet before and used for a short while but I'm going to be wiping it clean soon.

I don't want to use the Bitcoin core client as it takes me around 3 days to sync and I need to get my coins into cold storage as soon as possible. Whats the quickest, easiest and safest way to do this?

Trezor is out of the question as I see my Bitcoin worth too much to spend 0.2 on it, if I could pay in cash for it I would.

On a mission to make Bitcointalk.org Marketplace a safer place to Buy/Sell/Trade

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Baitty

Activity: 532

Currently held as collateral by monbux

View Profile
October 07, 2014, 11:10:59 AM

There was a site which allowed you to do it quickyl and easily but I'm not sure how safe it is. you can always use the blockchain.info method which seems pretty safe to me.

Currently held as collateral by monbux
BitCoinDream
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1204

The revolution will be digital

View Profile
October 07, 2014, 11:16:55 AM

I've recently moved my cold storage to a hot wallet for a purchase which never went through, I'm looking to make a new cold storage but a quick and easy efficent way. Which is 100% safe from online attacks. I have a spare computer which has been on the internet before and used for a short while but I'm going to be wiping it clean soon.

I don't want to use the Bitcoin core client as it takes me around 3 days to sync and I need to get my coins into cold storage as soon as possible. Whats the quickest, easiest and safest way to do this?

Trezor is out of the question as I see my Bitcoin worth too much to spend 0.2 on it, if I could pay in cash for it I would.

1. Go to blockchain.info.

2. Create a wallet.

3. Download the paper wallet in PDF format and print out. Write the password on it.

4. Send your coins to this address.

5. Remove all digital copies of your blockchain.info password and the PDF.

chennan
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1004

View Profile
October 07, 2014, 11:19:35 AM

Bither wallet can meet your requirement.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=606238.0

bornil267645

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

AltoCenter.com

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2014, 11:49:47 AM

Not bad, but you can also find this feature on coinbase, can't you!?

MakeBelieve (OP)

Activity: 602

View Profile
October 07, 2014, 12:20:09 PM

2. Create a wallet.

3. Download the paper wallet in PDF format and print out. Write the password on it.

Thanks, but this requires me to be online to be able to do it right? So wouldn't this be a flaw and if my computer is infected or is connected to the internet it could be a vunerbility? I have considered doing this but because of this flaw Its stopped me from doing it. I will be doing a clean reinstall of Linux Ubuntu to do this so it should remove all viruses but I'm still concerned about connected to the internet and doing this.

On a mission to make Bitcointalk.org Marketplace a safer place to Buy/Sell/Trade
cryptworld

Activity: 714
Merit: 503

View Profile
October 07, 2014, 12:22:17 PM

Safest is paper wallet
you won't find anything safest
download the paper wallet program in a safe computer and disconnect from internet
after that you can generate many wallets and just use one
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1075

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2014, 12:23:43 PM

If your offline computer has a webcam then you might consider using CIYAM Safe to do 100% "air-gapped" offline tx signing (https://susestudio.com/a/kp8B3G/ciyam-safe).

It is a SUSE distro and is not a "point and click" UI (sorry) but does have instructions and has been in use (by myself and at least a few others) for quite a long time (no bugs have been reported).

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
fryarminer

Activity: 686

View Profile
October 07, 2014, 12:26:39 PM

2. Create a wallet.

Thanks, but this requires me to be online to be able to do it right? So wouldn't this be a flaw and if my computer is infected or is connected to the internet it could be a vunerbility? I have considered doing this but because of this flaw Its stopped me from doing it. I will be doing a clean reinstall of Linux Ubuntu to do this so it should remove all viruses but I'm still concerned about connected to the internet and doing this.

This is probably what you want.

https://bitcoinpaperwallet.com

jabo38
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

mining is so 2012-2013

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2014, 12:37:18 PM

2. Create a wallet.

The easy way to go about that then is to put Ubuntu on a USB.  To be extra safe about viruses or malware then unplug your hard drives (I don't think it is necessary though).  Boot Ubuntu from USB on startup, follow the instructions above.  Afterwards format the USB.  

I don't have a lot of bitcoins, but if I did, I would use blockchain and follow the above steps.  It is pretty easy and from start to finish could be done in under an hour.

Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2014, 12:43:17 PM

On your computer that is not connected to the Internet load vanitygen.

Run it to get public and private addresses.

Save, encrypt the private keys.

Send bitcoins to the public addresses.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1075

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2014, 01:14:02 PM

On your computer that is not connected to the Internet load vanitygen.

If using vanitygen then I'd advise that the "output" be encrypted immediately rather than "appear on the screen" (that could be fatal if there is a camera "over your shoulder").

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
huoiuu

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

★Bitin.io★ - Instant Exchange

View Profile
October 07, 2014, 01:35:26 PM

the  quickest at the same time it is the most unsafe!

Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
October 07, 2014, 01:43:34 PM

I don't want to use the Bitcoin core client as it takes me around 3 days to sync and I need to get my coins into cold storage as soon as possible.

sorry, but ... after 3 months of study ... and 5 months of process : only the bitcoin core is able to work for cold storage without problem.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=763970.msg8608715#msg8608715

because it don't depend from 1 and unique developper.

because, it's the only way that bitcoin network work ... from miners using the bitcoinj (in pool server) or nodes (like me) using a "always on" bitcoin core.

and compared to the hell of administration of a bank, dedicated PC running ON 24h/24 with a bitcoin core in "nodes" command is not a big deal (the 25go ... too).

you can run this bitcoin core on a 100 USD portable PC loosed is the WC if you want ... behind the rool paper  Grin
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4623

View Profile
October 07, 2014, 02:22:31 PM

bitaddress.org is open source and has been reviewed by several developers.

You can download the webpage and then transfer it to your offline computer to generate as many addresses as you like.

Also note, if you are just using Bitcoin Core (bitcoin-qt) to generate cold storage addresses, then you don't need to wait for it to synchronize.  You can install it on an offline computer and leave it permanently disconnected from the internet.  You can then generate as many addresses and/or wallets with it as you like.  Just make sure you keep good backups.
ObscureBean
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2014, 03:21:13 PM

I think Coinbase's new feature, the Vault, is as safe as it gets in terms of online storage services. The only thing is, it takes 48 hrs to withdraw your BTC so if you need to access your BTC urgently, it would be a problem. But then again this cold storage service is really meant for big amounts of Bitcoin. Why don't you just save your encrypted wallet.dat file on a pendrive? Instead of using the Bitcoin core client, you could use Multibit or something. That would be pretty safe.
cryptworld

Activity: 714
Merit: 503

View Profile
October 07, 2014, 03:33:57 PM

I think Coinbase's new feature, the Vault, is as safe as it gets in terms of online storage services. The only thing is, it takes 48 hrs to withdraw your BTC so if you need to access your BTC urgently, it would be a problem. But then again this cold storage service is really meant for big amounts of Bitcoin. Why don't you just save your encrypted wallet.dat file on a pendrive? Instead of using the Bitcoin core client, you could use Multibit or something. That would be pretty safe.
I would never trust more in an online service that in a paper wallet under your control
would you store there 100 btc?
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
October 07, 2014, 03:48:04 PM

Go to localbitcoins.com (or coinbase or circle). Use your cash to buy 0.2 BTC. Buy a trezor.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
ObscureBean
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2014, 03:55:18 PM

I would never trust more in an online service that in a paper wallet under your control
would you store there 100 btc?

Well an online service is the best option if you travel a lot and would like to have access to your Bitcoin anywhere. I mean you could carry your laptop around with you but that's just too much hassle for me, plus you'd still be at risk. Also Coinbase is actually insured against theft and hacking  Smiley
vit1988

Activity: 313
Merit: 250

i ♥ coinichiwa

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2014, 06:57:42 PM

bitaddress.org is open source and has been reviewed by several developers.

Absolutely this.
- Go to https://www.bitaddress.org
- Press [Ctrl] + [S ]
- Choose the "HTML only" option
- Save the file on a USB drive and copy it to your offline computer.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: