Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 10:22:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [BUG] Wrong balance displayed  (Read 1247 times)
Bitsky (OP)

Activity: 576
Merit: 514

View Profile
May 12, 2012, 02:00:28 PM

I've been playing around with pywallet and dumped a private key of one of my addresses. Then I imported it into a brand new wallet and ran a rescan which worked just fine. From that wallet, I sent everything to a new address in my main wallet (via the newest client), closed the client and started my old client with a rescan again which ended up with a "Payment to yourself" entry. Looking at the transaction details, the debit and credit values are identical, without any fees.

At that point I noticed that my balance was less than before.

So I started a XP machine without network and opened the backup wallet and the current wallet in the 0.6.2 client (without a blockchain). The difference is exactly 0.018btc.

To investigate this, I exported all transactions of both wallets into two csv files, opened them in a spreadsheet and summed up the transactions: both results are identical, not missing the 0.018btc.

It seems like the client has a bug when it sums up transactions which contain a transaction to yourself. Also, it does not display the receiving address/account, making it impossible to keep track of the target. Even if I search for the address I sent the coins to in the transaction list there are no results. However blockexplorer.com/blockchain.info show the address; it would be really handy to have the official client diplay it too.

Bounty: Earn up to 68.7 BTC
Like my post? Feel free to drop a tip to 1BitskyZbfR4irjyXDaGAM2wYKQknwX36Y
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SomeoneWeird

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 12, 2012, 02:18:10 PM

I've been playing around with pywallet and dumped a private key of one of my addresses. Then I imported it into a brand new wallet and ran a rescan which worked just fine. From that wallet, I sent everything to a new address in my main wallet (via the newest client), closed the client and started my old client with a rescan again which ended up with a "Payment to yourself" entry. Looking at the transaction details, the debit and credit values are identical, without any fees.

At that point I noticed that my balance was less than before.

So I started a XP machine without network and opened the backup wallet and the current wallet in the 0.6.2 client (without a blockchain). The difference is exactly 0.018btc.

To investigate this, I exported all transactions of both wallets into two csv files, opened them in a spreadsheet and summed up the transactions: both results are identical, not missing the 0.018btc.

It seems like the client has a bug when it sums up transactions which contain a transaction to yourself. Also, it does not display the receiving address/account, making it impossible to keep track of the target. Even if I search for the address I sent the coins to in the transaction list there are no results. However blockexplorer.com/blockchain.info show the address; it would be really handy to have the official client diplay it too.

Make sure you have all the blocks in your client.
Bitsky (OP)

View Profile
May 12, 2012, 02:28:57 PM

Blockcount doesn't really matter. As said, I checked without a blockchain and network access. The sums are just listed as unconfirmed instead.

SomeoneWeird

View Profile
May 12, 2012, 03:32:41 PM

Blockcount doesn't really matter. As said, I checked without a blockchain and network access. The sums are just listed as unconfirmed instead.

It does matter.
Gavin Andresen
Legendary
qt

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2012, 03:52:00 PM

Do you get different answers for 'getbalance'  versus 'getbalance "*"' ?

There is a longstanding issue with they way unconfirmed transactions are counted that might be the source of your problem:
  https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/172

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
Bitsky (OP)

View Profile
May 12, 2012, 05:18:44 PM

getbalance() returns the wrong balance, lacking 0.018btc in my case
getbalance("*") returns the correct value, just like summing everything up in a spreadsheet does

getbalance and getbalance '*' can return different amounts for 0-confirmation transactions, because of the way change transactions are counted.
However, the blockchain is up to date and the transaction is confirmed.

Since I wasn't too clear about it in my first post, I sent more than the 0.018btc. Sorry if that caused a confusion.

Is "(n/a)" instead of the target address in the transaction window normal?

SomeoneWeird

View Profile
May 13, 2012, 12:43:23 AM

getbalance() returns the wrong balance, lacking 0.018btc in my case
getbalance("*") returns the correct value, just like summing everything up in a spreadsheet does

getbalance and getbalance '*' can return different amounts for 0-confirmation transactions, because of the way change transactions are counted.
However, the blockchain is up to date and the transaction is confirmed.

Since I wasn't too clear about it in my first post, I sent more than the 0.018btc. Sorry if that caused a confusion.

Is "(n/a)" instead of the target address in the transaction window normal?

I'm not really sure about how the different accounts in a wallet work but maybe that's your problem.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: