Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 06:01:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mycelium 2.0 HD - Welcome to the future  (Read 16574 times)
Rassah (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2014, 02:38:54 PM

Address reuse is not for me
    So I am waiting for HD
    For even greater satisfaction
    I want to label my transaction
    And then there is a third temptation
    Cold spend with zero confirmation

That's why I beg you, please:
    Release!
    -- Jan Dreske (Mycelium Developer anxious to get this thing out to the public)

Over the summer the Mycelium dev team has been working hard to make Mycelium 2.0 a reality. Our 200+ beta testers have given us great feedback and today, our biggest and most significant wallet update has finally been released for everyone.

Direct download: https://mycelium.com/bitcoinwallet
On Google Play we use staged rollout, where it is released gradually over the next few days: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mycelium.wallet

New Features:

* Added support for BIP32/BIP44 compliant HD accounts based on a single master seed
* A much simpler backup that uses a word list to backup all your HD accounts (BIP39)
* No more address reuse, which greatly increases privacy
* You can label transactions in transaction history
* Transactions can be created with poor or no internet connectivity, and be broadcast later
* You can now have unlimited number of watch-only addresses
* Cold Storage spending now let's you spend unconfirmed inputs

What does HD mean?

HD is short for Hierarchical Deterministic. Typically, bitcoin wallets generate each new bitcoin address from a unique random number, requiring a separate backup of each new address. To avoid losses from lack of backups, such wallets use a single bitcoin address for all your transactions. HD wallets instead use a “master seed” (a single large random number), to derive all future bitcoin addresses sequentially from that single seed. This means that you only need to make a backup once, and all the keys generated by an HD wallet can be restored at any time in the future just from that single master seed. HD wallets greatly improve your privacy by being able to keep generating new addresses. If you use the same address continuously all your transactions will be associated with a single address, and because all bitcoin transactions are public anyone can see what addresses you are sending funds to, and calculate your total balance. With an HD account new addresses are created whenever you send and receive funds, making your transaction activity and total balance very hard to track.

But I liked it the way it was! Will I have to change the way I use it?

All your keys, addresses and address book entries will be retained when you upgrade your app. The tab previously named “Keys” has been renamed to “Accounts.” Your old bitcoin addresses will become single address accounts, and you can continue to use them as before. We do advise that you switch to new HD accounts, though. You will also see your first empty HD account, which you can start using right away.

What about previous backups? Do my old ones still work?

Yes. You can still import keys and addresses you backed up with the previous version of Mycelium Wallet. However, we have removed the ability to create backups of single keys, or create new single addresses accounts. Instead, we advise you to backup your master seed and move your funds to the new HD wallet. As long as you keep your old backups, though, you will be able to recover your legacy accounts using Mycelium. To import a private key, switch to the “Accounts” tab, tap the icon with a key and plus symbol in the upper right corner, and select “Advanced”. Then scan your encrypted private key and enter the password.

Will I be able to continue to use my current Local Trader identity?

Yes. Your Local Trader identity will get carried over to the new version when upgrading along with your private keys.

How do I make a backup?

To create a backup, either tap the “Secure My Funds” button on the main page, or choose “backup” from the menu. You will be shown a list of words, one after the other. Write those words down with pen & paper. You then have to type in the words again, to make sure you got everything right. Store this word list in a safe place! Anybody who obtains this list can access current and future funds in your wallet!
Note: The backup procedure only backs up your HD accounts. Your classic single address accounts are not part of this backup procedure.

How do I restore a backup?

If your phone is lost or damaged you can make a fresh install of the mycelium wallet on a different device. Upon startup, choose “Restore Backup”. Choose 12 as the length of your word list, and let the “password” checkbox unchecked, and proceed to enter your word list. This recreates your master seed and automatically creates and synchronizes your first HD account. It might take some time until your first account is synchronized and the balance updates. If you had more than one account, navigate to the “Accounts” tab, tap the button with a key icon and plus on the upper right corner, and choose “Add HD Account” to re-create your second account, etc. Note: This procedure only restores your HD accounts. To restore your classic accounts you have to manually import each key/address by going to the Accounts tab, click the + button, select Advanced, and then Import. If your previous Mycelium installation had a Local Trader account you can recreate your trader account and data by clicking “Buy/Sell Bitcoins”, select the “My Info” tab, click “Create” and select the account that your local trader identity was associated with.

Can I restore a BIP44 wallet created with other software?

Yes. When you start a fresh install of the app you get the option to restore a backup. You can choose between word lists lengths of 12, 18, or 24 words, and also supply an optional password in accordance with BIP44. This way you can restore all HD accounts generated by other wallets compatible with BIP44 and BIP39. For instance, this allows you to import your TREZOR word list in case your device was lost or damaged so you can quickly move your funds to safety.
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cryptworld

Activity: 714
Merit: 503

View Profile
October 07, 2014, 02:51:16 PM

cool to see another wallet avaiable for hardware wallets like trezor!
I will test it
BitCoinDream
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1204

The revolution will be digital

View Profile
October 07, 2014, 02:53:53 PM

@Rassah Being such an old member of BitcoinTalk, dont u know where these kinda threads belong ? Why do u always post these under Bitcoin Discussion ? This belong to Service Announcement !!!

blatchcorn

Activity: 952
Merit: 281

View Profile
October 07, 2014, 02:57:05 PM

@Rassah Being such an old member of BitcoinTalk, dont u know where these kinda threads belong ? Why do u always post these under Bitcoin Discussion ? This belong to Service Announcement !!!
But it is not a service - it is an app
RustyNomad

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2014, 03:30:14 PM

Well done guys on this release, love the new version.

Been testing it since it was rolled out on beta and thus far not a single problem. Definitely the number one wallet for my phone.
Rassah (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2014, 03:54:31 AM

Being an old member, I know that a lot of people stick to their own favorite sections, and occasionally check the main thread, so I post there in the hopes that some people who may have never heard of Mycelium will see it before it's buried under an avalanche of new topics.
testconpastas2

Activity: 199
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 09, 2014, 11:26:56 AM

I love the way to autocomplete the seed verification to avoid some kind of keylogger, very nice.

Now it  is the BEST android wallet out there

i hope you were thinking about trezor ( host usb)  compatibility, coinshuffle or similar and BitID to become  the PERFECT wallet

Good work guys !

Bitmessage: BM-2DAetLWJBKWHZoPbNCgg5z8jwaPpDYWwd4
gpg key id:C6EF5CE3
apetersson

Activity: 668
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 09, 2014, 01:12:35 PM

i hope you were thinking about trezor ( host usb)  compatibility, coinshuffle or similar and BitID to become  the PERFECT wallet

thanks for the todo list. Bitid is functional, but we need to do some finetuning on the way we derive the actual keypairs from the seed.

coinshuffle is the most complex task out of this list, but the motivation to do it is big.

testconpastas2

Activity: 199
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 09, 2014, 01:52:37 PM

thanks for the todo list. Bitid is functional, but we need to do some finetuning on the way we derive the actual keypairs from the seed.

coinshuffle is the most complex task out of this list, but the motivation to do it is big.

hehe, you're welcome, and I'm glad to hear you  are working to improve it even more .

offtopic: Any ETA for the t-shirts shipping?  my freaky side is looking forward to wear it  Roll Eyes

Bitmessage: BM-2DAetLWJBKWHZoPbNCgg5z8jwaPpDYWwd4
gpg key id:C6EF5CE3
torusJKL

Activity: 619
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 09, 2014, 03:22:33 PM

Sounds like a great update.
As soon as it rolled out to my play store I'll give it a try.

If you find my post useful send some Bitcoin: 167XM1Za8aG9CdbYuHFMpL2kvPsw6uC8da
Bitrated || bitcoin-otc || Moon Bitcoin Faucet
runam0k
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

Touchdown

View Profile
October 10, 2014, 11:45:31 AM

Still Android only?  (Fantastic job tbw.)
trasla

Activity: 707
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 10, 2014, 12:58:41 PM

Still Android only?  (Fantastic job tbw.)

There will eventually be an iOS version.
Planning is in progress.
No details available yet Smiley
Q7

Activity: 448

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2014, 01:12:27 PM

Hmm looks great. I'm so used to android bitcoin wallet by andreas but this looks equally good as well. Nicely done

Rassah (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2014, 02:32:29 AM

Hmm looks great. I'm so used to android bitcoin wallet by andreas but this looks equally good as well. Nicely done

This has cold storage spending that let's you spend directly from a paper wallet (BIP38 encrypted private keys supported as well), and LocalTrader, which is like LocalBitcoin, but built right into your wallet, and much more secure and anonymous.
birr

Activity: 867
Merit: 584

View Profile
October 15, 2014, 07:40:41 PM

BIP38 encrypted private keys supported as well
QR scan only, no text import (nudge, nudge.  You have no idea how this would make my life easier).
Newar
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

https://gliph.me/hUF

View Profile
October 16, 2014, 02:45:33 AM

[...]
 LocalTrader, which is like LocalBitcoin, but built right into your wallet, and much more secure and anonymous.

Any thoughts on expanding LocalTrader, so it could offer functionality similar to i.e. bitpay? https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=293472.msg9177218#msg9177218

OTC rating | GPG keyid 1DC91318EE785FDE | Gliph: lightning bicycle tree music | Mycelium, a swift & secure Bitcoin client for Android | LocalBitcoins
mskryxz

Activity: 433

View Profile
October 16, 2014, 10:01:10 PM

Lovin Mycelium 2.0
ffe

Activity: 308

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 05:18:18 AM

* Added support for BIP32/BIP44 compliant HD accounts based on a single master seed
* A much simpler backup that uses a word list to backup all your HD accounts (BIP39)

Has anyone tried taking the 12 word backup between Breadwallet(for iPhone) and Mycelium?

I can't seem to get it to work. I have a BIP32/BIP44 wallet on Breadwallet and I have the 12 word BIP39 backup. I downloaded a fresh Mycelium and asked it to restore from those 12 words. It shows as a zero balance wallet with a different receive address than the first one that was shown by Breadwallet.

Any ideas? compressed vs uncompressed? Anything else?
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
October 18, 2014, 03:01:43 PM

Does the HD wallet use compressed keys? As in, the private keys start with the letters L or K?

runam0k
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

Touchdown

View Profile
October 18, 2014, 03:31:53 PM

The transactions tab used to show the to/from address(es) and, more importantly, any custom labels. What happened or where do I need to look now?

For example, I get dividends from a particular BTC address, so it was always handy to look at the list of transactions and see "xyz div" under the relevant payments.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: