Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 08:29:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Question?  (Read 2544 times)
btcallday (OP)

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 07, 2014, 05:38:57 PM

I have a bitcoin core wallet which says it is 1 year 49 weeks behind, how long on a I7 3.8ghz 64bit quad core until it is no longer behind?

I figured it would have to catch up until it finally finds the deposit I made into the wallet in that app?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 07, 2014, 05:41:52 PM

with good cpu and internet connection whole sync takes few hours
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
October 07, 2014, 05:51:34 PM

It is also worth noting that how many peer connections you have is a variable. If you are using this on a home network then you may not see more than 8 peers. But it is going to take a while. X Days? Once it has synced you will miss the blockchain download. It really does almost nothing you can see after that. lol

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
smoothrunnings

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 07, 2014, 06:03:04 PM

I have a bitcoin core wallet which says it is 1 year 49 weeks behind, how long on a I7 3.8ghz 64bit quad core until it is no longer behind?

I figured it would have to catch up until it finally finds the deposit I made into the wallet in that app?

It will take a while to download. With my i7 and 100Meg internet it still takes me about a day and half to download bitcoin data doing it from scratch, which if I remember is about 340 days I think.
btchris

Activity: 672
Merit: 504

a.k.a. gurnec on GitHub

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2014, 07:35:34 PM

With it being that far behind, it would almost certainly be faster to delete the blocks and chainstate directories and start from scratch with a bootstrap file.

(Bootstrap info is here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=145386.0; latest available bootstrap torrent is Armory's, and a link to it can be found here: https://s3.amazonaws.com/bitcoinarmory-media/announce.txt)
drmundo

Activity: 42

View Profile
October 07, 2014, 08:07:54 PM

Its better to keep your coins that dont dowload the whole blockchain you missed.
mezmerizer9

Activity: 782
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 07, 2014, 08:09:01 PM

Leave it over the night and It should sync.

███████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████?7?3████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
DECENT
FOUNDATION

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

[D]ecentralized application
[E]liminated third parties
[C]ontent distribution       

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

[E]ncrypted & secure
[N]o borders
[T]imeless reputation 

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

ChuckBuck

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2014, 09:37:06 PM

If you're installing Bitcoin Core for the very first time, it takes about 6-8 hours for the entire blockchain with decent CPU and fast, stable internet.

Like others are saying, install it at night, let it sync, and when you wake up and check on it it should be fully downloaded and synced.

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
ColdScam
gogxmagog
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1009

Ad maiora!

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 12:02:09 AM

If you're installing Bitcoin Core for the very first time, it takes about 6-8 hours for the entire blockchain with decent CPU and fast, stable internet.

Like others are saying, install it at night, let it sync, and when you wake up and check on it it should be fully downloaded and synced.

It can take days...I installed bitcoin-q from scratch on a new computer 2 weeks ago and it took over a week. once it is synched your transactions should show up, although doing this makes me uncomfortable (OCD)

If you do not have bitcoin core set up and synched, and you absolutely must do a transaction right away, try something like multibit. It does not need the whole core synched to work. there are torrents that have the core all downloaded and ready to go, but I do not have the necessary skills to determine if they are corrupt or not. could be full of malwares  Embarrassed

tl;dr my advice; be patient, if you cant, get multibit.
cookiemonsterwhat

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 12:09:40 AM

good luck catching up with the block chain lol.
btchris

Activity: 672
Merit: 504

a.k.a. gurnec on GitHub

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2014, 12:12:24 AM

It can take days...I installed bitcoin-q from scratch on a new computer 2 weeks ago and it took over a week. once it is synched your transactions should show up, although doing this makes me uncomfortable (OCD)

I've had experiences go both ways, using the same PC and ISP. Part of the problem is that blocks are only downloaded from a single peer, and connecting to a peer with a good (or poor) upload capacity is pretty much a matter of luck. (There are plans to improve on this.)

If you do not have bitcoin core set up and synched, and you absolutely must do a transaction right away, try something like multibit. It does not need the whole core synched to work. there are torrents that have the core all downloaded and ready to go, but I do not have the necessary skills to determine if they are corrupt or not. could be full of malwares  Embarrassed

No arguments with respect to MultiBit, but you don't have anything to worry about when it comes to downloading a bootstrap.dat file (it's just a data file, not something you "install"). For more details on why it's safe, take a look at the thread I mentioned earlier.
btcallday (OP)

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 03:12:01 AM

Good CPU, not so emphatic about the peers I'm connecting to. Since then it's only at 1 year 18 weeks, does that mean it will be a few days until it catches up and my Btc in my wallet show up?
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2014, 08:58:59 AM

Good CPU, not so emphatic about the peers I'm connecting to. Since then it's only at 1 year 18 weeks, does that mean it will be a few days until it catches up and my Btc in my wallet show up?

The bottleneck when syncing is almost never your CPU. An old single core 1 GHz CPU cant handle the load, but most modern CPUs are perfectly fine with it. Even the network connection is not the problem in most cases. Because you only sync with a single node, this specific connection is your bottleneck. To improve the chance of a "good" node use addnode IP add to add some nodes to your peers list and restart bitcoin core if the speed breaks down (see the build in network monitor).

List of IPs:

Code:
last updated 2014.10.07

IP               - location             - owner*  -  speed      - info/stats page**

84.200.34.113    - Freinsheim, DE, EU   - Newar   - 1000 mbit/s - yes
213.165.91.169   - Germany, EU          - shorena -  100 mbit/s - yes
50.7.68.180      - New York, USA        - Newar   -  100 mbit/s - yes
5.9.24.81        - Germany, EU          - zvs     -  unknown    - no
178.79.173.71    - United Kingdom, EU   - zvs     -  unknown    - no
107.155.104.194  - Dalls, USA           - zvs     -  unknown    - no
106.185.32.195   - Japan, Asia          - zvs     -  unknown    - no
94.242.57.173    - Russia, Asia         - zvs     -  unknown    - no

* refers to a bitcointalk.org username
** same IP, port 80

more in the wiki [1] but that list is pretty old.

[1] https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Fallback_Nodes

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Peter882

Activity: 543
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 11:14:11 AM

Using the bootstrap torrent will make the blockchain download much faster, but then the indexing process will still take hours to complete. It is something you need to consider for choosing the bitcoin core.

ChuckBuck

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2014, 12:20:46 PM

Hmm, I've installed it twice in the past year, it never took me days.

Maybe it's your provider or connection related.

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
ColdScam
btcallday (OP)

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 07:19:31 PM

The bottleneck when syncing is almost never your CPU. An old single core 1 GHz CPU cant handle the load, but most modern CPUs are perfectly fine with it. Even the network connection is not the problem in most cases. Because you only sync with a single node, this specific connection is your bottleneck. To improve the chance of a "good" node use addnode IP add to add some nodes to your peers list and restart bitcoin core if the speed breaks down (see the build in network monitor).

List of IPs:

Code:
last updated 2014.10.07

IP               - location             - owner*  -  speed      - info/stats page**

84.200.34.113    - Freinsheim, DE, EU   - Newar   - 1000 mbit/s - yes
213.165.91.169   - Germany, EU          - shorena -  100 mbit/s - yes
50.7.68.180      - New York, USA        - Newar   -  100 mbit/s - yes
5.9.24.81        - Germany, EU          - zvs     -  unknown    - no
178.79.173.71    - United Kingdom, EU   - zvs     -  unknown    - no
107.155.104.194  - Dalls, USA           - zvs     -  unknown    - no
106.185.32.195   - Japan, Asia          - zvs     -  unknown    - no
94.242.57.173    - Russia, Asia         - zvs     -  unknown    - no

* refers to a bitcointalk.org username
** same IP, port 80

more in the wiki [1] but that list is pretty old.

[1] https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Fallback_Nodes

Does this go in "third party transaction urls"? or is there somewhere else I'm missing in bitcoin core?
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2014, 07:24:32 PM

-snip-

Does this go in "third party transaction urls"? or is there somewhere else I'm missing in bitcoin core?

Nope either you use the config file [1] and add lines in the addnode section (dont forget to remove #) or you go
help -> debug window -> console and enter addnode IP add for each of the IPs. You can check with getpeerinfo with which node you are currently syncing (look for syncnode: true

[1] https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Running_Bitcoin#Bitcoin.conf_Configuration_File

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Velkro
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 09:55:03 PM

Don't use bitcoin core, use Multibit instead, a lot faster
btcallday (OP)

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 11:11:23 PM

-snip-

Nope either you use the config file [1] and add lines in the addnode section (dont forget to remove #) or you go
help -> debug window -> console and enter addnode IP add for each of the IPs. You can check with getpeerinfo with which node you are currently syncing (look for syncnode: true

[1] https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Running_Bitcoin#Bitcoin.conf_Configuration_File

Thanks for your help! I'm going to try to add the nodes in a few minutes. It's down to 1 year from 1 year 40 weeks so I may just give it a few days to complete the blockchain.

Don't use bitcoin core, use Multibit instead, a lot faster

Unfortunately I just picked a popular bitcoin wallet, I had used a more responsive one before, and an online wallet as well which used custom passphrases in .jpegs, I was trying to withdraw it to a bitcoin address so I could make a payment to someone, unfortunately it wasn't working so I figured I'd send it to myself first, I just remember the first wallet I had updated the blockchain in an hour instead of days. I'm running a  fairly fast I7 quad core, so the bottleneck is probably the internet, but that is a 6mbit connection, so it's probably the nodes I'm connected to.

I was under the impression that since I already sent it to a particular bitcoin wallet number that I couldn't easily transfer it until the blockchain is complete and it shows a positive balance. The quantity was only 4o bucks worth, it's my fault for being a bit ignorant about the blockchain download process. I'm pretty technically savvy so I'll try and add the nodes.

I don't particularly need the money right away so I may just buy another 40$ in btc and then use multi-bit since I'm probably out of luck until it syncs, is this the correct assumption? I really should have consulted here first. I'm going to download multi-bit and check  it out. Thanks for everyones suggestions, you all have been most helpful!
btcallday (OP)

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 11:20:54 PM

This is the text in my bitcoin conf file, the sample config file in the wiki link is HUGE, mine contains this:

Code:
rpcuser=generated_by_armory

rpcpassword=**string of text and numbers here**

What is the code that needs to be added after the password? I'm sorry for being ignorant of this, I just don't want to corrupt the blockchain I've downloaded so far!

The 'chainstate' folder and the 'blocks' folder in my App Data->Roaming->Bitcoin folder are at 12GB so it's got a fair amount of data since I posted. What is the total size of the blockchain? I may have to start moving stuff off of the C: drive it's loading to as I've only got 15GB or so left!
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: