Bitcoin Forum
June 29, 2024, 09:30:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wallet Password not working  (Read 1167 times)
mrsativa (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 07, 2014, 09:21:51 PM

Fwiw it's not a high technical password and I have a pretty good idea of what it is. I have been reading about some of the brute force techniques but I am lost in even how to begin. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have used pretty much the same password on all my wallets so it cannot be too far from whats in my head. Thankyou for reading
btchris

Activity: 672
Merit: 504

a.k.a. gurnec on GitHub

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2014, 09:43:05 PM

One option is btcrecover, it's a free & open source password recovery tool you could try. You will need to do a bit of reading to get it set up and running though.

If you'd like to try recovering it yourself, the Tutorial and the Quick Start are here: https://github.com/gurnec/btcrecover/blob/master/TUTORIAL.md#btcrecover-tutorial

If you have any questions, feel free to ask (I'm the dev of that tool).

Good luck...
mrsativa (OP)

View Profile
October 07, 2014, 10:37:26 PM

Sweet, thanks, i'm not completely stupid but this is all new to me. I will have some questions i'm sure. Thanks for taking the time to respond,and i'm going to do some reading.
mrsativa (OP)

View Profile
October 07, 2014, 11:28:06 PM

Ok, i'm overwhelmed. I have no clue what i'm doing after the downloads. If anyone can help me get this working ill make a 25$ donation if it's worth it to anyone. I know pretty much all of my password fwiw. This has been in my wallet for months and I got a fine to pay or id donate more.
btchris

Activity: 672
Merit: 504

a.k.a. gurnec on GitHub

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2014, 11:55:59 PM

The important parts are that you can follow Steps 1 (Installation) and 5 (Running btcrecover) from the Tutorial. The other steps I can try to help you out with.

Try to describe everything you remember about your password, and anything you think you may have messed up while typing it in (in other words, any typos you think you may have had). Don't use specifics, e.g. if you know your password contained the word "secret", just substitute in another word in your description.

I'm familiar enough with btcrecover that I can finish the other steps off without too much difficulty (I hope Wink).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: