Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 07:50:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Speculate: Difficulty  (Read 3043 times)
AniceInovation (OP)
Donator

Activity: 446
Merit: 262

Interesting.

View Profile
May 13, 2012, 06:57:39 AM

Hello,

Seems like Difficulty has grown on a steady pace.

At least until BTC reward goes down to half, i think it will grow up to 2500000, then it will go down a considerable amount, until the Bitcoin price reflects the half reward, and then it will grow up again.

In your opinion, what will it be in 6 months?
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 13, 2012, 07:24:48 AM

I'm thinkin diff will fluxuate from 1.5 - 2 million until the halveing.Because when the diff gets too high most miners shut down due to low or no profit.It happened last year..................

After the halveing,BTC price will increase.By how much?? Maybe 40% or so,due to supply & demand.The diff,I'm not sure yet.

Hope I'm right,I'm banking on it  Cool

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
May 13, 2012, 08:50:50 AM

Speculate on difficulty, with bitcoins:

- http://betsofbitco.in/search?q=difficulty

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Cluster2k
Legendary

Activity: 1692
Merit: 1018

View Profile
May 13, 2012, 10:02:52 AM

Many people believe bitcoin's value will go up when the block reward halves.  I think the better question should be, why should it go up just because the reward has halved?  We saw last year that when difficulty was too high (ie. reward too low) that many miners stopped mining and difficulty readjusted itself.  The higher difficulty did nothing to sustain the price, and likewise I postulate that a lower reward (the same as a higher difficulty) doesn't automatically translate to more USD$ per bitcoin.

Bitcoin is just as useful at $1/btc as it is at $10 or $100.  It does the same job.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2012, 10:59:56 AM

Many people believe bitcoin's value will go up when the block reward halves.  I think the better question should be, why should it go up just because the reward has halved?  We saw last year that when difficulty was too high (ie. reward too low) that many miners stopped mining and difficulty readjusted itself.  The higher difficulty did nothing to sustain the price, and likewise I postulate that a lower reward (the same as a higher difficulty) doesn't automatically translate to more USD$ per bitcoin.

Bitcoin is just as useful at $1/btc as it is at $10 or $100.  It does the same job.

It's going to be a lot more awkward to buy a super yacht with coin at $1 than $100.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
dustintrammell
VIP

Activity: 156
Merit: 103

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2012, 12:34:32 PM

Speculators and investors believe that the value of the coins will go up when the reward is halved due to basic supply and demand.  If we assume that demand continues to increase as the Bitcoin economy grows (more merchants, more users), however the rate of increased supply is decreased by 50%, the delta between supply and demand will widen.  When demand outpaces supply, value goes up.

The difficulty to mine blocks is irrelevant as it is self-regulating and will always average out to one new block roughly every 10 minutes, which keeps the rate of supply steady.  What will be changing is the AMOUNT of supply provided at that consistent rate.

Dustin D. Trammell
Twitter: @druidian
PGP: E0DC F55C 9386 1691 A67F FB18 F6D9 5E52 FDA6 6E16
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
May 13, 2012, 12:56:11 PM

Speculators and investors believe that the value of the coins will go up when the reward is halved due to basic supply and demand.  If we assume that demand continues to increase as the Bitcoin economy grows (more merchants, more users), however the rate of increased supply is decreased by 50%, the delta between supply and demand will widen.  When demand outpaces supply, value goes up.

The difficulty to mine blocks is irrelevant as it is self-regulating and will always average out to one new block roughly every 10 minutes, which keeps the rate of supply steady.  What will be changing is the AMOUNT of supply provided at that consistent rate.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

View Profile
May 13, 2012, 06:24:30 PM
Last edit: May 14, 2012, 04:23:05 AM by Stephen Gornick

Clearly, BTC at $1 doesn't support a $2,100,000,000 BTC economy.

You are misusing the term "economy".  I see sometimes the term "market cap" used to describe the number that is the quantity X exchange rate, but neither term really is really accurate.

As a currency, Bitcoin's value is increased when there is demand for its use in transactions.  i.e., how much spending occurs using bitcoins.   If you notice the following chart, you'll see that we are approaching on average 2 million BTCs spent each day now (up from a level a quarter as high just a few months ago):
 - http://blockchain.info/charts/output-volume?timespan=60days&daysAverageString=7

Extrapolated over a month, that would mean 60 millon BTCs spent in a single month, at $5 each = $300 million USD.  Multiply out twelve months and that is nearly a $4 trillion [Edit: oops, ... billion] USD "economy".  Obviously that's the biggest numerical fantasy since Ben Bernanke last opened his mouth.

This "total spending" metric is flawed because Bitcoin doesn't indicate which transaction is a change transaction versus the amount that was truly spent in that transaction.  There are more flaws to calling this number "spending" because, for instance, a party mixing coins is going to create a lot of spending with nearly no net addition to this "economy".   And now with online gambling becoming a more significant portion of transaction activity, the "spending" level means less when 99% of the transaction amount totals are retained by the originating party.  Thus without the funds changing hands some concepts such as "velocity" of money mean different things.

The point I'm trying to make is that the exchange rate isn't the only thing that is used to measure the size of the economy.  A $2.1 trillion [Edit: oops, ... billion] USD economy could exist with a $0.01 BTC/USD even.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 13, 2012, 10:58:31 PM

Obviously a lower reward is only the same as a higher difficulty from each miner's perspective.
From the perspective of bitcoiners as a whole, less coins are being added to the system per unit time - so it's necessary to consider that aspect when thinking about a possible price effect.

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
elux
Legendary

Activity: 1458
Merit: 1006

View Profile
May 14, 2012, 12:52:42 AM

Extrapolated over a month, that would mean 60 millon BTCs spent in a single month, at $5 each = $300 million USD.  
Multiply out twelve months and that is nearly a $4 trillion USD "economy".  

While your general point may be sound, your numbers are not.
Three hundred million times twelve does not four trillion make.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

View Profile
May 14, 2012, 04:06:27 AM

While your general point may be sound, your numbers are not.
Three hundred million times twelve does not four trillion make.

Oops, ... corrected.  Thank you.

It will be interesting to see certain uses for Bitcoin that tend to be high velocity versus those that are not.  For instance, remittance payments sent across borders.  The time lag after bitcoins are purchased, sent, and converted back to fiat by the recipient might be something could occur in just a matter of minutes.  On the other end of the spectrum there will be things like escrows where the funds are committed and thus just sit in a wallet rather than be found criss-crossing the globse.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 14, 2012, 04:56:23 PM

$1/BTC x 21,000,000 = $21,000,000 BTC economy
$10/BTC x 21,000,000 = $210,000,000 BTC economy
$100/BTC x 21,000,000 = $2,100,000,000 BTC economy.

Clearly, BTC at $1 doesn't support a $2,100,000,000 BTC economy.

You're neglecting time and the velocity of money.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
dropt
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 14, 2012, 10:13:18 PM

I only skimmed through, but did any one actually look at the daily transaction volume vs. number of newly minted bitcoins per day?   IIRC the mining only represents a small percentage of the daily trade volume, and that is if each newly mined coin is sold immediately.

TL;DR:  I don't think the reward halving is going to have much effect on the price at all.
blueadept

Activity: 225
Merit: 101

View Profile
May 14, 2012, 11:18:53 PM

It would be interesting to have futures and options not just on Bitcoin price but also on mining difficulty. Also on volatility (like the VIX but for Bitcoin price rather than an index price). Things like this would let miners hedge against difficulty increases and even let merchants in the future pay for security indirectly by betting on a low difficulty (with the miners supplementing their income by betting on high difficulty and mining at a loss, making up the difference with the trades). This of course matters more when fees make up most of the block reward rather than the subsidy.

Like my posts?  Connect with me on LinkedIn and endorse my "Bitcoin" skill.
Decentralized, instant off-chain payments.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

View Profile
May 15, 2012, 03:48:45 AM
Last edit: May 15, 2012, 04:12:44 AM by Stephen Gornick

It would be interesting to have futures and options not just on Bitcoin price but also on mining difficulty.

Well, these essentially do that:
 - http://polimedia.us/bitcoin/mpex.php?mpsic=O.HASH.C10TH
 - http://polimedia.us/bitcoin/mpex.php?mpsic=O.HASH.P10TH

- http://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/MPEx

Also on volatility (like the VIX but for Bitcoin price rather than an index price).

Discussed here:
 - http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=80841.0

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

blueadept

Activity: 225
Merit: 101

View Profile
May 15, 2012, 11:18:32 AM

Ooh, awesome! Noted, thanks Stephen!

Like my posts?  Connect with me on LinkedIn and endorse my "Bitcoin" skill.
Decentralized, instant off-chain payments.
realnowhereman

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 15, 2012, 12:11:59 PM

The problem is, of course that the market knows that this event is coming, so there is at least the possibility that that reduction of supply has already been priced in.

I suspect that that is exactly the case.  The price might have gone up by then for other reasons (bitcoin price is hardly an essay in stability), but I don't see it happening that any price change will be correlated with the block reward rate halving.

1AAZ4xBHbiCr96nsZJ8jtPkSzsg1CqhwDa
blablahblah

Activity: 775
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 15, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

In 6 months... that would be what, November?
US election time,
the UEFA championship and the Olympics will be a distant memory...
AAPL after the bubble; Facebook a total facepalm,
the world paying for oil in anything but the dollar,
even more Mid East tensions; pissed off troops deserting; OWS doing whatever,
China waking up from its slumber and threatening some military shit,
a tsunami of dollars starts hitting US shores and everybody screams holy-hyper-inflation-f*ck!
More stuff happens with the PIIGS; the Dollar and the Euro battle it out to see who will self-destruct faster...

Meanwhile, Bitcoin continues to meander along at say, $6.50?? Bitcoin is screaming out to early adopters right now, it's just not so obvious from a distance. All this uncertainty means that you could be right, or a huge wave of adoption could conceivably be just round the corner, which pushes the price up to $80 (May 2012 dollars), and the difficulty gets ramped up by a factor of 10. By then everyone will be too busy ripping out each other's eyeballs to notice a decrease in the mine supply.
Raize
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015

View Profile
May 16, 2012, 04:33:05 AM

Speculate on difficulty, with bitcoins:

- http://betsofbitco.in/search?q=difficulty

The main problem with this being the time you have to wait and the lack of liquidity. I agree with a lot of others that indicate that miners really don't have a good way to hedge against significant difficulty increases just as for the longest time, investors didn't have a good way to hedge against significant price decreases. Bitcoinica offered a way to moderately do the latter.
AniceInovation (OP)
Donator

Activity: 446
Merit: 262

Interesting.

View Profile
May 16, 2012, 10:45:46 AM

I have to reiterate.

With the humongous amount of FPGA being sold, difficulty will get a good amount higher.
I now believe we will get more than 4000000 difficulty by the time bitcon reward halves.

After that, GPU miners will leave the bitcoin scene, but not the FPGA miners. The lowest we will see at the beginning of 2013 will be 2000000 difficulty.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: