Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 04:38:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: You, yes you, are part of the problem.  (Read 2849 times)
DieJohnny (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1639
Merit: 1004

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 02:14:58 AM

Now that we can seamlessly convert dollars to bitcoin from most bank accounts and we can spend most everywhere with gyft or bitcoin directly, there is no excuse not to convert your monthly discretionary income into Bitcoin.

To complain about the price and not be moving your spending to bitcoin simply means you have bought into something that you yourself do not understand or support.

Those who hold and those who are without property have ever formed distinct interests in society
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Gallah

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 02:22:57 AM

Each to their own... I guess
nelruk

Activity: 115
Merit: 11

Bitcoin is revolution

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2014, 02:33:08 AM

For meantime still being few companies that accept BTC as a part of payment, will be difficult to ask people the conversion because the one who didn't do say the main problem is shops don't get the coin. But if you're consider yourself a Bitcoin supporter, excuses no more. Lead by doing it.

Bitcoin is revolution. Visit http://bitcoinlandia.net Smiley my personal blog about bitcoin in spanish
PolarPoint

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 02:41:47 AM

OP is assuming everyone here on the forum lives in the U.S. In other parts of the world, things you can buy with bitcoin is still very limited. Does your local supermarket accepts bitcoin?
Useli Violent

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 03:20:26 AM

OP is assuming everyone here on the forum lives in the U.S. In other parts of the world, things you can buy with bitcoin is still very limited. Does your local supermarket accepts bitcoin?

Exactly right. 
Being most people's basic expenses are shelter, fuel, and food - who's landlord or mortgagee accepts bitcoin?
Can you buy gasoline with bitcoin yet?  Don't think so.

██████████ YoBit.net - Cryptocurrency Exchange - Over 350 coins
█████████    <<  ● $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$   >>
██████████    <<  ● Play DICE! Win 1-5 btc just for 5 mins!  >>
vuduchyld

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 03:43:57 AM

Exactly right. 
Being most people's basic expenses are shelter, fuel, and food - who's landlord or mortgagee accepts bitcoin?
Can you buy gasoline with bitcoin yet?  Don't think so.

Interesting that you mention gasoline.  I have on many occasions touted gasoline as the ULTIMATE use case for bitcoin.

Typically, store owners pay huge fees on those transactions.  Like, their fees can easily equal their profit margins.  Bitcoin could, theoretically, dominate gasoline purchases because of the FAR lower transaction costs.
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 04:22:52 AM

Now that we can seamlessly convert dollars to bitcoin from most bank accounts and we can spend most everywhere with gyft or bitcoin directly, there is no excuse not to convert your monthly discretionary income into Bitcoin.
Don't be silly. Most places DON'T accept bitcoin.

desticy

Activity: 1512
Merit: 292

www.cd3d.app

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 04:47:20 AM

Many businesses support Bitcoin payments, They pricing are based on Bitcoin price instead of Bitcoin.

Cluster2k
Legendary

Activity: 1692
Merit: 1018

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 04:54:49 AM

The one good thing about the falling bitcoin price is that it will encourage people to spend it.  Previously when people were watching the price rocket upwards in a seemingly one way trend it was silly to spend bitcoins unless you absolutely had to.

As for spending bitcoins 'most everywhere', bitcoins represent 0% of my yearly discretionary spending.  The local supermarkets, hardware stores, computer stores, sports stores, etc do not take bitcoin and it's not possible to buy gift cards using bitcoins for those stores either.  Most people live outside the USA.
money420weed

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 05:48:54 AM

I would disagree. There are a very large number of merchants that either directly, or indirectly accept bitcoi payments. Many places that accept bitcoin indirectly do so via gyft. I would say that, based on total transaction volume of the merchants, you can spend bitcoin at majority of places
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 06:26:25 AM

I would disagree. There are a very large number of merchants that either directly, or indirectly accept bitcoi payments. Many places that accept bitcoin indirectly do so via gyft. I would say that, based on total transaction volume of then merchants, you can spend bitcoin at majority of places

So let's see now....

Mortgage/rent. NO
Council tax. NO
Weekly food shop. NO
Electricity. NO
Water. NO
Gas. NO
Car fuel. NO
Car parts/repairs. NO
Various insurances. NO
Phone/internet. NO
Local pub for drink. NO
99.99% of friends, in private transactions. NO

Tell me again why I would want to convert all my wages to bitcoin?

Francesca

Activity: 36

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 07:31:14 AM

I trade Bitcoin as stock, in fact no one wants to buy goods by btc, just make money.
Wandererfromthenorth

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 08:11:32 AM
Last edit: October 08, 2014, 07:52:36 PM by Wandererfromthenorth

Let me translate your first post real quick:

"Even though buying BTC to spend them around is dumb, has no purpose (unless it's drugs on tor markets) and people can lose a lot of money and purchasing power in a short period of time doing it, they should do it anyway because I want to get rich quick".

That's pretty much what you just said.
Bitco¡n

Activity: 53

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 08:46:28 AM

In the UK, you can pretty much buy anything indirectly with bitcoin (Including groceries, petrol and, clothes) using places like...

http://cryptodechange.com/
  http://pock.io/
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 09:00:51 AM

In the UK, you can pretty much buy anything indirectly with bitcoin (Including groceries, petrol and, clothes) using places like...

So I convert my wages to bitcoin, then convert them to gift cards, then go shopping.

Why?

JimboToronto
Legendary

Activity: 4004
Merit: 4465

You're never too old to think young.

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 10:18:58 AM

Does the USA really have that much market penetration?

I thought it was more accepted in places like Germany and Canada.
sgbett
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1087

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 10:25:47 AM

I'm moving to another country (srsly) that is more BTC friendly, does that count  Grin

"A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution" - Satoshi Nakamoto
*my posts are not investment advice*
JimboToronto
Legendary

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 10:26:06 AM

So I convert my wages to bitcoin, then convert them to gift cards, then go shopping.

Why?

Cavirtex offers a debit card for use at POS, ATMs etc.
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 10:49:45 AM

Why?

Cavirtex offers a debit card for use at POS, ATMs etc.

1. I'm not a Canadian citizen.
2. I might as well use my existing debit card my wages go into.
3. Didn't answer my question of why?

JimboToronto
Legendary

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 11:05:37 AM

why?

You might prefer to keep your funds in Bitcoin for security, privacy or other reasons.

The card just adds convenience.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: