Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 04:14:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Increasing the block size is a good idea; 50%/year is probably too aggressive  (Read 14267 times)
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2014, 07:30:12 PM

I'd welcome comments / criticism of why having such a feedback mechanism is a good or bad idea.

As with the proposal I offered, this proposal has the virtue of expanding MAX_BLOCK_SIZE when it is in demand, and contracting if fees are not sufficient to support the network (so that fees will rise).

Some issues for examination:
Previous block size:
In its simplest form the tdrja proposal the block size of previous epochs aren't factored.  This makes MAX_BLOCK_SIZE subject to rapid switching which as tdrja mentions could be cured by hysteresis, or also (new suggestion borrowed from my proposal) by having the MAX_BLOCK_SIZE a product of previous MAX_BLOCK_SIZE, modified by the tdryja proposed transaction fee metric (so a % increase/decrease).  The rapid switching may be problematic if some event stimulates a desire in many decentralized miners to radically reduce block size limit in order to restrain commerce during an event.  (It doesn't take a conspiracy, a single factor influencing miners in aggregate can do this.)

Coinbase Fee
As mentioned I like the tdrja proposal for its simplicity so I'd look ways to keep that virtue.  Still, if transaction fees are the primary metric, it would seem there may be some peril in ignoring the coinbase entirely due to it's impact on mining in the early years.  It is currently about 300x the transaction fee and so it almost entirely supports the mining effort.

There may be a way of using the coinbase fee also in this calculation, but treated differently.  The coinbase fee primarily serves the emission and distribution functions, but also stimulates adoption in the early years.  It might be used as a way of amplifying the metric in the early years (when lack of adoption is a significant existential risk, and percentage growth is presumably higher) and then let this effect subside in later years by some form of multiplying by (Coinbase)-1/2

Currently the cost per transaction, with the coinbase included, is often higher than the transacted amount.  Such transactions would not occur without the coinbase, so a way to accomodate for what this proposal would mean (because we would be unlikely to have any meaninful MAX_BLOCK_SIZE increases so long as coinbase transactions are the funding source for the network.

It would be good to increase MAX_BLOCK_SIZE long before the coinbase reward is no longer the driving force of network growth.

Squeezing out arbitrariness
There isn't much in the tdrja proposal which is arbitrarily declared by decree (fiat) other than the allocation of "What should it cost to run the bitcoin network?"
We have some indication of this from the hash rate and the total fees.  Currently total fees (coinbase and transaction) are stimulating growth in difficulty even in declining markets.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
tdryja

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 18, 2014, 10:04:38 PM

David Rabahy:
I generally try not to think in dollar terms about the economic issues in Bitcoin.  If there is a feedback system such that block rewards from tx fees tends towards 1BTC / block, the blocks could potentially be quite large; 100MB/block, or with your estimates 179,000 transaction, at a cost of 5.5 uBTC per tx.  More transactions trying to fit into a 100MB block will tend to push up the per tx fee, which would to expand the max block size to say 110MB, which pushes the fees per tx back down such that the new 110MB blocks are just about full of txs at a 5.4 uBTC / tx fee, still earning 1BTC per block.

trout:
I address this in my initial post and go into detail below.

2112:
I've thought about the same set of changes, and have decided that it's probably too much of a change to practically push through into Bitcoin.  Something where the miner of block n gets 1/2 the tx fees, and the miner of block n+10 gets the other half would both incent inclusion of high-fee transactions, as well as eliminate the risk that miners would pay fees to themselves.  Such a fundamental change however is probably impractical, as it would be dismissed by many as "not Bitcoin".  Integrating something like p2pool is also quite complex and will be viewed as too risky.

NewLiberty:
I wasn't clear enough about this in my post, but I meant that the new epoch's block size to be a function of the previous one, just like the difficulty adjustments.  Difficulty adjustments don't actually care about hash rate, just the time taken for the 2016 block epoch, and a relative difficulty adjustment is made based on the divergence from the two week target.  Similarly, I agree that max block size should use transaction fees as a relative adjustment factor.  I mention bounds of this adjustment below.

-

Simply using median transaction fees per block over the past epoch is hopefully simple and straightforward enough to be accepted by people, and does not have significant incentive problems.

There are two ways this can be 'gamed' by miners.  The way that is most dangerous to the non-mining users of the network would be for miners to artificially limit block sized to a small value, in the hopes that they would profit from high transaction fees.  Doing this requires malicious collusion among miners (in excess of that in a proof-of-idle system which I've written about) and in a situation where most of the miners are trying to harm bitcoin, we're already in much bigger trouble.  In practice miners will grab all the fees they can fit into a block, especially if they know the next miner will do the same.

The more problematic way a malicious miner can 'game' this is by paying fees to itself.  Using thresholds, or the median instead of mean, or some other mathematical way to cut out the outliers may be helpful.  I like using the median block reward -- it's really quite simple and would prevent anyone with <50% of the hash power from accomplishing much.  And the assumption in all of this is that there is no >50% miner. 

If I miner did somehow push the fees and blocksize up, that miner could then publish large blocks in an attempt to spam / DoS the network.  That's the only real threat, and it could be very costly and slow for the miner to accomplish.  Unlike the difficulty adjustment, which is bounded at 0.25X to 4X, the max block size adjustment could have a much tighter bound, like 10%, so that it would take months to double the max block size.

I think this is simple and straightforward enough that miners, developers, and bitcoin users can read it, understand it, and be OK with it.  I also think that it's safe long-term, and doesn't require human intervention once set up, regardless of how computer technology evolves (or fails to) over the next few decades.

Thanks to everyone who's read and commented on this; I actually thought of this a few years ago and mentioned it to people but never had gotten any attention.  My personal opinion is that Gavin's idea of just increase blocks based on a guess of continuance of Moore's law would probably work fine... but I like my idea a little better Smiley  Thanks for the comments.
trout

Activity: 333
Merit: 251

View Profile
October 18, 2014, 11:44:16 PM

yep, median would work much better than the mean, and a group of <50% miners would only have limited power.

However, I don't quite agree with the reliance on no collusion above 50%.
I understand the  premise  that a group of >50% miners can do something much worse:
a doublespend.  But it is not at all the same type of collusion.
Assembling  a group to collude for a doublespend and destroying the credibility
and value of bitcoin in the eyes of the public is one thing, and assembling a group
to push the max block size to infinity, in order  to slowly push out low-bandwidth competitors
from mining, is a very different thing. It seems the latter is much easier.

This said, I find both this and NewLiberty's idea interesting.
trout

Activity: 333

View Profile
October 19, 2014, 02:49:48 AM

.. more about this:
there's actually the opposite kind of manipulation (or rather attack) possible:
empty blocks. Right now they exist but don't hurt anyone; here they would push
the max block size down, hurting the network.
David Rabahy

Activity: 709
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 19, 2014, 03:51:41 AM

A miner that fills a block with self-dealing transactions (for whatever reason; malicious or stupid) is a nuisance or perhaps worse.  Is there a way to reject blocks that contain transaction that haven't appeared on the network yet?  If transactions must appear on the network before they can appear in a block then some other miner might block them before the bad actor and obtain the associated fees undermining the entity attempting to bloat blocks with self-dealing transactions.  I suppose such a bad actor could hold the self-dealing transactions until they have a block ready and then transmit the self-dealing transactions and block out together as close as possible in time in an attempt to minimize the risk of another miner grabbing their fees.

Oh, I wonder; Does a full node have to have enough bandwidth to keep up with both the blocks *and* transactions waiting to be blocked?  If so then my earlier calculation based on just the blocks (and no orphans for that matter) is low.
David Rabahy

View Profile
October 19, 2014, 03:53:59 AM

.. more about this:
there's actually the opposite kind of manipulation (or rather attack) possible:
empty blocks. Right now they exist but don't hurt anyone; here they would push
the max block size down, hurting the network.
Would it be reasonable to reject blocks with too few transactions in them if the pool of transactions waiting is above some threshold?
tdryja

View Profile
October 19, 2014, 04:19:30 AM

trout:
empty blocks are possible now, and not a big deal.  They become very expensive longer term as fees take over the block reward; an empty block could have no or negligible reward.  If the median is used, this attack will have minimal effect on the network, while costing the attacker 1 BTC per empty block.  I don’t think we need to worry about an attack which is very expensive to for the attacker, and has no appreciable effect on the network.

I agree that it may be easier to form a majority cartel if the only thing at stake is block size.  But a majority cartel of miners can pretty much do this anyway; they just tell everyone “Hey guys, the new max block size is 1GB.  We’re all moving our mining power there, you’d best update your clients.

Basically I think worrying about a majority of miners doing something you don’t want them to is beyond the scope of the problem.  And if they all want to have huge blocks and put all my transactions in there for free, I for one welcome our new benevolent mining overlords Smiley

David Rabahy:
The idea of only allowing known transactions into a block has been discussed before, but has been found unworkable.  The purpose of the block is to achieve consensus on which transactions have happened.  Presupposing consensus on the set of transactions removes the need for the block.  In other words, if all the miners already agree on what’s going to be in the next block, why bother broadcasting it to each other?

There are different ways to try to make that work, and I’ve discussed it with several people, but I think it’s fundamentally incompatible with Bitcoin’s current consensus system.
NewLiberty
Legendary

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2014, 05:35:17 AM
Last edit: October 19, 2014, 02:32:50 PM by NewLiberty

I'd welcome comments / criticism of why having such a feedback mechanism is a good or bad idea.
There may be a way of using the coinbase fee also in this calculation, but treated differently.  The coinbase fee primarily serves the emission and distribution functions, but also stimulates adoption in the early years.  It might be used as a way of amplifying the metric in the early years (when lack of adoption is a significant existential risk, and percentage growth is presumably higher) and then let this effect subside in later years by some form of multiplying by (Coinbase)-1/2

Currently the cost per transaction, with the coinbase included, is often higher than the transacted amount.  Such transactions would not occur without the coinbase, so a way to accomodate for what this proposal would mean (because we would be unlikely to have any meaninful MAX_BLOCK_SIZE increases so long as coinbase transactions are the funding source for the network.
If I miner did somehow push the fees and blocksize up, that miner could then publish large blocks in an attempt to spam / DoS the network.  That's the only real threat, and it could be very costly and slow for the miner to accomplish.  Unlike the difficulty adjustment, which is bounded at 0.25X to 4X, the max block size adjustment could have a much tighter bound, like 10%, so that it would take months to double the max block size.

Currently the TX fees are way below 1 BTC per block, this will likely continue for quite a while.  It is less than 15 BTC per day in fees.
By including the coinbase fee (or maybe a square or other root of it) we would come closer to Gavin's increase in the early years and move steadily toward a fee supported mining within the next 20 years or so while increasing the MAX_BLOCK_SIZE.

I think this is simple and straightforward enough that miners, developers, and bitcoin users can read it, understand it, and be OK with it.  I also think that it's safe long-term, and doesn't require human intervention once set up, regardless of how computer technology evolves (or fails to) over the next few decades.

yes.

edit:
Another critique of the fee-basis method vs the block size basis might be that the "% of M0 to dedicate to mining" would gradually increase over time as bitcoin are lost/destroyed.  I don't see this as highly important, but may be a source of future refinement if it were ever to become a concern.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
Gavin Andresen
Legendary
qt

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2014, 02:49:09 PM

By including the coinbase fee (or maybe a square or other root of it) we would come closer to Gavin's increase in the early years and move steadily toward a fee supported mining within the next 20 years or so while increasing the MAX_BLOCK_SIZE.

Did you read my "blocksize economics" blog post?

I don't understand why you think MAX_BLOCK_SIZE necessarily has anything to do with "supporting mining" (aka securing the network).

What stops this from happening:

Big miners accept off-blockchain payments from big merchants and exchanges that want their transactions confirmed. They are included in very small blocks with zero fees.  The blocksize stays at 1MB forever.

Lets look at incentives:

Big miners: have cozy agreements with Big Merchants. Those agreements keep the little guys out.

Big Merchants: same thing. The need to get an agreement with a miner to get your transactions accepted is a barrier to entry for the Little Guys.

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
David Rabahy

View Profile
October 19, 2014, 05:08:56 PM

Is there a known functional limit above which MAX_BLOCK_SIZE breaks the code?  Have we ever cranked the MAX_BLOCK_SIZE up on testnet and then deliberately filled a block up with transactions and seen it fail?

Do any instabilities appear when the pool of unconfirmed transactions grows large enough?

Does every transaction eventually get put into a block for sure?  Is it possible for a transaction to hang out in the pool forever?
tdryja

View Profile
October 19, 2014, 05:18:00 PM

I don't understand why you think MAX_BLOCK_SIZE necessarily has anything to do with "supporting mining" (aka securing the network).

I can't speak for NewLiberty, but I have certainly read it, and agree with the majority of what you've written.  The part about "Block Subsidy, Fees, and Blockchain Security" is most relevant here.  I agree that as it stands, there is no guarantee that 1MB blocks would be full of high value transactions, and no guarantee that 1GB blocks would be full enough of low value transactions to secure the network. 

However, if the max block size is linked to the transaction fees, we can at least know that the 1GB block does have sufficient fees, because the size would contract if it didn't.  The other scenario -- a half empty 1MB block with minimal fees on a few large transactions -- implies that Bitcoin has either failed or been superseded, at which point the max block size is not relevant.

Big miners accept off-blockchain payments from big merchants and exchanges that want their transactions confirmed. They are included in very small blocks with zero fees.  The blocksize stays at 1MB forever.

2 things: 1 which stops it from happening, and 1 which means it could happen anyway.

This scenario supposes that 1MB is sufficient to maintain the miner / merchant cartel's transactions, which may not be the case, but is plausible.  What is implausible is that every member of this cartel of miners continues to reject a vast mempool of outsider fee paying transactions.  Thousands of merchants saying "shut up and take my bitcoins! include my tx!" and the miners all say "No!", maintain their cartel, and deny themselves that money?  Or, if they try to on-board these merchants into their cartel, the 1MB block isn't big enough anymore.  Similarly for merchants, are they getting a better deal with the cartel?  If so, great, but why is the cartel being nice to the merchants; it's much more likely that the merchants would hate the cartel and try to get their transactions in a cheaper, independent block.

Why maintain membership in the cartel if you make less money?  One of those two groups (miners, merchants) must be making less money.

This type of cartel is also possible with an open-loop exponential expansion of max block size.  The majority of the miners can stick to 1MB blocks, and reject blocks with transactions not in their cartel.  >50% of miners need to participate in this cartel to effectively push down the median fees.  It doesn't make rational sense (unless megabytes are extremely expensive) in this case either, but if we worry about a malicious majority mining cartel, is still doable.

I think an open-loop larger block size would probably be fine, but it involves a lot of extrapolation.  Maybe computers get way better really fast, and 1GB is laughably small.  Or maybe they stay the same, and 1GB is too large, meaning the networking and storage costs of mining exceed the sha256 costs, centralizing mining.  I think a closed-loop feedback system based on median aggregate transaction fees is able to reduce these risks.
NewLiberty
Legendary

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2014, 06:03:54 PM

yes, I should take this as request for comment in the thread more appropriate for that.

Simply put: It is the supply side of the mining resource which miners are selling.
This should be clear enough.  
I can go into more detail in its thread, tdryja made some decent comments here already.

Big miners accept off-blockchain payments from big merchants and exchanges that want their transactions confirmed. They are included in very small blocks with zero fees.  The blocksize stays at 1MB forever.

Lets look at incentives:

Big miners: have cozy agreements with Big Merchants. Those agreements keep the little guys out.

Big Merchants: same thing. The need to get an agreement with a miner to get your transactions accepted is a barrier to entry for the Little Guys.

The fear of this theoretical arrangement was addressed in tdryja's initial post, and further explained in the latest.
I do agree that any feedback mechanism such as we are seeking with this line of discussion holds the potential for creating a perverse incentive.  

Admittedly there is also a philosophical basis for what may seem like a useless discussion to some since the Chief Scientist of The Bitcoin Foundation has already decided and is seeking to end discussion.  

Consider the existence of a central authority, employed by a member organization with the charter of interfacing with governments.  The Chiefs then take the role of arbitrarily deciding on the supply and adjusting as the organization's economic advisers suggest, we then have progressed towards replicating the Federal Reserve Bank.

It is nothing personal with Gavin, I like you and love what you do.  I think your proposal also could possibly work in the short term, except that it sets a most dangerous precedent.  One risk is certain, and that is that those who come after us will not be us, but it is our hope, and the effort for which we strive mightily, that Bitcoin will still be Bitcoin. It is this which I am hoping to protect by seeking for a way to put this authority on the block chain, and not on the decree of any person now, or in the future.

Both of these risks are theoretical, (a perverse miner/merchant Cartel, and a perverse Central Authority) On balance, the risks of possibly creating perverse incentives by basing decision effecting the monetary support of the network on the evidence provided by the block chain, and decisions by unknown people of the future who may have their own perverse incentives that will be more difficult to observe, I would give the role of this governance to the Bitcoin block chain.  Simple because there it will be exposed and may be seen, and is also a much easier perversity to dislodge.

acoindr
Legendary

Activity: 1050

View Profile
October 19, 2014, 08:04:34 PM

Consider the existence of a central authority, employed by a member organization with the charter of interfacing with governments.  The Chiefs then take the role of arbitrarily deciding on the supply and adjusting as the organization's economic advisers suggest, we then have progressed towards replicating the Federal Reserve Bank.

I completely disagree with this. Believe it or not it's actually not that easy for the Fed to adjust monetary policy. I mean all things considered, it's exceptionally easy, but they still have to get their board to go along and sell the public on what they're doing. That's a task made harder as they try more extraordinary things (like now) and the public becomes more astute to the way money works and its importance (like now), and that's a center driven design.

Bitcoin is designed from the ground up to be the opposite. It's extraordinarily hard to implement changes affecting the whole without consent from the whole. I sincerely believe after a certain point of adoption it will be impossible to make changes to Bitcoin, even ones not so controversial; if there isn't a do or die mandate behind the action (like a break in SHA256) I don't see consensus from millions and millions of independent thinkers coming easily. Somebody's going to think differently for some reason, even if it appears irrational. People call this ossifying of the protocol.

Think how hard this 1MB issue is. There was a time when Satoshi simply told everyone to start running a protocol change without question. He knew there was a severe bug allowing excess coins, but people simply upgraded and now the fork ignoring that block is locked in.

Bitcoin isn't the first to come up with decentralization. That was actually the idea behind America. Instead of power reigning down from monarchs it would be vested within all the individuals. However, the founders even then recognized authority by committee wasn't always ideal. It would be a clear disadvantage if attacked since the battle might be lost before it was decided what to do. That's why the president has full authority to respond militarily in case of attack.

It sounds like you're objecting for reasons more ideological than practical. While that's admirable and understandable I hope you also recognize that's not automatically best given the circumstances.
tl121

Activity: 278

View Profile
October 19, 2014, 08:07:01 PM

KISS:

1. Since technology allows increase to 20 MB per block today, make an increase to this size as soon as consensus and logistics allow.

2. Continue to evaluate the situation based on computer-communications technology growth, transaction growth and observed network behavior.  There will be ample time to make a second hard fork should this become necessary.  (A one time jump  of 20x is equivalent to 40% annual growth for 9 years.)
acoindr
Legendary

View Profile
October 19, 2014, 09:07:53 PM

KISS:

1. Since technology allows increase to 20 MB per block today, make an increase to this size as soon as consensus and logistics allow.

And what if consensus never allows it? Do we never do anything? It seems a lot of people have a "oh just do this" game plan, without really considering things might not work the way they think they will.

It's entirely possible hard and even somewhat messy choices may have to be made with Bitcoin. This is because some people will never be on the page you're trying to get them on, no matter how much conversation occurs.

2. Continue to evaluate the situation ...

Did you not read what I wrote above? I fully expect (as do others) for changes to become harder if not impossible to make as adoption grows. If some tangible solution isn't enacted within a fairly short period of time (meaning before the next bubble of interest and increased adoption) I myself may seriously have to re-evaluate the viability of Bitcoin - not cryptocurrency mind you, just this particular version of Bitcoin.
ElysianBaws

Activity: 48

View Profile
October 19, 2014, 10:35:21 PM

IS THAT THE GAVIN WHO IS NOW IN SATOSHIS POSITION Huh
NewLiberty
Legendary

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2014, 08:23:37 AM

I completely disagree with this. Believe it or not it's actually not that easy for the Fed to adjust monetary policy. I mean all things considered, it's exceptionally easy, but they still have to get their board to go along and sell the public on what they're doing. That's a task made harder as they try more extraordinary things (like now) and the public becomes more astute to the way money works and its importance (like now), and that's a center driven design.

Bitcoin is designed from the ground up to be the opposite. It's extraordinarily hard to implement changes affecting the whole without consent from the whole. I sincerely believe after a certain point of adoption it will be impossible to make changes to Bitcoin, even ones not so controversial; if there isn't a do or die mandate behind the action (like a break in SHA256) I don't see consensus from millions and millions of independent thinkers coming easily. Somebody's going to think differently for some reason, even if it appears irrational. People call this ossifying of the protocol.

Think how hard this 1MB issue is. There was a time when Satoshi simply told everyone to start running a protocol change without question. He knew there was a severe bug allowing excess coins, but people simply upgraded and now the fork ignoring that block is locked in.

Bitcoin isn't the first to come up with decentralization. That was actually the idea behind America. Instead of power reigning down from monarchs it would be vested within all the individuals. However, the founders even then recognized authority by committee wasn't always ideal. It would be a clear disadvantage if attacked since the battle might be lost before it was decided what to do. That's why the president has full authority to respond militarily in case of attack.

It sounds like you're objecting for reasons more ideological than practical. While that's admirable and understandable I hope you also recognize that's not automatically best given the circumstances.

I understand you believe that Bitcoin is doomed to fail because of insufficient central authority.
We disagree.

In any case, even if you were right and such a thing were needed, that should not stop people from offering better ideas to those who are claiming to have authority.
So you are about as wrong as anyone can possibly be, to suggest that just because someone claims authority, that they should make decisions and everyone blindly follow when they see clearly better solutions available. 
Why?
Just for the sake of establishing authorities?

helmax

Activity: 440
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 20, 2014, 02:54:30 PM

i agree with this idea
gavin is correct !

looking job
NewLiberty
Legendary

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2014, 04:46:40 PM

i agree with this idea
gavin is correct !

It would be nice to add some reason for an opinion, or even clarify what it is that you are opining upon.

So you agree that correct about which?  Is it
a) that whomever the Chief Scientist of TBF is at the moment should decide what the MAX_BLOCK_SIZE ought be and hard fork as desired as the new central authority for Bitcoin? or
b) that the past changes in network technology as measured in the first world current user base sufficiently predict the future and should be used as the basis for governing? or
c) acoindr's assertion that central authority is necessary for the survival of bitcoin because meritocracy consensus is doomed to fail?

acoindr
Legendary

View Profile
October 20, 2014, 05:22:37 PM
Last edit: October 20, 2014, 05:39:03 PM by acoindr

I understand you believe that Bitcoin is doomed to fail ...

I never said I believe Bitcoin is doomed to fail, although my questioning it's viability may strengthen with developments. That should be everyone's position, because Bitcoin is an experiment. Those who think Bitcoin is guaranteed to succeed in serving the world are not understanding the situation. This doesn't mean it can't succeed at that, only that it's not guaranteed (how could it be?).

... because of insufficient central authority

My position isn't Bitcoin needs central authority. My position is Bitcoin needs a viable solution. If you read the post I made above you'll see I asked whether the majority community could be convinced to accept Gavin's proposal or one more like what you're crafting. My position was one of adopting a viable solution.

In any case, even if you were right and such a thing were needed, that should not stop people from offering better ideas to those who are claiming to have authority.

Who has claimed any authority? Where? All I see is people putting forth their suggestions.

So you are about as wrong as anyone can possibly be, to suggest that just because someone claims authority, that they should make decisions and everyone blindly follow when they see clearly better solutions available.  
Why?
Just for the sake of establishing authorities?

Like I said above, it seems you're arguing from a position of ideology. You seem to see resolving the block size issue as divided between those who tend toward centralization and those who demand absolute decentralization, even to the point of seeing people establishing positions they haven't. That is the reason I question Bitcoin's viability. It's because people have their own thoughts about how things should work, or how things can work, and even if there is a solution which can work (I'm not saying which) it may not be possible to get everyone to agree, because it's not possible to do a Vulcan mind meld and have everyone understand everyone else's thoughts, conclusions, and informing information. People think differently (and with differing abilities). In the absence of some deciding force (usually a leader or authority as you call it) the result may be no clear decision whatsoever.

I'm simply seeking something which can work, something a majority can agree upon, nothing more.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: