Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 12:34:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Increasing the block size is a good idea; 50%/year is probably too aggressive  (Read 14267 times)
acoindr
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 06:09:29 PM

At worst harder, but not impossible.

LOL are you not following this thread? What easy way forward do you see emerging for the block size issue?

If the ISO can finally manage to crank out C++11, despite the contentious issues and compromises that were ultimately required (and C++14 just two months ago too!), pretty much anything is possible IMO.

That's for a programming language not a protocol. Also see Andreas Antonopoulos's comment on ossification considering hardware, which I also agree with.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
btchris

Activity: 672
Merit: 504

a.k.a. gurnec on GitHub

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2014, 06:55:05 PM

At worst harder, but not impossible.

LOL are you not following this thread? What easy way forward do you see emerging for the block size issue?

Consensus does not imply unanimous appeal. Although threads such as these help to flesh out different ideas and opinions, they do very little towards determining where consensus lies. This thread could represent a vocal majority just as easily as it could a small but vocal minority (on either side).

This is exactly where a more formal governance model (as I mentioned) could help. It too would surely be imperfect, but just about anything would be better than determining consensus based on who writes the most posts, thoughtful though they may be.

A formal governance model could draw distinct conclusions: yes the BIP passed, or no it didn't. If it didn't, it can lead to compromise. If, for example, I knew that there was little support for gavin's version, I for one would be much more willing to compromise. But I simply don't know.... instead, I choose to assume that people who support Bitcoin do so because they support the ideals of a free market, but I could be wrong.

If the ISO can finally manage to crank out C++11, despite the contentious issues and compromises that were ultimately required (and C++14 just two months ago too!), pretty much anything is possible IMO.

That's for a programming language not a protocol. Also see Andreas Antonopoulos's comment on ossification considering hardware, which I also agree with.

I'm having trouble imagining a use case where embedded hardware with difficult-to-update software would connect to the P2P network, much less having anything to do with handling the blockchain, but my imagination isn't all that great. I also have trouble in general with any device whose purpose is highly security related that isn't software upgradeable. (Such things do exist today, and they're equally ill-advised.)
David Rabahy

Activity: 709
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 07:34:40 PM

Another nice big block https://blockchain.info/block-height/326505 came through while we discuss the topic, yet the backlog of transactions https://blockchain.info/unconfirmed-transactions wasn't huge really at some amount just over 4000 (or are we just getting used to such big backlogs?).

We are bumping into the ceiling gentlemen.  It is safe to say we will begin to accumulate a bigger backlog pretty soon, when we start getting multiple blocks in a row near the current 1MB limit.  In my experience, in terms of queuing theory http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queueing_theory, we can expect real signs of trouble as the average block size over a reasonable period of time, e.g. an hour or maybe more like a day, begins to exceed 70% of the maximum.  I'm going to try to build a model using JMT http://jmt.sourceforge.net/.

Perhaps we could two-step our way to the functional maximum.  We need to find the reliable functional maximum via testing.  To give ourselves some time to find it perhaps we could increase MAX_BLOCK_SIZE to the proposed 20MB right away (or as soon as is reasonable) and then work diligently to find the greatest workable maximum and then jump to it when we're ready.
acoindr
Legendary

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 07:39:25 PM

Consensus does not imply unanimous appeal. Although threads such as these help to flesh out different ideas and opinions, they do very little towards determining where consensus lies. This thread could represent a vocal majority just as easily as it could a small but vocal minority (on either side).

I had a complete reply typed out for all your points but my browser closed before I sent it  Cry

Ah well, I'm not re-typing it. The gist is I'm aware of the above, but don't think that's the case. I tend to think those in this part of the forum on this thread have sentiments which are not isolated. If we can gain consensus here we have a good chance in the wider community; if not then who knows, but it would become ever harder with passing time.
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2014, 07:44:43 PM

We have less of a crisis than a request for comment.
Fears over lack of consensus are rhetoric to encourage people to accept shoddy work out of a mistaken sense of urgency.
So far there have been some well considered comments, though the responses by the requesters seem assumptive and tersely dismissive, as if comment were not honestly sought?
Frankly I'd expected better.  This is how science happens.  Peers review proposals, and both experts and consensus must be challenged to accomplish this.
It takes a mere engineer or technician to craft a patch, science produces novel results.  If we reach a crisis ahead of science happening, we can always patch.  Consensus is congealed in crisis, but crisis decisions are often also ill-considered.  For this I am grateful for Gavin's proposal.  I see it as a back-up plan in case these better solutions do not mature.

Richard Feynman in 1966 taught us that:
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." -

Essentially an "expert" may have well formed opinions, and ignore options due to confirmation bias.  Revisiting assumptions often proves valuable.

It is not time that hinders consensus, so much as quality.  The BIPs flow like water when they are solid improvements.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
btchris

a.k.a. gurnec on GitHub

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2014, 07:46:27 PM

I had a complete reply typed out for all your points but my browser closed before I sent it  Cry

Ah well, I'm not re-typing it. The gist is I'm aware of the above, but don't think that's the case. I tend to think those in this part of the forum on this thread have sentiments which are not isolated. If we can gain consensus here we have a good chance in the wider community; if not then who knows, but it would become ever harder with passing time.

Fair enough.

Asside: did you preview your post at any point? It's in your draft history if so...
acoindr
Legendary

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 07:56:37 PM

Asside: did you preview your post at any point? It's in your draft history if so...

Thanks! Never noticed that before. Here is the full reply:

This I know, but tend to think it's not the case. Anyone in this part of the forum, on this thread, probably doesn't have some obscure minority point of view. Whatever the basis for their reasoning it's probably not isolated. I think if we can get some sort of consensus on a thread like this we can too in the wider community. If we can't it would be harder, maybe not impossible, but harder depending how people dug into their positions. The longer the wait the harder. If this were mid 2010 there would likely be zero problem. High profile devs (like Satoshi/Gavin) would simply explain the necessary way forward and the small community would move along. If we're talking 2019 I don't see that happening so easily, or at all actually.

This is exactly where a more formal governance model (as I mentioned) could help. It too would surely be imperfect, but just about anything would be better than determining consensus based on who writes the most posts, thoughtful though they may be.

I'd be in favor of more structure for progress, but you won't convince everybody. There will be purists that cry centralization.

If, for example, I knew that there was little support for gavin's version, I for one would be much more willing to compromise. But I simply don't know....

Yes, I think some sort of poll will be in order at some point. I haven't pushed that yet because I think people still need time to stew with their positions.

I'm having trouble imagining a use case where embedded hardware with difficult-to-update software would connect to the P2P network, much less having anything to do with handling the blockchain, but my imagination isn't all that great. I also have trouble in general with any device whose purpose is highly security related that isn't software upgradeable. (Such things do exist today, and they're equally ill-advised.)

There is always a long tail of technology out into the marketplace. Just because our community is at the cutting edge of technology doesn't mean everyone is. For example, I was surprised to learn of a story in the community I came from (Hacker News) about a very successful business that still ran BASIC. This was used for order fulfillment, accounting, you name it. The business was profitable in the millions if I recall, but completely reliant on their workhorse infrastructure. It wasn't cutting edge, but it worked, and that's all that mattered. A similar story exists in the banking industry.
acoindr
Legendary

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 08:27:33 PM

Fears over lack of consensus are rhetoric to encourage people to accept shoddy work out of a mistaken sense of urgency.

You didn't answer this:

Please tell me if you agree an ossifying of the protocol - the fact it will become increasingly hard, probably impossible to make changes as adoption grows - is what we'll likely see.
btchris

a.k.a. gurnec on GitHub

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2014, 08:32:31 PM

This I know, but tend to think it's not the case. Anyone in this part of the forum, on this thread, probably doesn't have some obscure minority point of view. Whatever the basis for their reasoning it's probably not isolated. I think if we can get some sort of consensus on a thread like this we can too in the wider community. If we can't it would be harder, maybe not impossible, but harder depending how people dug into their positions. The longer the wait the harder. If this were mid 2010 there would likely be zero problem. High profile devs (like Satoshi/Gavin) would simply explain the necessary way forward and the small community would move along. If we're talking 2019 I don't see that happening so easily, or at all actually.

Except for that last clause perhaps, no arguments here.

I'd be in favor of more structure for progress, but you won't convince everybody. There will be purists that cry centralization.

More structure can cut both ways. If done well (big if), it can reduce centralization by better distributing "votes." But you're right that you can't convince everybody.

There is always a long tail of technology out into the marketplace. Just because our community is at the cutting edge of technology doesn't mean everyone is. For example, I was surprised to learn of a story in the community I came from (Hacker News) about a very successful business that still ran BASIC. This was used for order fulfillment, accounting, you name it. The business was profitable in the millions if I recall, but completely reliant on their workhorse infrastructure. It wasn't cutting edge, but it worked, and that's all that mattered. A similar story exists in the banking industry.

My first assignment after college (20ish years ago) was with a defense contractor maintaining a codebase written in... BASIC. In any case, point taken.
acoindr
Legendary

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 08:36:19 PM

More structure can cut both ways. If done well (big if), it can reduce centralization by better distributing "votes." But you're right that you can't convince everybody.

Agreed.
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 10:45:03 PM

It's a free attack for a miner, and can arbitrarily kick anyone off the network (even if temporarily) who doesn't have sufficient bandwidth or ultimately enough disk space.

It's not free. The larger the block, the higher chance it has to be orphaned. No miner is going to inflate his blocks to reduce his chance to win a block race.

Buy & Hold
NewLiberty
Legendary

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2014, 11:18:09 PM

It's a free attack for a miner, and can arbitrarily kick anyone off the network (even if temporarily) who doesn't have sufficient bandwidth or ultimately enough disk space.

It's not free. The larger the block, the higher chance it has to be orphaned. No miner is going to inflate his blocks to reduce his chance to win a block race.
Yes... and the orphan risk rate also decreases with bandwidth availability.
I continue to maintain that market forces can rightsize MAX_BLOCK_SIZE if an algorithm with a feedback mechanism can be introduced, and that doing so introduces both less centralization risk than an arbitrary patch, and less risk of future manual arbitrary adjustments.
Fix it right, fix it once.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
naplam

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

Coin Developer - CrunchPool.com operator

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2014, 11:26:51 PM

I don't know if this has been addressed before in this thread
I don't think adjusting the block size up or down or keeping it the same will have any effect on whether or not transaction fees will be enough to secure the network as the block subsidy goes to zero (and, as I said, I'll ask professional economists what they think).
But it's pretty simple: miners won't mine until they have enough transaction fees in a block to be able to pay what it costs them to mine. You'll have to increase the fees enough or increase adoption enough (more txs) to have a decent enough hashrate for the network to be reasonably secure.

Another side effect is that miners will have more power than they have now, they'll be able to establish cartels and request premiums for fast transactions. Right now we're used to transactions being treated more or less equally and fees being essentially zero, that equal treatment will come to an end. There is no question the block size will need to have been increased by then in order to fit a larger amount of txs; without many more txs than we have now, fees would be pretty high.

Ideally, mass adoption would be enough to keep txs cheap and net hashrate high enough. But I don't think we can expect that to happen while other issues remain unresolved. Bitcoin is not a very good payment system and the average person has no reason to adopt it yet. Some libertarians call for ignoring that and recognising Bitcoin for what it is now and its only strength: circumventing state and bank control over our money. But that is short-sighted too because Bitcoin is not designed to survive that way: without mass adoption it is just a very expensive and clunky trustless way of irreversibly sending money.

naplam

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

Coin Developer - CrunchPool.com operator

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2014, 11:36:20 PM

Yes... and the orphan risk rate also decreases with bandwidth availability.
I continue to maintain that market forces can rightsize MAX_BLOCK_SIZE if an algorithm with a feedback mechanism can be introduced, and that doing so introduces both less centralization risk than an arbitrary patch, and less risk of future manual arbitrary adjustments.
Yeah, something that looks at block sizes over a past period of time to determine the next max block size for a certain period would be ok for example.

Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 12:15:18 AM

Yeah, something that looks at block sizes over a past period of time to determine the next max block size for a certain period would be ok for example.

Any feedback loop can be gamed. You might as well just pick a fixed +xx% per year and be done with it.

Buy & Hold
Gavin Andresen
Legendary
qt

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2014, 01:50:34 PM

I think you are confusing MAX_BLOCKSIZE with the floating, whatever-the market-demands blocksize.

MAX_BLOCKSIZE is, in my mind, purely a safety valve-- a "just in case" upper limit to make sure it doesn't grow faster than affordable hardware and software can support.

Ideally, we never bump into it. If we go with my proposal (increase to 20MB now, then double ten times over the next twenty years) I think it is reasonably likely the market-determined size will never bump into MAX_BLOCKSIZE.

I think it is very unlikely that in 20 years we will need to support more Bitcoin transactions than all of the cash, credit card and international wire transactions that happen in the world today (and that is the scale of transactions that a pretty-good year-2035 home computer and network connection should be able to support).

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
NewLiberty
Legendary

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2014, 02:01:55 PM

I think you are confusing MAX_BLOCKSIZE with the floating, whatever-the market-demands blocksize.

MAX_BLOCKSIZE is, in my mind, purely a safety valve-- a "just in case" upper limit to make sure it doesn't grow faster than affordable hardware and software can support.

Ideally, we never bump into it. If we go with my proposal (increase to 20MB now, then double ten times over the next twenty years) I think it is reasonably likely the market-determined size will never bump into MAX_BLOCKSIZE.

I think it is very unlikely that in 20 years we will need to support more Bitcoin transactions than all of the cash, credit card and international wire transactions that happen in the world today (and that is the scale of transactions that a pretty-good year-2035 home computer and network connection should be able to support).

No, I am not confused on this matter.  I don't know why you would imagine this.  
It seems weird and bizzare (as if you imagine anyone that disagrees with your proposal must obviously be confused or insane...)

Visa today is about 2000 tx per second in average (non-peak) times.
Yes, I think Bitcoin can surpass this.  There are other problems with the way that scalability is limited than the block size to get there, this is just one.
And we agree on the purpose of the block size limit.  Just not on how to set it.

You don't know what the future market will look like.  You don't know what bandwidth or storage will be available.  Neither do I or anyone else.

Gavin Andresen
Legendary
qt

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2014, 02:20:48 PM

Yes, I think Bitcoin can surpass this.  There are other problems with the way that scalability is limited than the block size to get there, this is just one.
And we agree on the purpose of the block size limit.  Just not on how to set it.

You don't know what the future market will look like.  You don't know what bandwidth or storage will be available.  Neither do I or anyone else.

When you respond to me saying patronizing things like "there are other problems with the way scalability is limited," I have trouble not thinking you are either confused or insane. Or just lazy, and did not read my "Scalability Roadmap" blog post.

It is certainly true that nobody can predict the future with 100% accuracy. We might get hit by an asteroid before I finish this sentence. (whew! didn't!)

But extrapolating current trends seems to me to be the best we can do-- we are just as likely to be too conservative as too aggressive in our assumptions.

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
NewLiberty
Legendary

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2014, 02:28:55 PM

You don't know what the future market will look like.  You don't know what bandwidth or storage will be available.  Neither do I or anyone else.

When you respond to me saying patronizing things like "there are other problems with the way scalability is limited," I have trouble not thinking you are either confused or insane. Or just lazy, and did not read my "Scalability Roadmap" blog post.

It is certainly true that nobody can predict the future with 100% accuracy. We might get hit by an asteroid before I finish this sentence. (whew! didn't!)

But extrapolating current trends seems to me to be the best we can do-- we are just as likely to be too conservative as too aggressive in our assumptions.

Are you simply unaware of the other ways scalability is limited and only focused on this one?
We can go into it if you like.
I was looking to keep this discussion on the more narrow issue.

Gavin Andresen
Legendary
qt

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2014, 02:30:20 PM

Are you simply unaware of the other ways scalability is limited and only focused on this one?
We can go into it if you like.
I was looking to keep this discussion on the more narrow issue.

Start a new thread.  HAVE you read my Scalability Roadmap blog post?

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: