Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 01:54:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How to keep safe from Bearwhales!  (Read 2376 times)
Coinapult (OP)

Activity: 67
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2014, 03:36:22 PM

Our Locks Plugin is now available to Payment Processors across the globe

Protect your customers from price swings with our new Locks plugin.
Locks can now be integrated seamlessly into your wallet / payment platform, offering your customers a way to Lock and unlock Bitcoin to USD, GBP, EUR, Gold and Silver.
Protect them from Bearwhales today! Contact:  Rob@coinapult.com

See how Electrum have done it.

https://medium.com/@Coinapult/electrum-locks-plugin-beta-9d8f724af19a

Coinapult.com - Crushing Payment Obstacles
cryptworld

Activity: 714
Merit: 503

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 03:54:19 PM

so, with this you can lock the fiat value of your electrum bitcoin wallet,isn't it?
allthingsluxury
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2014, 03:57:05 PM

Will have to take a look. Thanks.

LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2014, 05:22:44 PM

so, with this you can lock the fiat value of your electrum bitcoin wallet,isn't it?

i guess it is. circle and most other exchanges will adopt this.

justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 05:38:17 PM

This is an extremely strange service being offered.

A customer of this service provides an interest-free loan to some unknown counterparty, denominated in something other than Bitcoin, only using Bitcoin as the payment mechanism for issuing and repaying the loan.

That's fine if that really is a service that people want, but why is the marketing for Locks so incredibly vague and imprecise about what is actually going on?
Connor936

Activity: 109

View Profile
October 09, 2014, 01:34:12 AM

A customer of this service provides an interest-free loan to some unknown counterparty, denominated in something other than Bitcoin, only using Bitcoin as the payment mechanism for issuing and repaying the loan.

That's fine if that really is a service that people want, but why is the marketing for Locks so incredibly vague and imprecise about what is actually going on?
Silk Road did this in it's early days. They allowed people to lock in the US dollar price of a transaction when the funds were being held in escrow. When the buyer would release escrow the seller would receive more or less bitcoin depending on which direction bitcoin went.

This may have been how Ross was able to amass so much bitcoin as the price of bitcon was generally rising
jmw74

Activity: 236
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 09, 2014, 09:38:21 AM

Because they don't want to call it "selling with no option to withdraw", which is what it really is.

Exchanges let you withdraw either fiat or bitcoin.  Locking services only let you withdraw bitcoin.  I am not sure why there would be demand for this kind of crippled service, when exchanges already exist and do more.
sgk
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

!! HODL !!

View Profile
October 09, 2014, 09:58:47 AM

Something doesn't sound right.

I watched their demo video. Here's how they say the locking works "If you lock 1000 EUR worth of Bitcoins, you'll always have 1000 EUR worth of BTC, whether the price is 1000 EUR/BTC or 1 EUR/BTC."

BUT

What it doesn't tell is - what happens if 1 BTC is worth 2000 EUR in future. You will still have 1000 EUR worth of Bitcoins?

I THINK YES.

So if you believe in a bright future of BTC, you should NOT lock your BTC.
seriouscoin

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 09, 2014, 10:11:25 AM

LOL what a deceiving tactic.....

OP why didnt you include your "hidden" fee?

Yeah at 8% , fck NO!
Coinapult (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2014, 12:56:04 PM

Regarding fees: We apply a small spread, typically 1-2% on the exchange price quoted. When Locking you are taken to a confirmation page where you can choose to accept the exchange rate, or not. I am not sure where the idea of an 8% fee came from, which would be high indeed! When we say 1-2%, that is to cover all eventualities. The most you will pay is 2% but usually the rate quoted is lower.

Locks is useful anywhere a stable balance is needed for example, for savings, wages or rent payments. The service is useful where people don't have an exchange account and perhaps aren't into Bitcoin for speculative reasons.

Please do join our wallet demo on Thursday where you can put queries directly to the team: http://tinyurl.com/ljqjn77

Coinapult (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2014, 12:57:30 PM

Hi Cryptworld, Yes, that is exactly right.

Coinapult (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2014, 01:13:03 PM

Hi Justusranvier, The following interview with CEO Ira Miller covers the service in depth.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_Y15iqQA9g

MsCollec
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 01:19:30 PM

I will wait for users review before downloading.
btckold24

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 01:31:11 PM

personally if you believe in bitcoin why would you want to have no upside to your bitcoin. If you lock in and it goes up your stuck at the old rate.... I can see how this would be smart if you were dealing in a lot of btc though protecting some money.

YOU CAN ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
PLAY or INVEST

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄███
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░
▀██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
▄████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄
▀██░████████░███████░█▀

Rainbot
Happy Hour
Faucet
Phrenico

Activity: 75

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 02:24:59 PM

personally if you believe in bitcoin why would you want to have no upside to your bitcoin. If you lock in and it goes up your stuck at the old rate.... I can see how this would be smart if you were dealing in a lot of btc though protecting some money.

At or near bubble peak, I would give this a shot. I would just wonder what the tax consequences of this are; more options to trade while avoiding taxable events is always a good thing.
inBitweTrust

Merit: 501

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 02:39:49 PM

Regarding fees: We apply a small spread, typically 1-2% on the exchange price quoted. When Locking you are taken to a confirmation page where you can choose to accept the exchange rate, or not. I am not sure where the idea of an 8% fee came from, which would be high indeed! When we say 1-2%, that is to cover all eventualities. The most you will pay is 2% but usually the rate quoted is lower.

In coinapult's defense, I can verify the spread is indeed 2% as I just verified -

https://api.coinapult.com/api/ticker?filter=small

Granted this is a larger spread than bitstamp, circle or coinbase.  Coinbases is 0.3% , coinapult still fulfills a important role in countries outside the US .

inBitweTrust

Merit: 501

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 02:45:14 PM

Because they don't want to call it "selling with no option to withdraw", which is what it really is.

Exchanges let you withdraw either fiat or bitcoin.  Locking services only let you withdraw bitcoin.  I am not sure why there would be demand for this kind of crippled service, when exchanges already exist and do more.

As someone who is a longterm bitcoin bull, I see no use for this feature either, outside of a tool for day traders , but than again other exchanges have lower fees. If you don't want to ride on the volatility roller coaster than just cash out and hold the fiat yourself instead of with a third party.

This being said, coinapult is an important provider for interacting with banks outside the US.

LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2014, 03:52:15 PM

Something doesn't sound right.

I watched their demo video. Here's how they say the locking works "If you lock 1000 EUR worth of Bitcoins, you'll always have 1000 EUR worth of BTC, whether the price is 1000 EUR/BTC or 1 EUR/BTC."

BUT

What it doesn't tell is - what happens if 1 BTC is worth 2000 EUR in future. You will still have 1000 EUR worth of Bitcoins?

I THINK YES.

So if you believe in a bright future of BTC, you should NOT lock your BTC.

these bastards  Grin !

(by the way: nice tool coinapult)

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 04:18:28 PM

This is a hedging tool prototype. It's a good concept. I imagine many of these tools will become available through Bitcoin 2.0 apps where you can lock many assets with various triggers.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Coinapult (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2014, 04:32:03 PM

Hi btckold24, I'm sure you realize capital gains is only one aspect of Bitcoin's upside.  Instant, irreversible, global payments is of course another significant upside to the technology. 

Locks is designed to be an easy way for individuals interested realizing the value of the blockchain to do so, without the cumbersome process of learning to deal with exchanges.  Locks lowers the barrier to entry for new users because they can think in terms of assets they are used to and simultaneously spend where ever Bitcoin is accepted.

We anticipate by lowering the barrier to entry and making new users more comfortable, more people will experience how seamless Bitcoin transactions are and thus have greater insight to Bitcoin's upside and hold Bitcoin  Smiley

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: