Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 06:08:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The problem with bitcoin is buying bitcoin  (Read 5406 times)
bitcoinbot (OP)

Activity: 357
Merit: 130

View Profile
October 09, 2014, 10:42:58 AM

If bitcoin is ever to become mainstream then it needs to sort out its achilles heel. That is buying bitcoin in the first place. The process should be so easy that even your gran can do it.
Unfortunately at the moment its way to complicated.

People won't buy bitcoin if they don't understand how to and if none buys bitcoin no one will spend bitcoin except geeks and criminals.

Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
newIndia
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1049

View Profile
October 09, 2014, 10:53:57 AM

If bitcoin is ever to become mainstream then it needs to sort out its achilles heel. That is buying bitcoin in the first place. The process should be so easy that even your gran can do it.

People won't buy bitcoin if they don't understand how to and if none buys bitcoin no one will spend bitcoin except geeks and criminals.

1. Get a reputed seller at Local Bitcoins.

2. Pay him and provide your address.

3. Bitcoin is in your account.

It seems simpler than buying a pen drive in Amazon. Which part of the Bitcoin buying seems complicated to U ?

p.s. Some new websites are offering Bitcoin against credit card. Avoid them at any means. They're gonna complicate your life.

zimmah
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 09, 2014, 10:57:52 AM

There are many easy was to get bitcoin, and more of them are coming practically daily.

Its not that hard to Google "buy bitcoin" and pick the option you find the most conveniënt for you.
amaclin
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1019

View Profile
October 09, 2014, 11:07:18 AM

Buying bitcoins is not a problem at all !
The real problem is spending bitcoins Grin
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2014, 11:10:52 AM

If you live in the US, Coinbase is super easy.

My 74 year old mother was able to buy bitcoins through them using her phone.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Bitcoin Magnet

Activity: 113
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2014, 11:12:59 AM

I agree, that's why I've started a site that makes it pretty damn easy to buy & sell if you have a UK bank account.

Let me know what you think: Bitcoin Magnet

Bitcoin Magnet - Buy & sell bitcoin automatically using your UK bank account!
bitcoinbot (OP)

View Profile
October 09, 2014, 01:34:11 PM

I have bought from localbitcoins and bitbargain however you pay a premium for this and it's not always easy. I bought some and the seller didn't send my bitcoin money got stuck in escrow or something.
Anyway, the point is my grandparents should be able to do it.

I will check out bitcoin magnet.
huoiuu

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

★Bitin.io★ - Instant Exchange

View Profile
October 09, 2014, 02:30:50 PM

dont agree with you.you know  now,you have much money ,but your money is not in your hands,they are been deposited  into bank by you.the same as the BTC  in future, many people will deposit the BTC into the BTC bank  Grin Grin,Do not need to take Bitcoin in hands.

lihuajkl
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 09, 2014, 03:12:21 PM

dont agree with you.you know  now,you have much money ,but your money is not in your hands,they are been deposited  into bank by you.the same as the BTC  in future, many people will deposit the BTC into the BTC bank  Grin Grin,Do not need to take Bitcoin in hands.
When it is possible, the bitcoin bank should be secure as cold wallet.
dkblueman

Activity: 62

View Profile
October 09, 2014, 03:18:57 PM

I disagree it is too complicated, but I do think the problem is people may think it is too complicated. IMO a good start to change this would be a social media campaign (facebook) showing the few simple steps on how to set up an online wallet and buy coins from localbitcoins or whatever. Shared this on your timeline, and offer to help any friends who may need it. It's something I have considered doing myself, but obviously the effect would be negligible. Done by a larger organisation, but then spread by many of us on here, it could have much more success.

Walter Rothbard

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

Bytecoin: 8VofSsbQvTd8YwAcxiCcxrqZ9MnGPjaAQm

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2014, 03:21:00 PM

Your thinking is centralized.  "Bitcoin" is not a monolith, and it can't do anything.

If you think that people want an easier way to buy Bitcoin, then you can make a lot of money by servicing that need.  You'll make the whole Bitcoin community better in the process.

cexylikepie

Activity: 779
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 09, 2014, 03:42:43 PM

If you live in the US, Coinbase is super easy.

My 74 year old mother was able to buy bitcoins through them using her phone.

I agree. I havent found anyone yet who cant use coinbase
ObscureBean
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2014, 03:44:33 PM

Circle was the solution for me, it litterally took no time and i was up and running and had my bitcoins from a credit card instantly.

Yup I second that!  Smiley Circle is the definitive site for buying bitcoin. I've bought BTC on a number of different sites but Circle really makes it super easy and it's pretty secure too.
After linking your card to your account and you can upload money instantly which gets converted automatically to BTC at current market rate. No other site that I know of can get you BTC that fast.
ikydesu

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

fb.com/Bitky.shop | Bitcoin Merch!Premium Quality!

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2014, 04:36:08 PM

Buying bitcoins is not a problem at all !
The real problem is spending bitcoins Grin

I think opposite Tongue
now, many places/store that accept bitcoin as payment or you can exchange to fiat Tongue
bitcoinbot (OP)

View Profile
October 09, 2014, 04:52:12 PM

Circle was the solution for me, it litterally took no time and i was up and running and had my bitcoins from a credit card instantly.

Yup I second that!  Smiley Circle is the definitive site for buying bitcoin. I've bought BTC on a number of different sites but Circle really makes it super easy and it's pretty secure too.
After linking your card to your account and you can upload money instantly which gets converted automatically to BTC at current market rate. No other site that I know of can get you BTC that fast.

I got stuck adding a bank account to circle because they wanted a routing number, I am in the UK and we don't use routing numbers.  I even called my bank and they confirmed they don't use them, it's a USA thing. The bank is santander.
Bitcoin Magnet

Activity: 113

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2014, 05:57:38 PM

I have bought from localbitcoins and bitbargain however you pay a premium for this and it's not always easy. I bought some and the seller didn't send my bitcoin money got stuck in escrow or something.
Anyway, the point is my grandparents should be able to do it.

I will check out bitcoin magnet.
Please do try it out and let me know what you think  Smiley

Bitcoin Magnet - Buy & sell bitcoin automatically using your UK bank account!
gjgjg

Activity: 448

View Profile
October 09, 2014, 06:04:25 PM

I bought 10 worth today from a local ATM, took 2mins and was in my account in 30. youre right that its not as easy as buying a can of coke at the moment, but if the will is there, then it is easy. Its bridging the gap for those without the will (ie joe public)

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
Cryptopher
Legendary

Activity: 1789
Merit: 1008

Keep it dense, yeah?

View Profile
October 09, 2014, 06:09:06 PM

Avoid buying - earn in Bitcoin. Of course, that doesn't work for everybody.

I must admit, I didn't get any bitcoins until I felt comfortable with the means of purchasing them. Once I overcame that hurdle I didn't feel as apprehensive. It's no wonder why its a mystery to many.

bornil267645

Activity: 406

AltoCenter.com

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2014, 06:24:03 PM

I think the real problem is that there is not enough selling of Bitcoin.

bitcoinbot (OP)

View Profile
October 09, 2014, 07:37:42 PM

Buying Bitcoin should be as easy as buying any currency. I should be able to go the post office and buy it over the counter or order it from a travel agent.
Places like localbitcoins make you feel like you are buying a bitcoin (who buys currency, ever)? Sure you exchange it but buy..

We need employers to start paying in bitcoin.

Sorry if this post makes little sense.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: